Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

bird photography lens recommendation for K-50

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post.
A few years back a bought a K-50 body in able to use old lenses from my Pentax film camera days, mostly A series, an F, and a 100mm M.
I did not realize at the time that these lenses are not totally fully functional with the digital body. In particular, I can't seem to get the light meter to work with the 100mm. But that is another issue that I will post separately. Today I would greatly appreciate advice for a new lens to shoot bird/wildlife pics. I'm not talking a multi thousand dollar, huge lens, just one that will take crisp pics at the 20 - 50 foot distance range. I have looked at Pentax 55-300 lens, and I see there are two models, the more expensive PLM WR RE, and the cheaper ED WR. My questions: 1. Will I be happy with the image quality from these lenses? 2. What is the difference between the two, which one would you go with? 3. Are there other lenses, including non-Pentax, that I should consider? 4. Would you recommend using a doubler lens?
Thanks so much, greatly appreciated!

10-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nativeson Quote
. . .. I have looked at Pentax 55-300 lens, and I see there are two models, the more expensive PLM WR RE, and the cheaper ED WR. . . .
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

regarding the 55-300 " family "

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The DA L version of the SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens is a budget variant that only comes bundled in camera kits. It lacks quick shift functionality and the bayonet is made of plastic rather than metal.

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax DA 55-300mm telephoto zoom lens was released in 2008 and retired in 2013 in favor of a WR variant.

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
Description:
This weather sealed version of the 55-300mm lens was introduced in 2013 with a US MSRP of $449.

The original version has been a favorite by many and with most Pentax DSLRs being weather sealed it makes a lot of sense that Pentax introduces it in a WR version.

Another upgrade is the lens coating which now is of the more flare resistant HD type. The front element is SP (Super Protect) coated like on the predecessor. SP coating repels grease and finger prints and is easier to clean should it get dirty.
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE is a compact, weather-sealed APS-C telephoto zoom lens featuring a retractable barrel design. This lens also debuts PLM (Pulse Motor) autofocus technology and an electromagnetic aperture diaphragm to facilitate smooth focusing and exposure adjustments during video recording.

Unlike earlier Pentax lenses, the aperture stop-down lever in the camera is not used to control the diaphragm of this lens. A DSLR launched in 2013 or later is needed to operate this new system (the K-500 is not compatible).

The optical formula of this lens has been redesigned compared to the previous DA 55-300mm F4-5.8. The new lens now has a rear-mounted focus ring and internal focus, is nearly 3 cm shorter when collapsed, but also loses about half a stop of light at both ends.

Notes
High-precision exposure control in movie mode thanks to the electromagnetic aperture diaphragm.
NOT COMPATIBLE with the K-500 and with Pentax DSLRs launched before 2013.
Firmware update needed for compatibility with the Pentax K-S2, K-S1, K-3 II, K-3, K-50, and K-1. Fully supported by newer bodies.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

follow the links to find a link to the " in depth " reviews of the lenses

if interested in " experienced " lenses, check the forum's marketplace which can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-29-2020 at 09:31 AM.
10-29-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it worth browsing some of the other threads on this:

Lenses. - PentaxForums.com

my post there links to more...
10-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post.
A few years back a bought a K-50 body in able to use old lenses from my Pentax film camera days, mostly A series, an F, and a 100mm M.
I did not realize at the time that these lenses are not totally fully functional with the digital body. In particular, I can't seem to get the light meter to work with the 100mm. But that is another issue that I will post separately. Today I would greatly appreciate advice for a new lens to shoot bird/wildlife pics. I'm not talking a multi thousand dollar, huge lens, just one that will take crisp pics at the 20 - 50 foot distance range. I have looked at Pentax 55-300 lens, and I see there are two models, the more expensive PLM WR RE, and the cheaper ED WR. My questions: 1. Will I be happy with the image quality from these lenses? 2. What is the difference between the two, which one would you go with? 3. Are there other lenses, including non-Pentax, that I should consider? 4. Would you recommend using a doubler lens?
Thanks so much, greatly appreciated!
I will say you won't be happy with the images from 300mm at that distance from a K50. You will not be able to fill the frame enough and will have to crop and the K50 doesn't have a lot of pixels to throw away in cropping.

10-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I will say you won't be happy with the images from 300mm at that distance from a K50. You will not be able to fill the frame enough and will have to crop and the K50 doesn't have a lot of pixels to throw away in cropping.
What "distance" are you talking about?
I used two different 'long' lenses with my K-30 - the DA 55-300mm f/5.8 ED WR and a Sigma 70-300mm f/5.6 APO DG lens ..... the DA was probably a tad better with an "APS-C" camera.
I did try a doubler, but only once or twice - in general I found it to make images worse.
Honestly, I was never completely happy until I got the KP body.
10-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What "distance" are you talking about?
The OP said 20-50 feet.
10-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Birding is many things to many people. Maybe a bit more info on the size bird and the photo desired. Also will you crop tight or do you need the environment to be showcases also? Maybe example shots - even if from others - will help.

10-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not talking a multi thousand dollar, huge lens, just one that will take crisp pics at the 20 - 50 foot distance range. I have looked at Pentax 55-300 lens
Within your budget range one of the 55-300 lenses is most likely the only Pentax choice. The other option would be a DA*60-250 but it is more expensive and much heavier.
I see there are two models, the more expensive PLM WR RE, and the cheaper ED WR.
The PLM version is the most recommended for birding as the AF is much faster. I do not have that version but others consider it an excellent lens.
4. Would you recommend using a doubler lens?
Not really. Certainly not a 'doubler' which would be 2x. Pentax makes a 1.4x teleconverter that has excellent glass and works well but it is expensive and whenever you add a TC you reduce the light available. 1 stop for the 1.4x TC and 2 stops for any 2x one. With a fast lens like the DA*60-250 or DA*300 the 1.4x will work well. On the 55-300 I have been told it works but only in good light. Usually you can get the same result by cropping.
1. Will I be happy with the image quality from these lenses?
Only you can decide what level of quality is acceptable to you. But with your budget I would give the 55-300PLM a try and see if it works for you.

Also note that when you start using 300mm lenses your technique has to improve as well or you will not get good images from any lens.
10-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another consideration between the PLM and the cheaper 55-300 is the noise.The PLM is almost silent whereas the screw drive of the older model can scare the birds!
10-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Within your budget range one of the 55-300 lenses is most likely the only Pentax choice. The other option would be a DA*60-250 but it is more expensive and much heavier.

The PLM version is the most recommended for birding as the AF is much faster. I do not have that version but others consider it an excellent lens.

Not really. Certainly not a 'doubler' which would be 2x. Pentax makes a 1.4x teleconverter that has excellent glass and works well but it is expensive and whenever you add a TC you reduce the light available. 1 stop for the 1.4x TC and 2 stops for any 2x one. With a fast lens like the DA*60-250 or DA*300 the 1.4x will work well. On the 55-300 I have been told it works but only in good light. Usually you can get the same result by cropping.
When I talked about a "doubler", I was referring to a device that attaches to the front of a lens as a filter would. I have tried several of them, and have never gotten a good image.

Back when I was a Canon user, I did have a Kenko device which came between the camera body and the lens, doubling the focal length of the lens. At another site, users warned me that this would reduce the light hitting the focusing device and not leave enough light to focus, but my Rebel did anyway. Today, I use a 55-300mm PLM lens, with a 1.4X TC at the end, and I find the combination works quite well.
10-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I've got it right, this should give you some idea what you can expect to see through a 300mm lens.
Attached Images

10-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I talked about a "doubler", I was referring to a device that attaches to the front of a lens as a filter would. I have tried several of them, and have never gotten a good image.
Got it. And I agree. I tried one. Once. Waste of money.

Good to know the 1.4x TC works well on the 55-300 PLM.
10-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Got it. And I agree. I tried one. Once. Waste of money.

Good to know the 1.4x TC works well on the 55-300 PLM.
The lens becomes 77-420mm f/8-f/9.5 once I add the TC.

My experience is with the KP.
A few minutes ago I took a photo out the window at 1/500 f/9.5 ISO=12000, and the system did focus.
I don't know how/whether it would work on a K-50.
10-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few minutes ago I took a photo out the window at 1/500 f/9.5 ISO=12000, and the system did focus.
That is really amazing. I used the 1.4xTC on the DA*60-250 for some time and was quite pleased with the results. I never tried it on the 55-300.
I'm not sure an older model camera would get the result you are getting on the KP but I have seen others post that the 1.4x works fine with the 55-300.
10-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Birding is many things to many people. Maybe a bit more info on the size bird and the photo desired. Also will you crop tight or do you need the environment to be showcases also? Maybe example shots - even if from others - will help.
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
If I've got it right, this should give you some idea what you can expect to see through a 300mm lens.
You both have said it. Many birds are less than the 150mm / 6 inch dimension indicated in the sketch shown.

I shoot with the DA560 and crop heavily at times.

also remember an APSC sensor is 24 mm wide x 16 mm high

300 mm may leave you feeling a little short.

Just my $0.02

But just for comparison, consider that not all birds are created equal, some herons exceed 3 feet (900mm) In length.

Depending on what the op wants to shoot I recommend committing the following to memory

Image size = subject size x focal length / distance