Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I have been using the Sigma 18-300mm F:3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C for a couple of years now. It's ideal as a walk-about lens when wanting to travel light so to speak, without the need to carry various lenses.I've used it for various types of photography from landscapes to shots of the moon. It's very solid at wide and mid-range angles albeit that at full zoom you will need to use high shutter speeds, as well as SR, to obtain the best results. Having said that, it performs very well on a tripod with very good sharpness. In general, Auto focus works well although it hunts a little at full zoom in low light. But overall, it's gonna give you a very wide choice of focal lengths in-one!
Ordinarily I'd steer folks away from so-called "super-zoom" lenses, but I also own the Sigma 18-300 and I'd agree it's rather good. At the same focal lengths as the HD DA55-300 (screw-drive version), it's generally not quite as sharp in the centre but actually better in the borders. At the wide end, the centre is excellent but it needs stopping down for decent border performance. Vignetting, distortion at the wider end, leisurely AF and lack of WR are the compromises, but they don't detract from this being a very decent lens of its type.

11-05-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I have been using the Sigma 18-300mm F:3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C for a couple of years now. It's ideal as a walk-about lens when wanting to travel light so to speak, without the need to carry various lenses.I've used it for various types of photography from landscapes to shots of the moon. It's very solid at wide and mid-range angles albeit that at full zoom you will need to use high shutter speeds, as well as SR, to obtain the best results. Having said that, it performs very well on a tripod with very good sharpness. In general, Auto focus works well although it hunts a little at full zoom in low light. But overall, it's gonna give you a very wide choice of focal lengths in-one!
I too would recommend the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO HSM C. This is a great, affordable, all around lens that will cover a good portion of needs such as landscape and wildlife shots. I use this with my K-70 as my general walk-around lens. Even though I own both the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR and the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE, I find myself using the Sigma 18-300mm more. It works great with the K-70. Once your father-in-law has the camera for a while and and gets a feel for it, then it might be time to look at more expensive options for ultra telephoto or ultra wide.
11-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Thanks for the recommendations, folks! I believe the more moderate telephoto of the 55-300 would be better for his needs. He's not a photographer, at all, so while he knows what photos he wants to get, he doesn't know how they're made. He will have to find out what he likes.

What's a reasonable larger aperture option in the same basic range?
The 300 f/4 is another option. You can get an FA 300 f/4.5 for cheaper than the DA version but it is not very usable below f/5.6 in my opinion.

A better lens for wildlife is either the 150-450 for Pentax or a 150-600 for other brands. But those lenses are much heavier, and much more expensive.

Here's my opinion: if the 70-300 doesn't work for him for some reason, and because he is not heavily into photography, then get him a used superzoom bridge like the P950. The reason I say that is that beyond the 70-300 range, options are much heavier, more expensive, and require more work to actually push those options to their limits and get your money's worth out of it.
11-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the other options. Is there no equivalent of a 70-200 2.8 in Pentax world?

11-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the other options. Is there no equivalent of a 70-200 2.8 in Pentax world?
there is but it is not cheap, light or small
QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Introduction
In order to cater to professional photographers, a manufacturer must meet several requirements. In addition to a full frame body, a 70-200mm F2.8 telephoto lens is very high on the list. It is thus not very surprising that Pentax released its own version of that lens just prior to the launch of the Pentax K-1 itself. .. .

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW telephoto zoom lens was announced at the CP+ tradeshow in February, 2015 preceding the announcement of the K-1 Pentax 24x36mm full-frame DSLR. Together with the HD Pentax 150-450mm extreme telephoto zoom lens these are the first Pentax lenses to cover the 24x36 mm full-frame format since the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR lens, which was introduced back in 2009.

While this lens is designed for the 24x36mm full-frame format it can also be used on cameras with the APS-C sensor format. With a respectable maximum aperture of F2.8 and rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh this zoom can be used as a portrait lens in addition to its more traditional use for sports, wild life and distant landscapes.

This lens is pro-grade as indicated by its star designation and also by its feature list:
* All-weather protection (AW)
* HD coating
* SP coating of the front element
* Aerobright II nano-coating of the inner elements
* Four super-low dispersion elements, two ED elements and two super ED elements with properties like flourite elements
* Enhanced Quick-shift function via a three-way switch on the barrel
* Focus limiter
* Tripod mount
The lens hood has the for Pentax traditional removable piece that allows for easy adjustment of an attached polarizing filter.
The lens has a built-in DC type autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus not possible with the K100D/K110D and *istD series cameras. Autofocus is not available with film cameras. . . .

Recommended By Average Price Average User Rating
100% of reviewers $1,666.95 9.64
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-70-200mm-f28-ed-dc-a...#ixzz6cyGnzzeI

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-05-2020 at 05:51 PM.
11-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a Tamron model for Pentax that is reasonably priced and well-regarded: Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

There are also 3 Sigma models: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-200mm-f2-8-ex-dg-os-hsm.html

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-05-2020 at 05:55 PM.
11-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! What about the Tamron model? Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I know many older Tamron zooms are not well regarded, but I don't think he would be as critical as I would be.

---------- Post added 11-05-20 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Simul-post!

11-05-2020, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I would say this is not an ideal wildlife lens, if that is what you are truly after. The limited reach you get in exchange for the amount of glass you carry does not really make sense.
11-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, 200mm is not ideal for wildlife but can be helpful at times

you never know when you might bet lucky in the forums' marketplace - " buy/sell "

that is where I found my " experienced " D FA * 70-200mm F2.8

the owner, because of bad health, was getting rid of his gear

I jumped on the ad first, 15 others sent pms to the owner as well
11-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are three Pentax options:

on crop if you want 70-200 equivalent lens the DA* 50-135 is a good choice but I suspect you want actual 70-200 on a crop body for the longer reach. The two Pentax branded options are the DFA mentioned earlier and the older FA* 80-200. HOWEVER none of these are typically considered long enough for wildlife unless stalking like a pro or using a blind or very large and very tame subjects are in play.
11-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know many older Tamron zooms are not well regarded, but I don't think he would be as critical as I would be.
Generally, older Tamron lenses with the SP designation - like the 70-200/2.8 - are very good performers and match the OEMs in sharpness.

I agree with other posters here that 70-200 is not usually good for common wildlife, except for large animals such as deer.

Edit: How much is your FIL willing to carry? "Wildlife lenses" are generally large and heavy.

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-05-2020 at 06:09 PM.
11-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Keep in mind that his "for wildlife" request does NOT mean he will acquire the skills or habits of the dedicated wildlife photographer. That is why I am going to recommend generic zooms for him that may not be the most ideal for the experienced wildlife photog. He is more of an outdoorsy/overlanding/survivalist type and will be focused more on those things than specializing. Or, you know, maybe not and he'll really take to it. At which point we can get him more specialized.
11-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps something like the Panasonic FZ1000 II might be good for him. 1" sensor, so better quality than most cell phones, and a 25-400mm (35mm eq) zoom lens.
11-09-2020, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Telephoto

Ok guys this is not mint as an affront to anyone on this site. please do not chop my head off.

I'm new to the DSLR world of photography, and my opinion is suspect at best, however if you are looking for a good lens for a beginner that takes decent images and are not sure if your father in law is willing to commit to spending $300 to $500 for a lens I would suggest that you seriously look at a DA L 55-300. These people on this web site are the best there are anywhere and their advice is the best, and they know more about cameras and lenses than I will ever know. As a newbie myself I went with a DA L 50-200 because the prime lenses in this category were way beyond my price range. It takes decent pics, is light and I use it a lot. Money at my house is very tight and to spend $300 for a lens I might (might not) like and end up putting it on the shelf is just too much money, however if he really likes the DA L lenses he can always go back and get a prime lens.
11-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
[B]Ok guys this is not mint as an affront to anyone on this site . . . I'm new to the DSLR world of photography, and my opinion is suspect at best, . . .
I don't think any one thinks that your opinion is an " affront " or not worthy of posting

frankly, my " expertise " at photography is not at a high level either , I'm just someone who posts a lot

the DA L series lenses are certainly worth a look:

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-DA L Lens Series
SMC Pentax-DA L zoom lenses are optimized for use with Pentax Digital SLRs. They cannot be used on film because they only cover the APS-C image circle. The DA L series is a budget series and differs from the DA series in that its lenses do not offer quick-shift focusing and have plastic rather than metal mounts. Pentax DA L lenses are only available in camera kit bundles.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (no aperture ring)
Digital-only
Read more at: Pentax DA L Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-09-2020 at 09:59 AM.