Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
An aperture ring does that for me. Perhaps you don't feel the same it's normal. No two people can have the same way of thinking. But I like using the aperture ring while taking photos. I feel more involved with the process.
Thanks for explaining. Yes definitely a different process. I just tried that on the K-1 with several F lenses and I could not even get my fingers on the aperture ring because of the large overhang on the K-1 body. So not for me.
How do you set the exposure then? I just see 'F _ _" and have to use the green button. I guess I am so used to the control wheels that I don't even have to think about it anymore, totally automatic.

11-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
IMO with the third dial present in modern Pentax bodies there is no real need for an aperture ring but, on cameras with two e-dials, having part of the exposure control on the lens would make the workflow faster in, say, Av mode.
I don't know that the 3rd dial is such a time-saver; setting the ISO is plenty quick & easy on the Pentax flagships by pushing the ISO button and simultaneously turning the back (second) dial.
12-07-2020, 04:49 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks for explaining. Yes definitely a different process. I just tried that on the K-1 with several F lenses and I could not even get my fingers on the aperture ring because of the large overhang on the K-1 body. So not for me.
How do you set the exposure then? I just see 'F _ _" and have to use the green button. I guess I am so used to the control wheels that I don't even have to think about it anymore, totally automatic.
I start by setting the camera to aperture priority and taking a test photo. I then look at the histogram to see how accurate the exposure was, adjust and take another test photo. once I'm happy I change to manual mode. Lock in the settings, that's iso, aperture and shutter speed! And take the photo
12-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
once I'm happy I change to manual mode. Lock in the settings, that's iso, aperture and shutter speed!
Now you really have me confused. If you are getting the exposure using the aperture priority auto setting then why change to manual? Seems counter-intuitive.

My method starts similar to yours. I always use aperture priority, set the aperture I want to use, check the indicated shutter speed and adjust ISO to get a shutter speed that will work for the subject. Take a test shot and look at the histogram. Then use the exposure compensation button to adjust. Repeat the adjustment until I am happy, then take the photo. I think we arrive at the same place except you get to manually set the camera based on the settings the camera was already set at. And I can see the fun in that, it just seems extra work for the same result.

12-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Now you really have me confused. If you are getting the exposure using the aperture priority auto setting then why change to manual? Seems counter-intuitive.

My method starts similar to yours. I always use aperture priority, set the aperture I want to use, check the indicated shutter speed and adjust ISO to get a shutter speed that will work for the subject. Take a test shot and look at the histogram. Then use the exposure compensation button to adjust. Repeat the adjustment until I am happy, then take the photo. I think we arrive at the same place except you get to manually set the camera based on the settings the camera was already set at. And I can see the fun in that, it just seems extra work for the same result.
It does seem like extra work! But that is how I learn to shoot manually for each and every condition! Otherwise I might ruin the photo with wrong guessing!