Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Low light event shots with the Tamron 70-200/2.8

First of all, I'm no people shooter, I prefer non-sentient subjects like trees and mountains... OTOH, I'm not so great at socializing, esp. with people who I would only meet at events like a baby shower for my wife's niece (and therefore have nothing to talk about with) - so in this case pretending to be an event shooter keeps me from having to socialize...and the family gets a free photog. win/win.

I've considered my K200d to mis-focus a bit, and in the wild I generally MF most of the time, but in this case I decided to test out AF - I find when a big lens is pointed at someone for too long (while I MF the short-throw Tamron) they tend to notice, and start acting strange (or turning away), so AF is better for candids.

I was shooting inside a church/meeting hall (or something - think low budget wedding reception), with generally dim light. Hand held, ISO 1250 (trying to cut back on the grain a bit vs. 1600 - can't wait for the K20D), f/2.8

I found the AF to work better than expected, with generally usable shots. AF was quick and accurate in general, and hunting was rare, but when it did hunt, it took a while to cycle back from close focus.

Overall, I'm really loving the versatility of this lens.

EDIT: added exif links.

Last edited by heliphoto; 11-10-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added exif links...
11-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

With f2.8 and long focal lenght the dof is so thin it might look like the body is missing focus.
11-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Those look very, very good to me for iso 1250 + f/2.8.

What FL + shutter speed?
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
OTOH, I'm not so great at socializing, esp. with people who I would only meet at events like a baby shower for my wife's niece (and therefore have nothing to talk about with) - so in this case pretending to be an event shooter keeps me from having to socialize...and the family gets a free photog. win/win.
I've never thought abut it that way before, but I just realized you have me *pegged*!

Nice shots, too! :-)

11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
With f2.8 and long focal lenght the dof is so thin it might look like the body is missing focus.
Absolutely. That's part of what impressed me about my experience that afternoon. Many times the focus was pretty darn good.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Those look very, very good to me for iso 1250 + f/2.8.

What FL + shutter speed?
Thanks Jay... (Ok, I want to confirm your name is Jay before I keep calling you that - I got that from other posters but I don't know where they got it...)

I went back and added exif links (I was too tired/lazy to do that last night when I posted). Many were at 200mm, and most were 1/50 sec. though some were as slow as 1/30 sec. As you can see in the exif, I actually had -0.7 EV compensation (in AV mode f/2.8) to try to keep shutter speeds in a usable range for candids. Boosting exposures in post lead to added noise, but at least I have noisy usable images rather than blurry ones. I probably should have just boosted the ISO to 1600, but on my K200D I always feel that the size of the "grain" this creates makes the photos quite soft. I dunno which is the better solution, but this seems to have worked out ok.

Thanks for commenting.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant to add that these are all cropped to 4x5 ratio (and some are cropped in closer for composition reasons).
11-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
OTOH, I'm not so great at socializing, esp. with people who I would only meet at events like a baby shower for my wife's niece (and therefore have nothing to talk about with) - so in this case pretending to be an event shooter keeps me from having to socialize...and the family gets a free photog. win/win.
I'm with you there Josh, we can come here if we want to talk.
I hope the puppy was alright after that kiss.

Pretty good shots, I'm sure the family are happy with them.