Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My new 35-135

Hinman sold me a few lens including a Pentax F 35-135/3.5-4.5, which I got to play a bit this weekend. I really like the zoom range and find it pretty sharp... maybe not like my 50mm, but as good as my kit lens!

Anyway, here are a few pictures and you can find a bit more on my blog.

Hopefully, I'll get to play with the Pentax FA 28-80/3.5-4.7 I bought from Hinman soon enough!

Thanks Hinman, I really appreciate those lenses.

11-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am glad that you like the lens. I also have a test photo set on the lens and thanks to YJD for allowing me an extra day to play with the lens.

I think I like the range in the lens the best. But I do have some caveats not liking it especially on the longer than expected minimum focusing distance. It is about 1.6m or 5 feet which is a bit too far. The close up in 135mm get you closer but it would be more convenient if the lens behave like DA 50-200.

And I won't be surprised if you find better photos with the Pentax FA 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 power zoom as I have better liking on the power zoom than the F 35-135 short trial out experience because of the lighter weight and better MFD in the power zoom. Both lens are better in my view than kit's lens for walk around purpose with less lens changing. In IQ and sharpness, they are quite close to kit's lens quality and that of DA 50-200. I would say the power zoom has better color, contrast and saturation than both the kit's lens and DA 50-200.

Much appreciated for the report,
Hin
11-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes the Macro function isn't really a macro, as you can see in the last pictures I posted here.

We got 3-4 inches of snow today in only 3 hours! I which I had my Pentax with me because the time I get home it will be dark... well, with the snow it should look go ok though, so I might try a few pictures with the 28-80. Don't expect pictures tomorrow though, I might need a day or two.
11-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a picture with the 35-135 and the Raynox... Ok, it's kind of cheating to get macro pictures but it's still cheap! Anyway, I was just testing. I was also testing the frames around the pictures, so forgive me if you don't like it!

11-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I have sold the lens to the right person. You bring out the better parts of the lens more than I do. I especially love the #3 and #4 in the series. Great photos.

If you are ready to jump for the next idea, I would suggest you a good wide angle zoom or a good AF prime. I have them covered in two lens and both are excellent lens that I recommend:

The zoom is one of the best value zoom that I have had and I used the Tokina zoom to replace my kit's lens and I never look back as this wide end zoom is outstanding in the wide end that cover the weakness in 18mm to 21mm in kit's lens. The wide end zoom is renowned as the plastic fantastic by many and it is a great gem in my book. It is priced around $100 and you need a lens hood for this macho lens as it has a whooping 77 front element.

The DA 21mm f/3.2 limited is the best value gem to have for limited prime. It is not as fast as other limited with f/2.8 but in outdoor, this pancake lens make it a tiny outfit with your camera. I got it used for $360 and it is a major step up from what you get used to in consumer zoom lens.

I should have both of these two lens for sale as I bought way too many lens again. I replaced both of the wide angle lens with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, another recommended candidate for kit's lens. I am a lens explorer, please PM me for a discounted price for previous loyal buyers.

Thanks,
Hin
11-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the compliment and the offer, but I don't have any more money for my camera right now, will see if my family will give me some money for Christmas!!!!

Anyway, I agree with you I need to wide angle lens and also I would like to get a 70-300. So I'll keep those lens as a recommendation when I'll have the money!
11-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Igilligan

Hin keeps spreading the Joy

Thanks to Hin for sharing his LBA with us.

I absolutely love the B&W swingset shot.... that was worth the price all by itself...

I also put the raynox on every used lens I by just to see how well they do...

Aint LBA fun!

11-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the compliment... I love B&W pictures. I create my B&W under Bibble Pro using their Andy plugin (B&W film simulation).