Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax adapters are without doubt the best. But I have several OEM adapters (without the flange) and I just remove the spring. They work fine. If they have a tendency to unscrew from the lens, a little dab of Loctite will fix that.

11-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Really, I wonder why is there no option to just buy as many adapters as m42 lenses one might have and just swap them like native lenses? I hate that moment when you have to carefully attach the adapter and then screw lens on it every time.
I've done that with all my Adaptall lenses, but only have a handful of them...
11-10-2020, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Pentax adapters are without doubt the best. But I have several OEM adapters (without the flange) and I just remove the spring. They work fine. If they have a tendency to unscrew from the lens, a little dab of Loctite will fix that.
Probably the easiest method. If the OEM adapters are in scarce supply, you can always get third party ones and wont feel as bad to remove the spring and secure to the back of the lens with locktite. Most M42 lenses are also wide enough at the rear that you'd have additional friction fit. Narrower lenses, I'd tend to use with the clip on as they don't even go past the adapter in width. (e.g Tak 35 or Mir 37/2.8)

(Long time ago) On a larger and heavier lens (eg Helios 40) I did drill a small indent where the locking pin would go to guarantee that I wouldn't accidently twist off the lens on the go. I do have a film camera where I leave an adapter clipped in for M42 lenses only

I use Sony now and have a handful of m42 adapters to fit out whatever m42 lenses I might fancy using on a particular outing.
11-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I have several OEM adapters
Ooops ... I meant third party.

11-11-2020, 12:39 AM   #20
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've done that with all my Adaptall lenses, but only have a handful of them...
How did you do that, glue?
11-11-2020, 03:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use either the orginal Pentax adapter with the spring, if I am intending to use more then one M42 lens in a row on my DSLR.
Or I put a chinese copy of the Pentax adapter with the spring removed onto the lens and let it stay on the lens. As I need some force to unscrew my adapter there is no need to glue it onto the lens. It just stays there by itself (most of the time).

If I only had K bodies to use the M42 lenses on, I would propably buy a cheap adapter for every lens, remove the spring and let it stay on the lens. The issue would be to find good manufactured adapters. You can hear some complaints about how they fit. I have been lucky mine fits quite well.
But, as I also have two M42 bodies this is no option for me.
11-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
How did you do that, glue?
no, just leave the mount on the lens....

11-11-2020, 04:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm a little late to the party, but my approach is to simply leave the M42 to K adapter on the one M42 lens that I own. It is rock-solid and really easy to put on and remove.
11-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #24

The techniques that Stevebrot describes are the ones I find work best. An equal case can be made for laying the camera on its back but this increases the chances of debris falling into the camera.

I find pointing the lens to the ground makes it easier to square up the threads reducing the chance of damaging the threads.
11-11-2020, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
easiest?

buy a camera body that you intend to use as your M42-only body, put the OEM adapter on it, and leave it - you'll never have to worry about the adapter ever again...
All ingenious is simple, thanks!
11-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

If using the genuine adapter it takes mere seconds to take it out of the body. If you're performing that many lens swaps the only really viable method is as pepperberry says and that's to have a second dedicated m42 body with the adapter in it.

You can use the cheap chinese adapters with the spring removed but you'd still either have to buy a ton of them for all your m42 lenses or sit there unscrewing them. Plus the Chinese adapters are pretty crap, they have been reported to sometimes shed metal and their tolerances are bad which means they potentially might not hit infinity even if the design should let them.