Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After suggestions for something different to use on my K30

I'm looking for some ideas for a lens with an aperture ring that I can use on my K30. It's had the solenoid replaced and works fine with the DA Limiteds and other modern lenses but I've got other cameras that I can use those on. So I'm thinking about putting something different on there. Either an M42 or K mount is fine and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Pentax lens. The only real criteria are that I prefer primes, it should have a focal length of no more than about 70mm and it needs to be reasonably priced. "Interesting" bokeh is fine as well.

So tell me some of your favourites.

11-11-2020, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
. . . The only real criteria are that I prefer primes, it should have a focal length of no more than about 70mm and it needs to be reasonably priced. "Interesting" bokeh is fine as well.

" reasonably priced " is a little vague

perhaps one of the FA " Limiteds " 31mm, 43mm, 77mm

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-D FA Lens Series
SMC Pentax-D FA lenses have fixed focal lengths and are optimized for use with both Pentax Film & Digital SLRs. They cover the full-frame 24x36mm image circle.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (aperture ring on select lenses)
Film & Digital

Read more at: Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

warning it is hard to stop at just one " Limited "
11-11-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
" reasonably priced " is a little vague

perhaps one of the FA " Limiteds " 31mm, 43mm, 77mm

Read more at: Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

warning it is hard to stop at just one " Limited "
I have the Three Amigo's but was looking for something else, something a bit different.
11-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #4

Samyang 85mm f1.4 and laowa 60mm f2.8 2:1 macro, Both are good

11-11-2020, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I would recommend the Pentax DFA 50 Macro. It will allow 1:1 macro work, is autofocus, but with quickshift and allows Catch-In Focus. Hood is included. Its F2.8 aperture will allow a beautiful bokeh for non-macro work (hexagonal-shaped sometimes). It is compatible Full Frame and features the aperture ring!

I got mine new for 220 € on a Black Friday sale.
11-11-2020, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Takumar 17mm Fisheye
11-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Well, all the lenses you own are "interchangable" so you can use your ltd's on any camera with a K-Mount you own, but you know that of course. I suggest the Pentax SMC DA 35mm F2.4 (which does not have an aperture ring, but is something special in its own way). Because it is affordable and it is quite different from any ltd. It will give you great colours and it is a gem! And you could ofcourse go for a 8mm Fisheye from Samyang, which gives a lot of fun and great colours as well. But you can use these lenses also on the other camera's, so it is not only for the K30 I suggest this, but for the others as well. Another one that has an aperture ring is the A 35-105mm F3.5, which has a subname "stack of primes". It is good, well build and is something special, but it is not a prime, it is a whole collection of them.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-11-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo and some elaboration on my choices
11-11-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You want something with an aperture ring which rules out only modern lenses, so there should be lot to choose from. Her.s a couple of suggestions.

Sigma manual focus macro 50/2.8. I have two copies of this lens (because one is missing the focus ring) iris a one to one macro, very compact, a very good lens. They do have the infamous sigma zen coating on the plastic barrel, which is the only drawback. And best of all they are relatively cheap when you find one.

The Kiron 28/2. I had one several years ago and stupidly sold it when I was going through a phase of wanting only autofocus lenses. It was the sharpest lens I ever had. They are reputed to have sticky aperture blades, mine did not. Problem is they are not easy to find in a Pentax mount and therefore maybe expensive, they also made a 24 which I would assume is good too.

NOT a prime, Pentax-F 35-70, cheap and good

You might try to think what you really want to use it for to get a better idea, but I’m thinking you want to find a lenses before a purpose, and that’s ok in this situation too, sounds like a fun idea
11-11-2020, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I'm looking for some ideas for a lens with an aperture ring that I can use on my K30. It's had the solenoid replaced and works fine with the DA Limiteds and other modern lenses but I've got other cameras that I can use those on. So I'm thinking about putting something different on there. Either an M42 or K mount is fine and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Pentax lens. The only real criteria are that I prefer primes, it should have a focal length of no more than about 70mm and it needs to be reasonably priced. "Interesting" bokeh is fine as well.

Takumar 55 1.8 Cheap and nice bokeh. M42 mount.
11-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about going macro with a nice Pentax 50mm? Have it all set to go as a kit for extreme close up work!
11-11-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . . The Kiron 28/2. I had one several years ago and stupidly sold it when I was going through a phase of wanting only autofocus lenses. It was the sharpest lens I ever had. They are reputed to have sticky aperture blades, mine did not. Problem is they are not easy to find in a Pentax mount and therefore maybe expensive, . . .
the one I have is a PKA mount, the lens reads:

" Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA 55 F "

I second the recommendation
11-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Bellows?

Seb
11-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorites is the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7. SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Hard to beat the price/performance ratio.
11-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Check out the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - the shallow depth of field is really something. It's pretty good when used in a normal fashion too.

11-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the one I have is a PKA mount, the lens reads:

" Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA 55 F "

I second the recommendation
The "A" version is pretty rare, or just nobody ever lets go of one. Hang on to that one!