Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens Tamron 70-200 ...K200 not reading right?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I have a question. I just got the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and really haven't had much of an opportunity to shoot with it, but I did take these pics of my daughter. She wanted before and after pics (She's starting a diet). Odd thing happened...These were supposed to be just quick shots so I had it in auto pic mode. For some reason the camera seems to have chose landscape mode on a couple of them and "normal" mode on one, but they are all washed out. I didn't move from the spot nor did my daughter. My question is why would it choose two different modes and all of them be washed out? Is the camera not reading the lens correctly? It doesn't show the Tamron in the Exif data.

#1 This one is focal length 70mm, shutter 1/45, aperture f4.5, capture mode Auto pic (landscape), center weight metering, WB auto, and for some reason image tone landscape. I didn't choose landscape mode, just auto pic.

#2 focal length 70mm, shutter 1/90, aperture f2.8, capture mode Auto pic (normal), center weight metering, WB auto, and for some reason image tone bright.

I didn't change any of the settings on the camera. Is it something I'm doing wrong (I don't see how when it's set on auto pic) or is it the lens?

Thanks in advance!

11-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens probably doesn't have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. In that case proceed as explained here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/41527-help-k200d-m...ount-lens.html

If the lens DOES have an "A" setting, set the aperture ring to "A".
11-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The lens probably doesn't have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. In that case proceed as explained here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/41527-help-k200d-m...ount-lens.html

If the lens DOES have an "A" setting, set the aperture ring to "A".
I do and did have "Allow aperture ring" to "enabled".
11-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #4

maybe because you're metering on her black t-shirt that why everything is washout...way overexposed...

11-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by nupentaxian Quote
maybe because you're metering on her black t-shirt that why everything is washout...way overexposed...
That sounds like a very plausible explanation. Maybe try changing to matrix metering and see what kind of results you get as right now her black shirt is pretty much dead center in the image and your camera is going to want to make that grey.
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
That sounds like a very plausible explanation. Maybe try changing to matrix metering and see what kind of results you get as right now her black shirt is pretty much dead center in the image and your camera is going to want to make that grey.
I'll try that. Why would it show landscape and then normal without me changing the settings of the camera and not moving? The pics were taken within a few mins of each other?
11-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
Why would it show landscape and then normal without me changing the settings of the camera and not moving?
If you're talking about what type of scene it guessed you were shooting, this is as good an argument for never using that mode as I could imagine chances are excellent it will guess wrong and make some lame settings as a result. You're better off shooting in P mode if you want automatic exposure settings - at least it will choose some generally useful exposure settings rather than optimizing for potentially the wrong kind of scene.

As for what changed, looks like you aimed a little higher for the first picture than the second. Which probably made just enough of a difference in terms of how much background was in the shot for it to see the scene as a landscape. I guess. I don't think there is any point in putting any stock in what auto pict guesses.

But none of that explains why the scene is so overexposed. Center-weighted metering wouldn't normally do that.

11-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Get out of Auto mode, switch to Av mode, make sure you do NOT pop up the built-in flash. Try ISO100, f/4, matrix metering (as the black shirt would mess everything up in spot/center-weighted), and see what kind of shutter speeds you're getting.
11-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Although it may not be the reason for these results, in general, I wish Pentax didn't choose to structure their Auto mode as they have, where it doesn't choose general automatic settings (like the P mode), but where it chooses one of the various pre-set scene modes. For such great cameras, including my K200D, it simply doesn't make sense. Though I usually use Av mode, if I want "auto" mode, I set it to P and it does a great job generally. Anecdotally, it seems that many less-than-desirable results have been from people using the Auto mode.
11-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Get out of Auto mode, switch to Av mode, make sure you do NOT pop up the built-in flash. Try ISO100, f/4, matrix metering (as the black shirt would mess everything up in spot/center-weighted), and see what kind of shutter speeds you're getting.
Will do. I'll give it a shot this weekend. One would think Auto pic would be nice for a quick pic. There was no flash involved in these pics. As a matter of fact it was a dull day with no sun.

Thanks for everyone's replies. My initial fear is that it was the camera not reading the lens correctly.
11-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Forum Member

Have you checked if your exposure compensation is set to zero?
11-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
One would think Auto pic would be nice for a quick pic.
And it often is. If the camera happens to guess right about what kind of scene you are shooting and what kind of settings you might want as result, it will indeed give better results than P mode. But it's also possible it will guess wrong, meaning you'll get worse results than P mode. P mode is going to be consistent.

Again, though, none of this has anything to do with why the shot was so overexposed. No mode should have allowed that, so something else must have gone wrong. Are you sure those were takne with center-weighted metering and not spot metering?
11-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And it often is. If the camera happens to guess right about what kind of scene you are shooting and what kind of settings you might want as result, it will indeed give better results than P mode. But it's also possible it will guess wrong, meaning you'll get worse results than P mode. P mode is going to be consistent.

Again, though, none of this has anything to do with why the shot was so overexposed. No mode should have allowed that, so something else must have gone wrong. Are you sure those were takne with center-weighted metering and not spot metering?
I agree... No mode should have allowed that. The exif data says it was center weighted. I have since reset everything to factory defaults thinking maybe I had done something wrong. I'll test it out again this weekend. Thanks so much for your help. It sounds like P mode is probably the way to go.
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #14

Original Poster
I hate to even ask this, but my daughter was quite disappointed none of the shots were keepers as far as exposure goes. I've tried fixing them in different software, but considering my abilities are extremely limited, I've had no luck. Is anyone willing to take a shot at fixing the first one? I told her I would take another one this weekend, but apparently a week of losing weight makes all the difference in the world.
11-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Did you shoot RAW? If you did, you can just pull down the exposure slider and you might be suprised as to what you can accomplish. If you shot JPG, I don't know what you can do. Let this be a lesson to ALWAYS shoot RAW.

Did you ever get any good pictures with the 70-200? Did you figure out what went wrong?