Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have over 800 photos taken with the SMC DA40 Limited on the K1. Looking back through them, I see there is strong vignetting wide open (f/2.8), though not unpleasingly for the images I took.

Vignetting is much-reduced at f/3.2:

and again at f/4, though the corners are very "muddy":

The extreme corners are improved at f/5.6. Though still not perfect at f/8, they are more than useable:

So, the usability of the DA40 Limited on the K1 depends on your usage. Stopped down to f/3.2 greatly reduces the vignetting, but still leaves messy extreme corners; the edges are fine. This is absolutely useable for portraits or other shots with a strong central focus. By f/8, although not perfect when pixel peeping. I would say "shoot away with impunity".
The drop off in sharpness in the top right of the ferris wheel is what i mean by "extreme". And this is at f3.2

11-16-2020, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Here are some test shot from my M40. This was just done quickly between some meetings so not great shots, just from my front steps. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of detail in the corners, just sky and snow. Focus is on the house across the street. No adjustments in Lightroom, just imported and exported as jpgs.

F2.8 (Full Size)

F4 (Full Size)

F5.6 (Full Size)

F8 (Full Size)

F11 (Full Size)

F16 (Full Size)

F22 (Full Size)
11-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Here are some test shot from my M40. This was just done quickly between some meetings so not great shots, just from my front steps. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of detail in the corners, just sky and snow. Focus is on the house across the street. No adjustments in Lightroom, just imported and exported as jpgs.
The corners are the issue though. Are they better than the DA40?
11-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Time to randomly place newsprint on the nearest brick wall and get some samples!

11-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

As this Sony full frame shooter found of the old M40 f2.8:

"Light fall-off (vignetting) is pretty extensive, with corners of lighter exposures being noticeably darker than the center of the frame. This is worse on full-frame digital sensors, such as the one found in my Sony a7. The phenomenon is less prevalent with film, and won’t really show up at all on crop-sensor machines such as Fuji’s X-series where the lens will give a field of view similar to that of a 60mm lens. All this taken, vignetting is one of the easiest problems to solve in photo editing software – slide a slider and you’re good to go. .... What’s worse than these troubles is that the lens just isn’t super sharp, an issue that’s especially egregious, again, when shooting wide open. Corners are spongier than a rum cake, and even the center of the frame lacks the clinical precision of something like a Nikkor 50mm, or Minolta’s Rokkor 45mm F/2.

But he *really* likes the lens for what it is. It's a pancake, a novelty, whereas the FA43 Limited is serious.

SMC Pentax M 40mm F/2.8 Pancake Lens Review - Casual Photophile
11-16-2020, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost spoilt for choices if you also consider the Voigtländer 40mm F/2 Ultron.
11-16-2020, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Ok here we go again. Newspaper this time.

F2.8 (Full Size)

F4 (Full Size)

F5.6 (Full Size)

F8 (Full Size)

F11 (Full Size)

F16 (Full Size)

11-16-2020, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Ok here we go again. Newspaper this time.

Thanks, Vector, and I hope you went on that Ghost Tour ... looks great!
11-16-2020, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's pretty clear from the samples that the DA version vignettes and renders corners weaker. Matching the DA to the M on vignetting and corner sharpness will require stepping down around 1 stop.

Vector and Paul, thank you for your sample pictures and in your help answering this question. This community is pretty awesome.
11-17-2020, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, Vector, and I hope you went on that Ghost Tour ... looks great!
Unfortunately I didn't but I will keep it mind for next years Halloween.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
It's pretty clear from the samples that the DA version vignettes and renders corners weaker. Matching the DA to the M on vignetting and corner sharpness will require stepping down around 1 stop.

Vector and Paul, thank you for your sample pictures and in your help answering this question. This community is pretty awesome.
You're welcome, I happened to be interested in the same comparison, so I was happy to provide some M40 samples.

Last edited by vector; 11-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.
11-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are interested in using the lens on film then you definitely need the M version.

I have used my DA 40 limited on my K-1 and it has quite weak corners. Not the end of the world for many images, but they just look soft and blurry. Even at f8 they aren't what I would call "sharp" although they are better. With about a 10 percent crop you can get very nice results with sharp borders.
11-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are interested in using the lens on film then you definitely need the M version.

I have used my DA 40 limited on my K-1 and it has quite weak corners. Not the end of the world for many images, but they just look soft and blurry. Even at f8 they aren't what I would call "sharp" although they are better. With about a 10 percent crop you can get very nice results with sharp borders.
Yeah I was just thinking the same. It's a shame honestly that I have to make a choice that has so many compromises. The M series loses new coatings, new glass tech, AF, and exposure modes. The DA Ltd loses roughly 1 stop corner performance in sharpness and vignetting. Pentax really should release this great lens in a DFA format.
11-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'd just use the FA 43/1.9 Limited....
11-18-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's a pancake, a novelty, whereas the FA43 Limited is serious.
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Almost spoilt for choices if you also consider the Voigtländer 40mm F/2 Ultron.
The Ultron being equally serious, this discussion goes to another level.

Steve
11-18-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Yeah I was just thinking the same. It's a shame honestly that I have to make a choice that has so many compromises. The M series loses new coatings, new glass tech, AF, and exposure modes. The DA Ltd loses roughly 1 stop corner performance in sharpness and vignetting. Pentax really should release this great lens in a DFA format.
Too many compromises? Get the C/V 40/2.0 Ultron. It even has a cool hood.

Steve