Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 05:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I would not waste money on a new lens if I were you. You have a collection of good and lovely Pentax F and FA's. I would start with these ones and after some time you will know what you miss and then you will be able to buy a lens that fits you. I would not act on the advice that is given here concerning buying a lens, because these people are not you and only will know what you need or what you wish for. So you better experience working with the K-1 first.
Oh I wouldn't buy anything new. My thoughts were like this:
If the two little zooms I have really are trash on a K-1, what affordable standard zoom lens would be wise to go for in the mean time (before I can get money to buy what really suits me).

11-15-2020, 05:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Go ahead with the K-1 then, you won't be disappointed! I have many photos I love from film era glass. I'm partial to my M20/4* just because of the amount of UWA goodness it packs in a pancake.

*And to the 77, but that one's a far more modern design.
Yep, I'd need something around 85mm but it can wait a bit. I'd use M135/3.5 (or Tamron 135/2.8) for the time being.
I'd still need a go around standard AF zoom and maybe little AF Tele (zoom), that's the harder part (financially) after the camera itself of course.
11-15-2020, 05:20 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I did but long time ago. Thanks for the reminder !
And yes, it is relevant.

Well I can't afford multiple DSLRs bodies, except the old ones I still have (istDL, K100D, K5?) so I won't get an newer APS and FF.
A free K70 would be cool (one can dream lol) but seriously: a KP would be a wise option too IMO.
I won't do sport or anything alike so fps is of no concern.
I'd also like to do some architecture I usually did with my View Camera (I still love but processing film isn't a possibility right now), a Samyang T/S would be nice but quite long on APS IMO.
sounds like you are deciding based on what is best for your photographic interests

good luck on getting that K 70, you will know after the 1st ( I'm going for a t shirt myself )
11-15-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Lenses aside, the K1 is just a nice camera to shoot with. It handles so well. I haven't handled a KP but vs my K5 and K3 I prefer the K1 for handling even with the slightly larger and heavier body. For lenses I think you are just fine for the switch to ff. Keep in mind 36mp is a lot and is overkill for a lot of shooting scenarios. You can use your DA lenses in crop mode and still come out with 15mp, almost the same as your K5 but a little better quality.

11-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between your existing glass and getting one more all-around zoom like the Tamron 28-75 or DFA 28-105, I think I'd look for something like the following;

Tamron 90mm f2.5 AF which did come in k-mount and does have some quirks but I love the rendering of that optic and would give you a decent macro option as well as a lens that's good for portraits and such.

Tamron 70-200 f2.8; I like the idea of this lens (i haven't used one so YMMV etc etc just hear me out here) because it's not as heavy as the Sigma 70-200 or Pentax and costs less than both. I think it only recently went out of production and should be pretty easy to find on the used market. There's not a lot of 70ish to 200ish options in k-mount with AF. I know optically the Pentax is one a whole level above this lens but I don't think that would stop me from using it.

There are some real ultra-wide zoom options out there with AF as well if you find the 16-45 doesn't really work for you as you'd like on FF. Nice to know that lens could be pressed into service with caveats.
11-15-2020, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I've spent eight years with my K-5, and while it has served me extremely well, sometimes I cannot get around the fact that I'm working with a 10-year-old sensor and autofocus system. The high ISO performance (or relative lack thereof) has been somewhat vexing during my attempts at dark sky astrophotography. Maybe if I win the K-70 this month...
11-15-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I'd need something around 85mm but it can wait a bit. I'd use M135/3.5 (or Tamron 135/2.8) for the time being.
I'd still need a go around standard AF zoom and maybe little AF Tele (zoom), that's the harder part (financially) after the camera itself of course.
At the long end, your F35-70 isn't a million miles off an 85mm... wider, for sure, but perfectly applicable to the same short-tele use cases, albeit a little slower than you might ideally want. It'll do for now, and you can always switch to one of your 135's if you need more working distance...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-15-2020 at 02:15 PM.
11-15-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Between your existing glass and getting one more all-around zoom like the Tamron 28-75 or DFA 28-105, I think I'd look for something like the following;

Tamron 90mm f2.5 AF which did come in k-mount and does have some quirks but I love the rendering of that optic and would give you a decent macro option as well as a lens that's good for portraits and such.

Tamron 70-200 f2.8; I like the idea of this lens (i haven't used one so YMMV etc etc just hear me out here) because it's not as heavy as the Sigma 70-200 or Pentax and costs less than both. I think it only recently went out of production and should be pretty easy to find on the used market. There's not a lot of 70ish to 200ish options in k-mount with AF. I know optically the Pentax is one a whole level above this lens but I don't think that would stop me from using it.

There are some real ultra-wide zoom options out there with AF as well if you find the 16-45 doesn't really work for you as you'd like on FF. Nice to know that lens could be pressed into service with caveats.
Can confirm, the Tamron 90/2.5 is excellent. The AF version in K mount is basically impossible to find, though. I lucked out with mine... and proceeded to break the AF shaft via drop to floor . Adaptalls are plentiful, however. It's not a critical purchase, in any case. For teles, I'm generally happy with my Tokina 70-210mm F4.5 AF 745 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database. It has the "Tokina glow" wide open on highlights, but it's fast focusing, sharp, has lovely bokeh and it is not particularly heavy at 640 g (front element rotates, though). I got mine for 40€ shipping included. Here's a sample of each:

EDIT: the Toki is also sold under other badges (I think MightyMike was selling a Magnicon-branded copy in the Marketplace here, but it's of course in Canada). I found this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Chinon-Lente-Zoom-AF-Auto-70-210mm-F4-5-per-Pentax-PK/264910284039?hash=item3dade22507:g:cUIAAOSww-ZfkpnA which I'm 99% sure is the same lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-15-2020 at 01:27 PM.
11-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The f2.5 AF in k-mount is out there although agreed that they're not exactly common. In manual focus there's the mentioned Adaptalls as well as other options from Tokina, Soligar, etc. It seems like all of the 90mm f2.5 macros are good lenses; only the Tamron made it to a native mount with AF (that I'm aware of).
11-15-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if manual focus is ok, perhaps one of the Vivitar Series1 70-210mm zooms ?

QuoteQuote:
There are six versions of the manual focus Vivitar Series 1 (VS1) 70-210 zoom lenses, all of which can be distinguished apart from each other visually (and their manufacturers can be identified by using their serial numbers). Interestingly, Vivitar was never actually a lens manufacturer per se -- Vivitar contracted with various lens makers to produce lenses to its own specifications, which it then marketed under the Vivitar brand (although the contractors would sometimes end up releasing similar lens designs under their own and/or other brands), and this always-a-lens-specifier-and-never-a-lens-maker characteristic is certainly true for all the VS1 70-210 zooms. . . .

Read more at: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm Line Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I have ver. 3 ( Komine )

QuoteQuote:
description:
This is the vaunted version three of Vivitar's Series One 70-210mm lenses. Can be found in PK and PKA mounts (and M42 and other mounts). Made by komine (28xxxxx serials).
This lens offers a relatively strong macro capability to 1:2.5 ratio at 210mm. There is an internal cam mechanism that automatically shifts you to 100mm focal length from 70mm when close focussing past 1.6m. Conversely, if focussed closer than 1.6m the zoom is stopped at 100mm. At M-R on the distance scale you are at the CFD and max macro ratio is achieved at 210mm, no change in focus. . . .

Read more at: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4 Version 3 (komine) Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
11-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I use the Pentax 70-200 on my K-1 II. They are both amazing products.
11-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments, it really helps. Keep at it

I also do have access to this but MF of course which is alright for macro but for tracking the daughter not at all. Its helicoïd is waaaaayyyyyy to long
11-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's another quite rare option (no reviews in the database yet here on PF) but of a variety of affordable MF or AF options I've tried on my K1, my final pick as the one that serves me best is a used Tokina 28-105 3.5-3.5 Aspherical (model# AF 205) I found on ebay for $75. If ever one would show up on your side of the atlantic, then I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

My use is very different from yours however, I'm using it 99% of the time at its widest in MF mode for vegetation mapping of spiny desert plants... those tend to bounce around a lot less than a 1-year old gymnast

Two sample shots below, showing that my particular specimen of the AF205 has better corners on its right side when focusing at longer distances, while paradoxically doing better in its left corners at closer distances and/or longer focal lengths. At f8-f11 it is very very sharp everywhere other than in the corners: it's not obvious in the forum-autoresized landscape example below, but on my K1 the lens at its widest literally resolves every spine on every cactus, even the ones over 10m away in a landscape. The colors look cold on these two example shots, but they're actually very natural (the local desert really looks that cool when the sky is clear and the sun isn't just risen or about to set).

Presumably the WR 28-105 does much better in the corners, but among a bunch of >$200 used zooms I tried out, so far I've found no FF K-mount options with truly impressive corner sharpness/vignette-less-ness, even including a Tamron 28-75 Di XR and an adaptall 28-105 2.8. My instance of the Tokina is the least corner challenged candidate I've tested, and unlike some of the other budget alternatives it is compact enough to serve well as a take-everywhere walkabout zoom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by pdeley; 11-15-2020 at 03:25 PM.
11-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
Forum Member

Can confirm, the Tamron 90/2.5 is excellent.
The Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 is hard to beat, but it's limited in it's usage. Wide open you can get a dreamy portrait, yet it's also a sharp macro, so well worth the effort of learning it's benefits and limitations.
11-15-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeprotts Quote
The Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 is hard to beat, but it's limited in it's usage. Wide open you can get a dreamy portrait, yet it's also a sharp macro, so well worth the effort of learning it's benefits and limitations.
So it's got a glowing, dreamy quality wide open (in certain situations), is close focusing, and sharp stopped down. Doesn't sound like a lens with very limited usability to me. I love the copy I own.