Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Considering a K-1, but what about lenses ?

Hey,

I'm considering a second hand K-1 to replace my K-5.
If I do so, I'll have to replace a bunch of lenses however even if newer acquisitions may not be THE lens I'd want.

I currently own, FF compatible or near:

Sigma 18/3.5 MF
Sigma 28/1.8 'macro'
Pentax F 28/2.8
Pentax DA 40/2.8
Pentax DA 50/1.8
Pentax FA 50/1.4

Pentax F 35-70/3.5-3.5 'macro'
Penrax FA 28-80/3.5-4.7 (but that one has been dropped years ago so I dunno, needs testing).

and a bunch of old manual lenses, useful but a lot less for tracking the 1 year daughter (in a week)

I'd like to get the DFA kit with the K-1 but I'd be very surprised if I could afford it, the K-1 being already a huge financial effort.

So the real question is: are the two little zoom at least useable (not ideal, I know) on the K-1 or is this really stupidly throwing away the quality the K-1 could get me with other (affordable) lenses ?
And what little tele zoom should I get (the 50-300 PLM I suppose) ?

Of course I can sell a few DA lenses but I doubt I'll get much money with those:
K5 (and cheap chinese grip)
DA16-45
DA 50-200
DA*50-135

If any of you has a piece of advice... THANKS !

Last edited by thibs; 11-15-2020 at 02:02 AM.
11-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you aalready own a lot of good DA lenses, why not get a K-3 or a KP? Reduce your financial outlay abit and make the most of fpthe gear you have.
A K-1 is a great camera, but not the only solution, and what is wrong with your K-5 in the first place?
11-15-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

I bought a second hand K1-II to replace a K5-II, and have DA lenses that I'll continue to use until I've got the money for FF. I've also got several FF older lenses, so a good mix, but the modern coatings & WR aspect are important to me.

The DA 16-45mm is fine from about 20mm and DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 (not PLM) is good over most of the range. This page gives an idea of FF coverage (Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com), but I've also worked out roughly the usable area for my lenses if I'm prepared to crop - see attached camlensFF.pdf

An example showing what I consider usable - the magenta rectangle would be about the crop limit, the black rectangle the APS-C area.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf camlensFF.pdf (38.1 KB, 51 views)
11-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For tracking outdoors, the PLM (or even the D FA 28-105 should work fairly well). Indoors, unfortunately, you might have to gamble it on the fast fifties.

I got my 28-105 for 300€ and the PLM for under 200€, but I *did* scour the Bay and Kleinanzeigen for a good while to find deals... Like others said the KP is a lower expense (on that note, does the 18-50 collapsible kit track better? It's got a DC motor), and then you can maybe think about saving up for the 16-50/2.8 PLM. *That* one should be the one for a kid indoors, methinks.

11-15-2020, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The F35-70 f/3.5-4.5 is a super little lens and should be a very serviceable walk-around zoom for the K-1. I bought mine after seeing the results @MarkJerling got with his, and whilst I use mine on APS-C (as Mark did originally), I believe he now uses his on the K-1II with good results. I've read positive feedback from others who use theirs on full frame, too. 35 - 70mm on full frame is a pretty versatile range - more so than with APS-C, for general shooting. Paired with your F28 f/2.8, you'd be well set to begin with...
11-15-2020, 03:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The F35-70 f/3.5-4.5 is a super little lens and should be a very serviceable walk-around zoom for the K-1. I bought mine after seeing the results @MarkJerling got with his, and whilst I use mine on APS-C (as Mark did originally), I believe he now uses his on the K-1II with good results. I've read positive feedback from others who use theirs on full frame, too. 35 - 70mm on full frame is a pretty versatile range - more so than with APS-C, for general shooting. Paired with your F28 f/2.8, you'd be well set to begin with...
I was initially dead set on getting the F35-70 for the K-1 back when I got it (because it's tiny!), but for some reason the prices decided to jack up from 30€ (over a period of months) to 100€+ the week I got the camera. I took it as a sign and jumped on a barely used 28-105 . Brilliant "kit" lens.
11-15-2020, 03:39 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry not really an answer to the OP's question but

first I wonder if the OP has read this article?

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Second has the OP thought about what the full frame sensor is designed for ? take a look at the in depth review of the K 1 and K 1 II. Full Frame is good but not ideal for some types of photography

is it better to go to full frame vs. improving the ASP-C camera body as @robgski suggests ?

or investing in lenses either specifically for the ASP-C sensor or lenses capable of being used on both sensors ?

only the OP can determine what is best at this time for the photography the OP is considering

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2020 at 03:44 AM.
11-15-2020, 03:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, I would look at the DFA 28-105 as a standard "starter" lens to go along with the camera. The other lens that seems to be decent and pretty cheap would be the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Obviously that is a screw driven lens, but it does seem to give pretty good results and won't break the bank.
11-15-2020, 03:55 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hey,

I'm considering a second hand K-1 to replace my K-5.
If I do so, I'll have to replace a bunch of lenses however even if newer acquisitions may not be THE lens I'd want.

I currently own, FF compatible or near:

Sigma 18/3.5 MF
Sigma 28/1.8 'macro'
Pentax F 28/2.8
Pentax DA 40/2.8
Pentax DA 50/1.8
Pentax FA 50/1.4

Pentax F 35-70/3.5-3.5 'macro'
Penrax FA 28-80/3.5-4.7 (but that one has been dropped years ago so I dunno, needs testing).

and a bunch of old manual lenses, useful but a lot less for tracking the 1 year daughter (in a week)

I'd like to get the DFA kit with the K-1 but I'd be very surprised if I could afford it, the K-1 being already a huge financial effort.

So the real question is: are the two little zoom at least useable (not ideal, I know) on the K-1 or is this really stupidly throwing away the quality the K-1 could get me with other (affordable) lenses ?
And what little tele zoom should I get (the 50-300 PLM I suppose) ?

Of course I can sell a few DA lenses but I doubt I'll get much money with those:
K5 (and cheap chinese grip)
DA16-45
DA 50-200
DA*50-135

If any of you has a piece of advice... THANKS !
I would not waste money on a new lens if I were you. You have a collection of good and lovely Pentax F and FA's. I would start with these ones and after some time you will know what you miss and then you will be able to buy a lens that fits you. I would not act on the advice that is given here concerning buying a lens, because these people are not you and only will know what you need or what you wish for. So you better experience working with the K-1 first.
11-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I was initially dead set on getting the F35-70 for the K-1 back when I got it (because it's tiny!), but for some reason the prices decided to jack up from 30€ (over a period of months) to 100€+ the week I got the camera. I took it as a sign and jumped on a barely used 28-105 . Brilliant "kit" lens.
I seem to recall paying about GBP £40 - £45 for mine in excellent condition... I can't remember precisely, but it must have been around that as I know I wouldn't have paid much more then or now (certainly not 100€+ ). For that kind of money it's surprisingly capable, especially in terms of overall rendering... much more so than a lot of zoom lenses from that era and earlier. It's not in the same league as the D FA28-105, I'm sure... but good nonetheless.
11-15-2020, 04:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Since you aalready own a lot of good DA lenses, why not get a K-3 or a KP? Reduce your financial outlay abit and make the most of fpthe gear you have.
A K-1 is a great camera, but not the only solution, and what is wrong with your K-5 in the first place?
An updated APS is a possibility too. The thing is, apart the WANT thing I have a lot of older manual lenses which I'd really like to use as they were (specially my K30/2.8) so I'm considering going FF. Not sure though, which is why I asked for your help

The problem with my K5 is AF. Tracking for sure but besides AF inside in relatively dim light: slow and imprecise (IMO).
11-15-2020, 04:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I seem to recall paying about GBP £40 - £45 for mine in excellent condition... I can't remember precisely, but it must have been around that as I know I wouldn't have paid much more then or now (certainly not 100€+ ). For that kind of money it's surprisingly capable, especially in terms of overall rendering... much more so than a lot of zoom lenses from that era and earlier. It's not in the same league as the D FA28-105, I'm sure... but good nonetheless.
Excellent news, thanks !
11-15-2020, 04:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeprotts Quote
I bought a second hand K1-II to replace a K5-II, and have DA lenses that I'll continue to use until I've got the money for FF. I've also got several FF older lenses, so a good mix, but the modern coatings & WR aspect are important to me.

The DA 16-45mm is fine from about 20mm and DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 (not PLM) is good over most of the range. This page gives an idea of FF coverage (Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com), but I've also worked out roughly the usable area for my lenses if I'm prepared to crop - see attached camlensFF.pdf

An example showing what I consider usable - the magenta rectangle would be about the crop limit, the black rectangle the APS-C area.
Thanks. Helps a lot.
11-15-2020, 04:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
An updated APS is a possibility too. The thing is, apart the WANT thing I have a lot of older manual lenses which I'd really like to use as they were (specially my K30/2.8) so I'm considering going FF. Not sure though, which is why I asked for your help

The problem with my K5 is AF. Tracking for sure but besides AF inside in relatively dim light: slow and imprecise (IMO).
Go ahead with the K-1 then, you won't be disappointed! I have many photos I love from film era glass. I'm partial to my M20/4* just because of the amount of UWA goodness it packs in a pancake.

*And to the 77, but that one's a far more modern design.
11-15-2020, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry not really an answer to the OP's question but

first I wonder if the OP has read this article?

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
I did but long time ago. Thanks for the reminder !
And yes, it is relevant.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Second has the OP thought about what the full frame sensor is designed for ? take a look at the in depth review of the K 1 and K 1 II. Full Frame is good but not ideal for some types of photography

is it better to go to full frame vs. improving the ASP-C camera body as @robgski suggests ?

or investing in lenses either specifically for the ASP-C sensor or lenses capable of being used on both sensors ?

only the OP can determine what is best at this time for the photography the OP is considering
Well I can't afford multiple DSLRs bodies, except the old ones I still have (istDL, K100D, K5?) so I won't get an newer APS and FF.
A free K70 would be cool (one can dream lol) but seriously: a KP would be a wise option too IMO.
I won't do sport or anything alike so fps is of no concern.
I'd also like to do some architecture I usually did with my View Camera (I still love but processing film isn't a possibility right now), a Samyang T/S would be nice but quite long on APS IMO.