Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA Killer ...

The best LBA reduction (to extinction) medicine is the poor Quality Control lens manufacturers implement.
Aside my kit lens and the Sigma 105mm all other lenses I’ve bought the last 2 years had to be replaced once or twice to get a decent copy. Now I’m going through the same with a brand new Pentax DA 12-24/4.0 I bought a week ago with major decentering problem on the right side.
Never had these problems 10 years in the past with my then poor Practika B200 and Pentagon, or Tamron adaptal lenses I owned.

Last edited by gkopeliadis; 11-13-2008 at 02:59 AM.
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

ever think that it might be your K10D thats messing things up?
11-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
ever think that it might be your K10D thats messing things up?
Yes I did. Sent in for checking and came up to be OK.
Then, how could the body be responsible for decentering of one lens to left, the other to the right and with a third to be soft all around? And afterwards with new copies of the lens to work perfectly?
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Yes I did. Sent in for checking and came up to be OK.
Then, how could the body be responsible for decentering of one lens to left, the other to the right and with a third to be soft all around? And afterwards with new copies of the lens to work perfectly?
dont know

but it seems the majority of lens defects are reported by people with K10D's , why, i dont know.

11-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess that's what you get with AF lenses. I'd hate to have come across these issues.
But since I have gone to old-school MF lenses ... I don't have any issues at all.
11-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I guess that's what you get with AF lenses. I'd hate to have come across these issues.
But since I have gone to old-school MF lenses ... I don't have any issues at all.
you can have issues if you mount your lens wrong..or if the mount is busted

take your M42 adapter and smash it with a hammer a couple of times, then put it in your camera and put a lens on, see if it still focuses 100% parallel.
11-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
take your M42 adapter and smash it with a hammer a couple of times,
That's some great advice, Gooshin. The moderators should make this thread a sticky so the newbies don't miss it.

11-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hee hee ... well smashing my M42 adaptor would kill LBA for sure ... then I wouldn't be able to mount any of my good lenses ... then again ... It'd make me go hunting for another M42 adaptor though instead of lenses ... hee hee

Good thing I have a spare.
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The one and only LBA killer:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
That's some great advice, Gooshin. The moderators should make this thread a sticky so the newbies don't miss it.

I've already noted that the best way to get rid of a hornets nest is to "Hit it with a rake. Then stomp on it".
11-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tzcobretti Quote
The one and only LBA killer:
FA's in sliver, DA's in black. Stylin'. Looks like LBA's already take it's toll with you!

11-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Igilligan

Build a better mousetrap....

Nice 'visual' mousetrap metaphor. The world beating a path to the limiteds.....

BUT....
Forget the limiteds... where did you get those mousetraps? Never seen one like that where the bait area elevates... I must know more!
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Never had these problems 10 years in the past with my then poor Practika B200 and Pentagon, or Tamron adaptal lenses I owned.
I of course don't know your specific situation, but I suspect that 10 years ago, you didn't pixel-peep to the same extent you do now. That is, you probably didn't perform the same sort of testing and viewing at 100% you do now, and given the much longer lag between taking a shot and seeing the results, it was harder to be sure about any results you might have seen even if you had tried.

My hypothesis is that if you took your old lenses and subjective them to the same degree of scrutiny your are applying to your new ones, you might end up feeling differently about the old ones. Or, perhaps it would make you feel differently about the new ones. Anyone, the assumption being, the differences might not be as great as you think.

Same goes for FF and BF issues - I don't there is anything new here except our awareness of them.
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
BUT....
Forget the limiteds... where did you get those mousetraps? Never seen one like that where the bait area elevates... I must know more!
Therefore in Germany we get the mice.........
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote

And the mounts will match his filters.