Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

My next lens?

Welcome to Fantasy Island!

Help me spend money I don't have on deals that may not even be available when (and if) said money materializes! Still, putting my ideas down in writing, and getting feedback, can help crystalize my thought processes. It will be interesting to see what I can talk myself into - or out of! I've already got the focal lengths of pretty much everything already covered, so none of these would really be filling any holes in my lineup, so I don't really "need" any of these (who does, though, eh?) but some of these would offer improvements or changes in capabilities. These would be usedon my KP and (possibly) my K-S2.

The prospective additions to my armamentarium fall into three broad categories: macro prime, wide angle prime, and telephoto zoom.

MACRO candidates:

Tamron 72E 90mm f2.8 1:1 (used) This would be my longest 1:1 macro lens. I already have 35mm, 50mm and 70mm 1:1 macros, and a Tamron 52BB 1:2 macro which gives great resuts with my Raynox 250. I'm sure this Tamron would also provide excellent images, with or without the Raynox. Currently, this one would be the least expensive option of those herein outlined. Just under $200 (CDN)

Laowa 100mm f2.8 2:1 Ultra-macro (new). If I were to get this, it would end up being my longest 1:1 (at least) macro, and offer 2x magnification to boot. I've already got a bunch of options I can put together which give me more than 1:1, but many of them, unlike the Laowa, do not maintain automatic diaphragm or auto aperture control. This choice would probably be the priciest choice on my list. As a new lens, this option is not in danger of being sold from under me while I make up my mind and/or save my money. $600-700

WIDE ANGLE candidates:

DA 15 Limited (used) or DA 21 Limited (refurbished). Having just got my first Limited (the DA 35 Macro) I am very impressed, and can see myself getting more of them at some point. I do already have the older, slower Sigma 10-20 and the DA 16-85, both of which are great, but bigger. The small size and image quality that the WA limited offer is a very attractive alternative to the two zooms. These two are in the lower middle of the price range I'm looking at. I would be getting one or the other, not both, with the 15 being my first choice between the two. $200-300

TELEPHOTO ZOOM:

DA 55-300 PLM (probably new). Just the one prospect here. I've already got the DA 55-300, so this is a more direct duplication/replacement of something I've already got, with less light but faster, quieter AF and WR. It occupies the upper middle portion of the proposed budget range, at $400ish. This would make a nice zoom companion to the 16-85. I'd like to do more wildlife shooting than I do currently, but I don't think I'll ever be as proficient at this as I am at macro. 55-300 is a good range, but a bit more reach at some point would be nice. At this time, though, I can't really justify the cost of a faster telephoto prime that might up my image quality in this part of my shooting regime. I've got 500mm and 1000mm mirror lenses, but they're not in the samme league as non-mirror primes. I may never spring for a prime like this, so a good tele zoom might be my only entry into this part of the focal length range.

So have I missed anything? Any thoughts from you all would be good to hear. I imagine many of you have already been down (or are still on) this same road,so your input and perspectives would likely be helpful in my own deliberations. Let's hear what you have to say. Even if this does not come to pass, I will consider this a worthwhile exersize. I hope that other Forum members may find it helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-19-2020 at 11:31 PM.
11-19-2020, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
DA 15 Limited (used) or DA 21 Limited
I love it when people ask if they should get the 15 or the 21. You will eventually end up with both. For what it's worth yes I have both but find I use the 21 more because it's a more practical focal length. The KP is made for the DA ltds. I love the size, colours, contrast and the built in hoods. The built in hood means you can leave your lens cap at home. This is such a bonus.
11-20-2020, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You asked if you missed anything, but we do not know your whole gear collection! That said you did mention being the proud owner of the older Sigma 10-20, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 and you probably have some kind of macro lens already. With these hints, you need the 55-300 PLM, the fast and quiet autofocus is worthwhile to my opinion, allowing you to take shots you would miss otherwise, especially since you mentioned trying to do wildlife and lacking skills about it.

Last edited by Bertrand3000; 11-20-2020 at 12:09 AM.
11-20-2020, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adding the 15 and/or the 21 to the 35 Limited makes a lot of sense to me. The starbursts and flare resistance of both are enough of a reason. Then there is the size issue compared to your zooms.

Use your 55-300 until it breaks.

It certainly doesn't look like you need another macro....

11-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My list goes PLM, 20-40mm limited(this is top of my wish list but I can't see me ever affording it), 15mm limited. I have the 55-300 HD but the autofocus is too long and noisy. Don't get me wrong, its a great lens, I would just love the PLM. Re your limiteds, I have the 21, the 35 and the 70, they're amazing on my KP and used copies are really inexpensive. They are both full of pixie dust and are so small you don't realise they are on your camera. I took my 21mm (brilliant indoors) my 35mm and my 70mm limiteds on holiday. Its a full kit in your pocket! Just for giggles, can I suggest the 10-17mm fish eye. Super sharp, super fishy but at 14-17mm a really nice ultra wide. Cheap too. A guy on here got one for $120

---------- Post added 11-20-20 at 12:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Adding the 15 and/or the 21 to the 35 Limited makes a lot of sense to me.
Use your 55-300 until it breaks.
It certainly doesn't look like you need another macro....
The 55-300 never breaks
11-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #6
Unregistered User

The money you don't have did materialize, that is why you don't have it. Thinking of a Limited the only more or less modern version is the 20-40mm and it is a great lens, it offers 20 Ltd's. Bought this one used. The other one I think of is the DA* 11-18mm. I bought one used. As a matter of fact I do not like wide angled lenses, but this one is something completely different. I had a month to try it out and it is an amazing lens. Lovely lens to make pictures walking through the woods. So I never returned it. Both lenses were new, apart from the fact that someone before me spend money on it and did not like them. And a third one is the DA* 55mm. Beautiful colours this one delivers. The DA*'s are used on a K3II. The 20-40mm goes from camera to camera. Bought to replace the old 18-55. If you want a lens that really impresses buy the SMC DA 35mm F2.4. It is an amazing lens. Sometimes give me the feeling that it produces better colours than the *'s. It is a very cheap lens and the results are quite unexepected, bought this one refurbished straight from Ricoh.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-20-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: additonal information added
11-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Definitely the PLM. Both 15 and 21 Limited if you can afford them, they do different things as officiousbystander says.

My all-purpose travel kit is the PLM, 16-85 plus both the 15 and 21mm. Across them you can cover anything, especially with a bit of cropping.

Out of the Pentax family - for a macro look at the Sigma EX DG 105 or 150mm. I have the 105 and it is both brilliantly sharp and light weight, with very reliable auto-focus.

A cheap used 10-17 or Sigma 10-20 is a good addition for the rare occasions when you need something very wide.

11-20-2020, 02:50 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . so I don't really "need" any of these . . .
what a NOVEL idea, restricting LBA to something NEEDED

I should try that

problem with " Limiteds " it's hard to stop acquiring them

FA Limiteds: MIJ or not or both

DA Limiteds: SMC or HD or both

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and then Black vs. Silver or both

good luck
11-20-2020, 03:23 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NEED? What does that have to do with it?
I certainly didn't need a 645 system, but that didn't stop me. Not one little bit
11-20-2020, 03:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, which I like very much, but I don't always want to carry two lenses of substantial size, so having the DA 15mm LTD along instead is a great way of adding fine WA capability with outstanding portability. The KP is especially well-suited for use with smaller lenses.
11-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can see myself getting more of them [Limiteds] at some point.
There's no point in being afraid of the inevitable

I'd go for the 15 just because I *really* like the M20, the Limited would be a similar perspective but with better flare resistance and starbursts.
11-20-2020, 03:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest to select the prime according to your prefered subjects. If you are more in reportage or street photography, select the 21 mm. If you are more in landscape or like a wider angle in street photography take the 15 mm. You can't go wrong with any of these two and it would be a compact addition to the not so fast 16-85.

The 55-300 mm PLM would be (half?) a step up from the 55-300, but they are not so different, that I would swap these two. I would instead go for something faster and bigger. You always NEED a compact and a fast lens in the same focal range, don't you? The Tamron 70-200/2.8 or a Pentax 300/4.0 comes to my mind.
11-20-2020, 03:48 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA15 or 21 would be my choices. Personally, I think the DA21 is the more versatile because the field of view "just works" for so many situations. It's really an ideal walk-around prime, and a personal favourite - but it depends, of course, on your requirements and preferences. if your photography favours really wide angle shots, then the DA15 is an awesome choice.
11-20-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
NEED? What does that have to do with it?
I certainly didn't need a 645 system, but that didn't stop me. Not one little bit
I really can't imagine how you could not need a 645 system.
11-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

only one other macro lens to be considered - the Irix 150mm f2.8

and trying to buy either the 15mm or the 21mm Limited is just silly - buy them both...

the only other option is the 21mm Limited and the DA 14mm f2.8......