Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
+1 for MF - unless you're shooting with a camera that lacks a viewfinder...
I think the viewfinder is part of my love of MF... I'll explore LV more but nearly all of my handheld shots are through the viewfinder.

11-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I think the viewfinder is part of my love of MF... I'll explore LV more but nearly all of my handheld shots are through the viewfinder.
In my experience my M43 camera lacks a viewfinder and also lacks focus peaking... so it renders MF nearly impossible at a moving object.
11-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
one great aspect of the Pentax focus system is focus assist, even in Manual focus. The camera "beeps" at you when focus is achieved. It is quite useful. It works in low light and high, and does not blank-out like the split image rangefinder systems would with long lenses. Although not as easy to see focus as the older microprism or split image range finder focus systems, manual I have found focus with the focus assist is only a bit slower than auto focus and using the center spot as the only focus point helps to increase focus accuracy on the area you really want to be sharp.
... and with at least a KA mount giving the camera full exposure control the only thing manual is me remembering which way to turn the barrel.
11-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Almost all of my MF images are shot in live view, where I can accurately align the DoF, because I can see it. Shooting thought the viewfinder, the focus confirm beep means you don't have to know visually when you are in focus, and with AF.c the camera does it for you anyway.
If the focus confirmation is accurate. Something that bit me big time in Yellowstone with my K5. Auto leveling was not accurate either on that camera either. I was new to DSLR's and trusted the automation on my older MF lenses.

If a modern DSLR had manual focus aides like a micro porro prism viewfinder one would be shocked how quick manual focus can be. The professional sports photographers at Sports Illustrated were masters of the craft of anticipating action and auto focus.

I still have me most of my manual focus lenses. I have the Rokinon/Samyang 20mm, 35mm and 100mm macro lenses. Love em. I have been drooling over the 85mm and 135mm lenses for several years. If they came out with a 300mm f2.8 I would probably sell my Sigma 300mm f2.8 lens.

I sometimes switch to manual focus mode when using my AF lenses as in some situations is is faster and focus hunting drives me nuts. Plus slowing down a bit often results in better images.

11-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adapting Minolta MD Rokkor lenses to Pentax K cameras.

I found a Fotodiox adapter to mount Minolta MD manual-focus lenses on the Pentax K mount. It sports a few glass elements to compensate for non-matching backfocus length. Tests remain to be done. I had a lens I loved a lot, an MD 100-300 mm f/5.6 zoom that gave amazingly sharp images @ f/11. I'll try it when I find the time. In all, I have 24 MD Rokkor lenses, from 16 to 500 mm. I'll also try my APO 400 mm f/5.6 telephoto. The adapter seems to change the focal length of the primary lens somewhat though.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
11-25-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched from Pentax to Canon in 1995 because I liked their EF/usm AF lenses so much better than what Nikon and Pentax were using at the time {and then I came back to Pentax 2014-15 because Canon Rebel bodies were not reliable enough for me}.

That said, it depends entirely on your preferences. I use AF because it works better than MF does for me and for the majority of subjects I photograph, but if you are different, then you should make the decision that is best for you.

Last edited by reh321; 11-25-2020 at 10:05 AM.
11-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I found a Fotodiox adapter to mount Minolta MD manual-focus lenses on the Pentax K mount. It sports a few glass elements to compensate for non-matching backfocus length. Tests remain to be done. I had a lens I loved a lot, an MD 100-300 mm f/5.6 zoom that gave amazingly sharp images @ f/11. I'll try it when I find the time. In all, I have 24 MD Rokkor lenses, from 16 to 500 mm. I'll also try my APO 400 mm f/5.6 telephoto. The adapter seems to change the focal length of the primary lens somewhat though.

Regards
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out...

11-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If AF hunting was a virtue... which was your "best" lens?

Mine was the DAL 55-300... Pretty good IQ but focus like a truck... a slow... loud... truck.
11-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #99
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other thing about MF is that once you get good at it, you can rely on your skill independent of the lens. With AF you have to trust it is calibrated right, or fuss about with micro adjustments, and if you don't, you run the risk of your camera not quite being in focus, or sometimes it picking the wrong thing to focus on.
11-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The other thing about MF is that once you get good at it, you can rely on your skill independent of the lens. With AF you have to trust it is calibrated right, or fuss about with micro adjustments, and if you don't, you run the risk of your camera not quite being in focus, or sometimes it picking the wrong thing to focus on.
Just today I decided to not fuss with remembering the fine adjustment to All for a favorite MF lens and instead just remember to err a little long with this it.
12-12-2020, 01:54 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Been shopping for binoculars as a gift. I'm somewhat surprised how rare autofocus is with modern binos. I would have thought advancements in technology would have changed by now, but it appears tried and true manual focus designs are still preferred.
12-12-2020, 03:59 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Been shopping for binoculars as a gift. I'm somewhat surprised how rare autofocus is with modern binos. I would have thought advancements in technology would have changed by now, but it appears tried and true manual focus designs are still preferred.
I'd guess that adding AF to binos would decrease the brightness quite a bit, no? Maybe that's the reason.
12-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #103

It’s probably been discussed in other threads, but I think it would be cool if Pentax developed a small line of modern manual focus lenses. I know the modern AF lenses allow MF, but most lack the long focus throw precision and well-dampened feel of the older MF lenses.
12-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'd guess that adding AF to binos would decrease the brightness quite a bit, no? Maybe that's the reason.
I don't know the engineering considerations of porro or roof prism designs and what it would take to make them AF, but I do imagine you would have to add some bulk, weight, and additional weather proofing for an AF system, motor, power supply, etc.

Reliability in the field and often harsh conditions in addition to situations where the noise of AF could be an issue.

And bringing it back to the original thread, I imagine the focus throw would be shorter which would make manual focus override more challenging.
12-12-2020, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
This summer I got the Samyang 135mm F2 ED UMC with manual focus and I LOVE it! Now I want the 35mm F1.4 AS UMC... (Lens Buying Addiction never quits)

I figure, why not? Pentax AF may never equal C and I almost always shoot center spot anyway.

Feels like Back to the Future for me...
No you are not nuts, in fact the desire for manual focus lenses is why it is hard to find anything Pentax for sale any more. Since all the cameras can use the MF lenses, the total population of DSLRs in the Pentax world have created a shortage in Legacy lenses.

Either you are as sane as everyone else, or you are in good company. Along with me ad probably the rest of the PF world as well