Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #1

Kit for KP: quality / price

Hello everyone,

Christmas is upon us and I am really thinking of giving my KP the lenses it deserves (at the moment I only use 28 and 50 of my ME Super).
I'm used to shooting with three or four primes, the main lens is always a 40mm equivalent which I find comfortable as the main lens, combined with a wide angle and a portrait lens to photograph my 5 year old child.

This time I was thinking about the 20-40 limited but I can't find it for less than 600 Euros, only new.
In this case, in the future I could add the 15 ltd and the 70 ltd to have a truly complete kit with just three lenses.

At roughly the same price as the 20-40 I could easily find (not in HD version) the 21mm (my new main lens?), The 40mm and the 70mm limited used, all three together for around 600 euros.

Help me...

11-21-2020, 03:40 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
regarding the DA 20-40mm Limited

QuoteQuote:
:
Description:
The HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR is the first zoom lens to join the Pentax lineup of ultra-compact "limited" lenses. This lens features a sleek all-metal barrel manufactured to very high standards.

This is also the first Limited series lens to feature silent DC autofocus as well as a weather-sealed design. Like the other HD Limited lenses, this lens features Pentax's latest lens coating promising less ghosting and flare.

As is standard for all premium Pentax lenses, this lens allows for full-time manual focus adjustments (Quick shift) and it is treated with Pentax's Super Protect coating to protect the front element from dust and scratches

The lens covers a wide-angle to normal focal length range, and is compatible with Pentax APS-C DSLRs. It will be available in both black and silver in December, 2013 for $999.
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it is the only zoom Limited, but it can cause the same problem as any other

a desire to get more Limited lenses

and it is designed for with your digital camera ******

on the other hand, any of the 3 FA limiteds, 31mm, 43mm or 77mm, would work with both film and digital cameras:

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-FA Lens Series
SMC Pentax-FA lenses have fixed focal lengths and can be used with both Film and Digital Pentax SLRs. They cover the full-frame 24x36mm image circle.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (aperture ring available)
Select lenses feature Power Zoom
Film & Digital
Read more at: Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

whether to get the 3 SMC DA Limiteds

you may want to check this article
QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference . . .

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

enjoy your photography

****** =
QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Newbie Pentax User - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-21-2020 at 09:24 AM.
11-21-2020, 04:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Depends on your style of shooting. I find primes can be a bit cumbersome on a single body so something like the 20-40 or the 16-85 would be ideal for me.

My current setup is the tamron 17-50 and the tamron 90mm macro when I go out, but I'm personally looking to upgrade to the 20-40 and 50-135 for a WR setup.
11-21-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo983 Quote
Hello everyone,

Christmas is upon us and I am really thinking of giving my KP the lenses it deserves (at the moment I only use 28 and 50 of my ME Super).
I'm used to shooting with three or four primes, the main lens is always a 40mm equivalent which I find comfortable as the main lens, combined with a wide angle and a portrait lens to photograph my 5 year old child.

This time I was thinking about the 20-40 limited but I can't find it for less than 600 Euros, only new.
In this case, in the future I could add the 15 ltd and the 70 ltd to have a truly complete kit with just three lenses.

At roughly the same price as the 20-40 I could easily find (not in HD version) the 21mm (my new main lens?), The 40mm and the 70mm limited used, all three together for around 600 euros.

Help me...
I would save money for a bit longer and go for the 20-40mm Ltd, which is by far the best Ltd there is. It gives you about 20 primes. The other option is to go for the 16-85mm, it covers the 21, the 40 and 70mm Ltd's. Personally I am not fond of Ltd's, except the 20-40mm. My 40mm Ltd is a horrible lens and tried the 21mm SMC and 70mm HD and it does not do anything for me, it is a good lens, but not worth the money they ask for it. The 40mm is stuck in its box never to come out again. I think that the 16-85 perfectly fits the KP.

11-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a KP and the two lenses I use most are the 20-40 and the 55-300PLM, both feel like they were made for the camera. The first year I had my KP I was using a Sigma 17-50 2.8 (for times I didn't need weather sealing) which was very good. Then I got the 20-40 so I could have a fast weather sealed zoom fo a trip to London. It was not intended to replace the Sigma, but it did, it was just so much better I didn't care about the 17-19 and 41-50 it lacked. The only other lens you list that I have is the 15, a lens I love, but is a little more limited in use. It's too wide for average landscapes or normal street shooting, but when you find the right subject or setting, it is incomparable.

I enthusiastically recommend the 20-40, it is superb.
11-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Me, I have the 20-40 now and I am just not convinced. I consider going back to the 43mm, which was stolen from me some years ago, or an 35mm ltd and pair those with the 21mm. The 35mm is also an amazing lens, more versatile than the 43.

The 20-40mm is lovely, but I got more 'wows' from the primes. it sounds to me like you would be better served with the 21mm and one or two lenses to complement that one.
11-21-2020, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo983 Quote

The 20-40 is a fine, weather-resistant lens that renders beautifully and offers useful close focusing distance, but - like many zoom lenses - it's not entirely without its quirks. Some folks consider it an outstanding "stack of primes", but I've had a harder time warming to it and much prefer the 21, 35 and 40 (I'm a BIG fan of all the HD DA Limited primes). Rather than discourage you with my personal, subjective reservations, I'll say that you should either try the lens before buying, or order it from a supplier or seller where you can easily return it if you're not happy. It's quite possible - probable, even - that you'd love it (most of our members seem to).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-21-2020 at 11:16 AM.
11-21-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with your preference for primes. I recommend the versatile compact and DA 40mm XS, with gives me the same incredible results as the DA 40mm Limited, but is even smaller and cost less, especially a used used copy. The DA 21mm LTD is incredible, as is the DA 70mm .

I have no experience with the 20-40mm, but the 18-135mm WR delivers great results at any range, is weather resistant, and used copies are very reasonably priced.

Unless you absulately must have auto-focus or apreture control from the camera, Pentax DSLRs accept almost all vintage Pentax lenses with no problems , so you have decades of used lenses to choose from

Last edited by robgski; 11-21-2020 at 10:16 AM.
11-21-2020, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The DA Ltd primes are great on the KP with the small grip, keeping it compact and unobtrusive, e.g. for street, people, or just children shots. Your choice of 21, 40 and 70 make a good pocketable trio. If I could have only one prime for APS-C, it would be the 35 Ltd.

Philip
11-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was out today with my KP with my SMC 50mm FA 1.4 attached (and Sigma 18-200 in my bag). With the 50 it was almost like shooting with a small compact. I am considering getting a 35mm da 2.8.
11-21-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Very difficult question to answer and I find myself going around in circles a lot pondering it for my own use. (Eventually you end up with everything Pentax makes and there is no savings in that, but a lot of fun.)

I will say this, I love the 21mm Limited. The size is perfect and I've always been wowed by the results. So even if I get the 20-40, I'd always keep the 21mm. I see the 20-40 as a normal lens with benefits. i.e. instead of the 35mm Macro, or 35mm FA, or 31mm Limited. I am kinda leaning towards the 31mm ltd, because I can use it on my MX's. And it's arguably the best "normal" lens for Pentax APS-c, but not WR and heavy comparatively. I've had the 35mm Macro before and left it home most of the time.

I tend to use the 15/21/70 or 77 as an EDC carry kit. I think I'd go with the 77 over the 70 only because again, it works with my MX's.

And to further complicate things, sometimes I swap out the 70/77 for the 55-300 WR.

but the take away here is that the 15 and 21 LTD's are staples for me so make of that what you will. I do 95% of what I do with those three. And 80% with the 15 and 21.

The one thing I did with the 15mm is ditch the screw on lens cap and add a Pentax snap on cap. And I put a 43mm B+W filter inside the 21mm's lens hood. How cool is that? Did I mention I love the 21mm Limited?
11-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You could consider the Sigma 17-50 F2.8, or the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 C.
11-21-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Consider a 15mm limited (either variety) to go along with the 20-40mm, along with the PLM 55-300. Would cover a very nice range on your KP.
11-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

When I got my KP for a trip to Yellowknife, Northwest Terrtories a cuople of years ago, I chose the 16-85 as my all-in-one lens, for which it served admirably. Anticipating very cold temperatures, so I wanted to avoid changing lenses. It had been a toss-up between it and the 18-135. Reding the reviews here suggested that the 16-85 had a bit of an edge on IQ, and I knew I'd use the wide end more than the long, so that guided my decision. It's on the biggish side, but it gives great results over a wide range of subjects, and is WR too. I recently added the SMC version of the 35 Limited to my kit and it's a great lens that serves me as a normalish prime on APS-C.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-21-2020 at 11:44 AM.
11-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A copy of the F 28mm f2.8 seems like what you actually want even if it has been out of production for years. May take a little while to find one close to you physically in good condition for a good price; should still be much less than you're seeing the 20-40 go for.