Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
35mm

Is the 35mm considered a normal lens on a DSLR?

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

A 35mm lens in a crop sensor DSLR (~1.5 crop over original 24x36 "full frame") will produce an image with a similar angle of view from a 50mm lens in a 24x36 frame. (50/1.5 = 33.3)
The 50mm is considered a "normal" focal length because it produces an image similar to what you would "normally" see. The term "Normal" means different things to different people. So generally you can say it would be considered a "normal" focal length. Keep in mind the focal length is a physical property of the lens regardless on what it is used. The difference is how much of the image you record.
But what do I know? I'm not normal anyways

Thanks,
6 Days Ago   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read that a 43mm lens is consider to be

QuoteQuote:
. . . the most "normal" focal length there is, matching exactly the diagonal of a full frame sensor. As such, it is a versatile lens suited for varied uses. On APS-C, the field of view is still relatively wide, more so than the ubiquitous 50mm. With its pancake format, it is easy to carry everywhere. Its fast aperture make it useful in low light situations. . . .
Read more at: SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

as far as the difference of " field of view " of a lens when using a crop or full frame sensor:

The Crop Factor Explained: An Anim
QuoteQuote:
ation
Understanding a very confusing concept
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Jan 19, 2015

Read more at: The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
6 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Older pre-digital 35mm lenses have had wide angle as part of the name, so I guess if you are on full frame it's wide angle.

6 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That depends on both the sensor size and what you consider as normal. On apsc bodies a 35mm would give roughly the same field of view as a 50mm lens. On standard 35mm film normal lenses ranged from about 43mm - 58mm. Some argued that the tire normal was 43mm but most went longer with 50-55 being common.
6 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Some people nowadays consider 35mm to be normal and not wide angle on full frame but I don't think that is technically accurate...
6 Days Ago   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was taught by my Dad back in the film days:

35mm or less wide angle

QuoteQuote:
The most common description is that a wide angle lens displays a wider field of view than our vision. However, this doesn’t translate directly to millimetres (mm) and degrees.

So, What mm is a wide angle lens? The popular definition is that a lens below, or equivalent to 35mm is considered a wide angle lens. This is roughly 65 degrees of diagonal field of view.
What is a Wide Angle Lens? (How and When to Use One!)

normal

QuoteQuote:
A standard lens is what we call an ‘inbetweener’. These type of lenses sit in-between wide-angle lenses (< 35 mm equivalent) and telephoto lenses (>70 mm equivalent).

Some people refer to a standard lens as a ‘normal’ lens, and there is a reason why they do.

Standard lenses offer a sim:ilar field of view to the active area of the human eye. This is around 58°, about 1/6th of a 360 view. This means the scenes that you capture with a standard lens feels normal to the viewer.
Everything You Need to Know About Using a Standard Lens

more than 60mm - telephoto

QuoteQuote:
What Is a Telephoto Lens?
A telephoto lens is any lens that has a long focal length. Depending on who you ask, some say a telephoto lens is anything that’s 60mm or greater. Other photographers wouldn’t consider a lens telephoto until 80mm or 85mm. And others don’t use the term until the mid-telephoto range above 135mm.

Either way, a telephoto lens helps to bring distant subjects closer to the camera than a wide-angle or standard focal length lens.
What Is a Telephoto Lens? 5 Things To Know About Long Lenses

but what does a Dad know
6 Days Ago   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Normal generally refers to FOV that appears neither wide nor compressed for most viewers. Traditional "normal" focal lengths for 24x36mm FF have been in the range of 45mm to 58mm; with Asahi/Pentax brand being split between 50mm and 55mm offerings. Applying APS-C crop factor to 50mm (0.67 x 50) results in 33.5mm with many people shooting in the range of 28mm to 35mm for that format when they desire "normal" perspective/FOV.*

I have been using the FA 35/2.0 as my walkaround "normal" on my APS-C dSLRs for at least the last decade or so and have found it works for me.

BTW, There is an arbitrary rule that it is always the length in millimeters of the frame diagonal. For 24x36mm FF, that would be 43mm and strangely enough, most folk who suggest that rule on this site own the FA 43/1.9 Limited, the only lens I am aware of in the entire pantheon of camera optics in that focal length. That said, both 40mm and 45mm have been popular focal lengths for fixed lens rangefinder cameras, so perhaps that counts. FWIW, the diagonal for APS-C is 28.4mm, but few are clamoring for a 28mm Limited.

Steve

* While not strictly the same, the practical aspects of FOV results in characteristic perspective (depends on lens position relative to subject, not focal length) for common subjects.

6 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

I wonder if focal length fashions change over time. So much marketing is geared towards street photography these days. Maybe 35mm is the new normal.
6 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

I thought 35 is the *old* normal. From rangefinder days.

Leica "35 mm is unquestionably the true standard focal length"
5 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I thought 35 is the *old* normal. From rangefinder days.

Leica "35 mm is unquestionably the true standard focal length"
Hmm, that quote seems to come from their SL lens pages. The first L-mount bodies were APS-C, so the phrasing could be a remnant from when there was no full-frame L-mount camera. Did you check?
5 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

I seem to remember a reason given why a 50mm lens (or thereabouts) was "standard issue" on a 35mm film SLR was because that was the shortest focal length that could be designed without going into the complexities of retro-focus to clear the mirror, thereby keeping costs down. By happenstance it also gives a pleasingly "normal" perspective to a 6x4" enprint from a whole negative
There is/was argument that a "natural" field of view is achieved using a lens of focal length equal to the diagonal of the negative … approximately 43mm for a 35mm negative or 28mm for an APSC sensor, many fixed-lens 35mm film cameras from the '60's and onwards were fitted with lenses in the 40-45mm range. Again this is only relevant if making a print from the whole negative/image.
So, in answer to the original question, yes, a 35mm lens could be considered to be a "standard" lens when fitted to an APSC DSLR, assuming comparison to a 35mm SLR camera fitted with it's original "kit" lens.
5 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

50mm offers "normal" field of view - for a cyclops!

I have two eyes with overlapping FOV, plus peripheral vision.
IMO 35mm is "normal" for the 24x36 35mm film frame.

Likewise a full frame DSLR.
For APS-C I use a 24mm lens.

Chris
4 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Hmm, that quote seems to come from their SL lens pages. The first L-mount bodies were APS-C, so the phrasing could be a remnant from when there was no full-frame L-mount camera. Did you check?
I think Leica consistently labels 35mm the normal. I've read that 35 was the normal during rangefinder times. SLRs changed it to 50. I cant source it now but its mentioned all over the place.
4 Days Ago   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
50mm offers "normal" field of view - for a cyclops!

I have two eyes with overlapping FOV, plus peripheral vision.
IMO 35mm is "normal" for the 24x36 35mm film frame.

Likewise a full frame DSLR.
For APS-C I use a 24mm lens.

Chris
I too, tend to take the wide view of the world. For me 50mm has only been normal in the sense that for a decade or so, it was the only lens I owned and was "normally" on the the camera. I did find that most subjects would be addressed by that focal length, so I was happy.

Steve