Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

HD DA 55-300 WR PLM for $396......is now the time to buy ?

I was just curious after seeing this lens listed on Amazon for $396 if now was an appropriate time to buy , or is it going to get any cheaper during the holidays on Amazon?
I'm only asking this question specifically about Amazon as I have their credit card , store card , and I'm a Prime member.
This lens is next in line for my Pentax KP travel kit, and I'm really having a hard time not hitting the Buy It Now button for $396 !
What say ye Pentax Forum Brothers?

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 2 Days Ago at 01:25 PM.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The price is probably going to go "up and down" quite often from now until Jan 2021 - generally I'd wait until a couple of days after Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and then Xmas Day/ New Years Day because I think that's when the prices will probably be lowest.

PS: OTOH, no hesitation about recommending the purchase of the PLM as it's now one of my favourite lenses (bought my copy right at the end of the January Sales in 2018 - and the price was as low as/lower than it had been for the previous 2-3 months!
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to say if it will drop this year, but I believe it's sold for 346 before. Check out the deal finder if you haven't already:

Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

2 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itís so hard to know, isnít it. I was very fortunate a couple of years ago to get this lens on Amazon UK for GBP250 just after it was released (I could hardly believe it) whereas today itís 379. Iím not sure itíll go much lower than that - what do others think?

2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's hard to say if it will drop this year, but I believe it's sold for 346 before. Check out the deal finder if you haven't already:

Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder
If I remember correctly that was what I paid a couple of years ago.
2 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Itís so hard to know, isnít it. I was very fortunate a couple of years ago to get this lens on Amazon UK for GBP250 just after it was released (I could hardly believe it) whereas today itís 379. Iím not sure itíll go much lower than that - what do others think?
I think that the prices of lenses will steadily increase. Newly developed lenses are more expensive and prices will increase over time also for the older ones, because production costs in the low wages countries are increasing as well due to higher wages.
2 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The time to buy is when you need it and you're going to use it. And if you've been good this year it can be a Xmas present to yourself.
2 Days Ago   #8

I cant wait for this lens to go full frame!

2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I l8ke my 55-300 WR this lens is something I am probably going to buy eventually for the faster and silent autofocus.

But I have to say the screwdrive 55-300 WR is definitely a well executed consumer grade lens.
2 Days Ago   #10

Many of the merchants are offering "Black Friday" price protection.matching. Perhaps this is the case.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid 360 in Aug of 2018. Greentoe has it for 366 right now, I've never used Greentoe but some forum users have and recommend it. It has been mentioned in a recent thread. It is a heck of a lens that I can't say enough good things about.
2 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H and Adorama both have it at this price also. It's also the same price I paid in Dec 2018. If I recall it dropped to about $350 for a short time in 2019. That was probably done to reduce excess inventory in order to get production and sales more in alignment with each other. I don't think it will drop much if any lower than it is now.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
If I remember correctly that was what I paid a couple of years ago.
Ditto, around $350 is what I remember. Great lens, enjoy whenever you finally go for it.
2 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

I'd probably buy one at the current price - if it worked on a K5. But given that the price is actually the cost of the lens plus a K3 of some variation, probably not yet.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I picked my copy for around $350 as well. I have gotten good use out of it and the optics are good considering the long zoom range and price.