Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MidwestMax Quote
I agree. The shots from the 85 look sharper but still maintain a sort of cinematic feel.
Hmm, cinematic feel? I need to take a look at those photos again ...

11-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Both are excellent lenses. On a purely subjective level I prefer the 85mm.

Tom G
Yes, we can't go wrong w/ either lens I'd say
11-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
It fairly obvious the 85mm is going to have more developed bokeh due to it's larger aperture and longer focal length.
The above taken into consideration I think it's hard to be completely critical.
I would say the 77mm seems to be allowing more light to pass through at matching apertures though.

I'd like the 85mm for it's max aperture, but am more than happy with the 77mm

Thanks for the work Frank!
Actually I used FA77 alot more often than the FA*85, mostly due to its smaller size, and excellent IQ
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Frank! I suspect that's because you slip him a little $$...

I hope you are well good sir.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc Life can't be better, except work (might need to find a new job soon ).

11-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 77 shots are lighter than the 85. But they look almost alike in IQ.
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Subjectively I prefer the 85 for the bokeh, but I'd be more than happy to own either one of them.
11-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this comparison! Thank your dad too!

While it is obvious the bokeh from the 85 edges out the 77, I think I prefer the 77 rendering of the subject, though it's really too close to say. Given that I own the FA77 I wouldn't shell out for the 85 based on this evidence. Photoshop has rather nice blurring algorithms for those cases where it really matters.

11-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'll tell you one thing, your fathers not looking too chuffed in any of these, how long did he have to stand for you to do the tests.

I must admit I have the A series 85mm F1.4 (with the pukka hood) and I luv it to bits, so I guess I'm to biased to comment about the best lens.
11-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'll tell you one thing, your fathers not looking too chuffed in any of these, how long did he have to stand for you to do the tests.

I must admit I have the A series 85mm F1.4 (with the pukka hood) and I luv it to bits, so I guess I'm to biased to comment about the best lens.
I think bias is the point here. Both lenses seem to perform extremely well, but in different ways, so the best lens is the one you like the most. There is no way to give an absolute answer to the question of which one is the better lens.

I've always wanted the A* 85 and eventually had to "settle" for the 77 Ltd. After seeing these comparisons I find I actually like the rendition of the 77 Ltd better, so I'm happy I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the A* 85 if the 77 Ltd gives me what I want. For others it will be the other way around and they'll want the A* 85.

It really is a matter of taste and a testament to Pentax's design prowess that they're capable of creating two great lenses at the very top of the 80mm food chain and yet give each of them a distinct personality.
11-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Due to the different focal lengths I suppose, but his face looks fuller (rounder) in the 85mm shots?...
11-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote

Well, I guess my dad is pretty comfortable w/ the camera, most of all, me the shooter

The A*85/1.4 is a great lens too. I'd compared it against the FA77 before, and the A*85 stands out well at wider (than F5.6) apertures
11-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The 77 shots are lighter than the 85. But they look almost alike in IQ.
I agree w/ you on the IQ part To me they are all pretty good.

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Subjectively I prefer the 85 for the bokeh, but I'd be more than happy to own either one of them.
If I didn't check the focal length, it'd be really hard for me to tell which photo is taken by which lens, especially when looking at larger sizes

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Thanks for this comparison! Thank your dad too!

While it is obvious the bokeh from the 85 edges out the 77, I think I prefer the 77 rendering of the subject, though it's really too close to say. Given that I own the FA77 I wouldn't shell out for the 85 based on this evidence. Photoshop has rather nice blurring algorithms for those cases where it really matters.
Thanks Robin I'm sure most FA77 owners are pretty happy w/ it. It's such a wonderful lens after all.
11-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I think bias is the point here. Both lenses seem to perform extremely well, but in different ways, so the best lens is the one you like the most. There is no way to give an absolute answer to the question of which one is the better lens.

I've always wanted the A* 85 and eventually had to "settle" for the 77 Ltd. After seeing these comparisons I find I actually like the rendition of the 77 Ltd better, so I'm happy I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the A* 85 if the 77 Ltd gives me what I want. For others it will be the other way around and they'll want the A* 85.

It really is a matter of taste and a testament to Pentax's design prowess that they're capable of creating two great lenses at the very top of the 80mm food chain and yet give each of them a distinct personality.
Actually A*85 is quite different from FA*85. At wider aperture I think A*85 has its edge. Bokeh wise, the FA*85 is optimized for portraits, probably it's more suitable for this kind of photos. Optically A*85 is more close to FA77 than it is to FA*85.

If you already have FA77 and are happy w/ it, don't think you'd be any happier w/ the A*85
11-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Due to the different focal lengths I suppose, but his face looks fuller (rounder) in the 85mm shots?...
Hmm, hard to tell. Maybe I should've moved abit closer when testing the FA77 so we'd see similar FOV ...
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, hard to tell. Maybe I should've moved abit closer when testing the FA77 so we'd see similar FOV ...
But that's what made it so easy to tell which lens took the shot!

When I first saw the series, I did note that the pictures seemed framed for the 85, then taken with the 77, so as photos, the 85's were more successful.

But that was me in my head defending the 77

But amazing set of comparison shots overall! Thanks for this, Frank.