Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Telephoto lenses for shooting tits : 10 lenses compared

About 10 paper rolls tested with a dummy bird :

Ultra Achromatic Takumar rocks everything, even with its cracked front lens, confirming the "field" feeling I had of it
300/4 V2 and V3 manage well at corners
500/4.5 bleeds red, a bit disapointed
400/4 confirms my feeling about being a very good lens
Donuts factory is quite good at center but does nots seems to be good outside

11-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm feeling thick... what does PO stand for (Phully Open?)?
Exposure seems to be a little inconsistent, especially on the right side of the table (subject off-center)... did you shoot all pictures with the same parameters (and the differences are thus an indication on vignetting)?

I agree with your conclusions... the difference betweer center and boders in the pictures taken with the catadioptric is especially striking.
11-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bien fait mon ami.
Canon camera is 20MPx full frame, right?
Lots of work there. I have had similar experience with my own big 400mm test (in progress) I am pretty sure that the occasional anomalous result, which I also experience, is in most cases caused by vibration/shake. Just seems to ocasionally creep in, even with a good set up and using remote cable. In your set the tamron mirror is clearly the one that doesn't compute. Mirrors are normally notable for being consistent across the frame.
I would have expected much more obvious differences between corners results and centre results, particularly with the older lenses at smaller F's.
11-29-2020, 12:32 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

oh, alright -- I'll say it -- great thread title. You got me to look & my wife looking over my shoulder commenting -- "sure, you open that thread first" .....

11-29-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #5

LensBeginner, PO is for "pleine ouverture", it means "wide open".
11-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tryphon4 Quote
LensBeginner, PO is for "pleine ouverture", it means "wide open".
Bien Úvidemment, c'est logique! Je n'avais pas lu son pays d'origine au dessous de sa photo de profil!

Merci beaucoup!
11-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'm feeling thick... what does PO stand for (Phully Open?)?
Exposure seems to be a little inconsistent, especially on the right side of the table (subject off-center)... did you shoot all pictures with the same parameters (and the differences are thus an indication on vignetting)?

I agree with your conclusions... the difference betweer center and boders in the pictures taken with the catadioptric is especially striking.
As said, PO is Pleine Ouverture, which corresponds to Full Aperture.
I let the body calculate the parameters because I was thrusting it and for time sparing (quickier than using M mode and ajusting speed for each shot and calculating for "non plain stops").
For the Tamron, I was also surprised and note sure about the picture of bord being in the corner, it will require other tests to better know this lens (I already has it in the past but sold it).

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Bien fait mon ami.
Canon camera is 20MPx full frame, right?
Lots of work there. I have had similar experience with my own big 400mm test (in progress) I am pretty sure that the occasional anomalous result, which I also experience, is in most cases caused by vibration/shake. Just seems to ocasionally creep in, even with a good set up and using remote cable. In your set the tamron mirror is clearly the one that doesn't compute. Mirrors are normally notable for being consistent across the frame.
I would have expected much more obvious differences between corners results and centre results, particularly with the older lenses at smaller F's.
Yes, 20Mpix FF. I had a 5D mk1 for years when Pentax did not have any FF body, now I have several Samyang lenses in EF mount and the 6D was a real bargain.
I was using the camera on sturdy tripod and wireless trigger for most of the shots (and wired trigger when the wireless ran out of battery), so I am not expecting shake. I would rather bet for a slightly defocused picture, even if I was checking at x10 in leveview to focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
oh, alright -- I'll say it -- great thread title. You got me to look & my wife looking over my shoulder commenting -- "sure, you open that thread first" .....

I was fooled too several times so I choose to take my revenge, as tits seems to be an other common word for birds
11-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
As said, PO is Pleine Ouverture, which corresponds to Full Aperture.
I let the body calculate the parameters because I was thrusting it and for time sparing (quickier than using M mode and ajusting speed for each shot and calculating for "non plain stops").
For the Tamron, I was also surprised and note sure about the picture of bord being in the corner, it will require other tests to better know this lens (I already has it in the past but sold it).
Thanks for the explanation

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I was fooled too several times so I choose to take my revenge, as tits seems to be an other common word for birds
It isn't... it only refers to members of the Paridae family... so only some small ones... I certainly wouldn't call an eagle a "tit".

11-30-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
But you can note that my dummy bird is a small one
11-30-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Thanks for the explanation

It isn't... it only refers to members of the Paridae family... so only some small ones... I certainly wouldn't call an eagle a "tit".
"Biggest tit I have ever seen!!!"
11-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I think I know- now he's done the testing for his telephoto lens, all he needs is a good beach in good weather!