Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

pentax SMC 50-200mm

hello everybody,

i bought my first dslr (pentax k10d) 4 months ago together with the 18-55 kitlens, i would like to buy me a new lens mostly for surf fotografy/waves , but also landscapes/ city life and portraits.

i was looking for a second hand lens since i'm on a tight students budget, i found a used pentax smc 50-200 mm lens for 60 euro's. obviously i'm verry much a beginner so i was hoping you fine people might tell me if this is a good deal and maybe what this lens is all about.

thanks in advance for you're time

11-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have paid just about the going price or perhaps a bit under, so you have a good deal I would suggest.. Prices vary a bit from continent to continent. You would pay more in Aus I reckon.
A good lens for initial set up. Gives great results. I dont think you will regret that lens at all.
As time etc permits, you should look into something wider next, eg 17-70 etc.
Best of luck, and lets see some of your shots, you wont be criticized, but certainly encouraged by all on the Forums.
# sorry, notice you have an 18-55 already, my mistake!
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The SMC DA 50-200mm is a fine lens, and produces nice images. It simply is not that popular anymore. I bought it with my *ist DL a few years ago, and since then, I think the Pentax/Tamron 18-250, Pentax 50-135, Tamron/Sigma 70-200, and Pentax 55-300 lenses have been released. Plus, you've got the Tamron/Sigma 70-300mm lenses out and quite cheap, along with some other options in this focal range. Of course, each of those lenses is different, some way more expensive than the others, some faster lenses than the others, some much heavier than the others, but in general, the 50-200 has gotten lost in the shuffle in my opinion.

That said, the 50-200 is quite cheap these days (especially used), quite light and compact, and truly does produce nice images. I still have mine, and am pretty pleased with it. I just don't use it all that much, and may end up upgrading it to one of the better lenses one of these days.
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

I have one, it's an OK lense. The vingetting seems a bit severe.

Last edited by Mindflux; 11-12-2008 at 01:21 PM.