Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 05:19 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wow, didn’t mean to post such a heated thread. Just a good natured photo topic.
I'm sorry, but this is 2020. Good natured went out of fashion years ago. Wake up and smell the bacon

12-01-2020, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This means you have the focal length, series, manufacturer, etc. the club is focused on. I did a quick count and came up with 71. Geez. Granted some lenses overlap into different clubs and some clubs include any lens, but geez. I haven't posted in anywhere near all these clubs.

Thanks,
barondla
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You just had to, didn't you

I ended up at about 70 but sort of lost count somewhere on page three. No, I'm not doing a recount
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Wow, I'm way behind and need to get buying. I only count 12. And I thought I had my LBA under control.
In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I reached 52 clubs. Not bad for 60 lenses,
12-01-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a new lens club for owners who have lenses with scratch marks on the body...
12-01-2020, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Some people only go to some clubs. If you want to get your image in front of everyone who might be interested, you have to post in a lot of clubs. You also miss the camera clubs, K-1 , K-3, K-P.. also places to post. As long as there's evidence that the people in thread look at and appreciate your work in the thread in question, why would you stop crisis posting there?

I have 34 threads where I regularly post and bunch of others where I might post if the thread comes up on the front page, and I have a relevant image. I have to ask those opposed to cross posting... what's the downside?

Since in many cases different people post in and follow differentiations threads, how would you decide who your going to "cut off" by abandoning the thread? We all have threads we follow. For me, you pet a day and forest walks". In those threads, we are posting for maybe 20 people. That doesn't make them less enjoyable than the the K-1 thread or the K-3.

With the threads started by many different users, it's kind of like an Urban Sprawl type of lack of central planning. Duplication is inevitable. Insisting on no cross posting kind of sounds like colouring inside the lines or saying "Think inside the box." Some folks like a blank pages.

One of my favourite old Quaker sayings. "Do not limit thyself." Live life to the max. Meet your audience half way. Post where they read. Don't be arrogant enough to think people will seek you out just because you're you.

Last edited by normhead; 12-01-2020 at 06:56 AM.
12-01-2020, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to ask those opposed to cross posting... what's the downside?
I'm not opposed to it personally, but it makes the "latest posts" functionality pretty useless, as all you see is a bunch of largely identical posts from one member (assuming the cross-postings are posted one after another in quick succession). When I was a moderator, we used to receive complaints about multiple identical posts like this. In some cases, those filing the complaint would describe it as akin to "spamming". I don't know about that, but it's certainly against forum rules to post the same content in multiple threads. Some latitude was allowed for the clubs, but only to an extent. If the club posts are spread out over a number of days or weeks, it's less of an issue...
12-01-2020, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not opposed to it personally, but it makes the "latest posts" functionality pretty useless...
I didn't even know the forums had that function to begin with. I do like the latest threads function, which would prevent having cross-posting from flooding the top of the list (unless someone just made new threads in every place).
12-01-2020, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not opposed to it personally, but it makes the "latest posts" functionality pretty useless, as all you see is a bunch of largely identical posts from one member (assuming the cross-postings are posted one after another in quick succession). When I was a moderator, we used to receive complaints about multiple identical posts like this. In some cases, those filing the complaint would describe it as akin to "spamming". I don't know about that, but it's certainly against forum rules to post the same content in multiple threads. Some latitude was allowed for the clubs, but only to an extent. If the club posts are spread out over a number of days or weeks, it's less of an issue...
The latest posts function is pretty useless. I've started threads that went for day without making it to the "latest posts" page. I see endless Fuji and Sony posts at the same time my posts are buried in some kind of "latests posts" twilight zone. So, IMHO, "Latest posts are usually are irrelevant because of non-Pentax postings, not by multiple posts.

I expect a little better rational from the mods on this. A bunch of people complain means next to nothing. Are there more than those who like it the way it is? Why would you run a forum for these guys?

If I shoot a relevant image with the K-3 and DA 18-135 it's relevant to the "Forest Walks" thread, the K-3 images thread and the DA 18-135 thread. What would be the advantage to posting in only one of them? There's also the 200mm club, the magic light club, the DA* club, and many other overlapping clubs where you could legitimately post 3 posts the same in different forums.

I'd be happy to get this debate out into the open instead of being exclusive to complainers and mods. Let's see if these folks are willing to state their opinions out in the light of day, as opposed to hiding behind the mods' skirts. Maybe a poll. It sounds like the mod team may be catering to forum "special interest groups." I'd suggest such complaints are actually attacks on specific individuals who post in multiple threads rather than any concern for the "latest posts" page, which as I have pointed out, does not accurately display recent posts in any case. I have had multiple posts that never made it onto the recent posts page, at all. I'm not going to complain about that, it's not a concern. But I'm certainly not going to give any credence to the suggestion that cross posting ruins the "recent posts" page more than many other factors. I can recall, about twice, when that was even an issue.

What happens more often is I post in multiple threads, and none of them makes the "recents" page.

I guess the referred to complainers don't care. They don't want to build people up, just slap them down.

I'd love to be able to find out who these people are and block them from seeing my cross posts. I have no need to share what I do with people who don't like what I do. And yes, a lot of it's personal. The forum I've those people a place to complain, it doesn't give those they complain about the ability to restrict their access to our posts. There is an ignore function, these individuals have every right ability to ignore cross posters. Unfortunately, if you are a cross poster, there is no ability to restrict these complainers from seeing your posts. They have the solution, cross posters don't. Yet they complain to the mods about us. How warped is that?

Dudes, do the right thing, ignore me and everyone else who's posting style is not to you liking, quit bothering the mods with this nonsense.

Last edited by normhead; 12-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.
12-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i cross posted some images a while back and got a warning for doing so, even though one was in the lens sample archive index, and another in the 300mm+ thread as well as the post your photo forum. i thought it seemed weird to get the warning and i dont usually cross post often. however, i dont see what is wrong with it, if used accordingly.

the other issue is although a shot may be "of interest" to multiple groups it i think becomes more relevant to post and cross post in the groups you routinely follow. Aside from that, i would favor posting / cross posting in the sample image archive, bewcause that is where people might just look for images from one lens,

the fact you can , based upon your addiction for lenses, qualify to post in a lot of different clubs mean you are obliged to.
12-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i cross posted some images a while back and got a warning for doing so, even though one was in the lens sample archive index, and another in the 300mm+ thread as well as the post your photo forum. i thought it seemed weird to get the warning and i dont usually cross post often. however, i dont see what is wrong with it, if used accordingly.

the other issue is although a shot may be "of interest" to multiple groups it i think becomes more relevant to post and cross post in the groups you routinely follow. Aside from that, i would favor posting / cross posting in the sample image archive, bewcause that is where people might just look for images from one lens,

the fact you can , based upon your addiction for lenses, qualify to post in a lot of different clubs mean you are obliged to.
In a case like this, where enforcing the policy is going to negatively impact forum use by quite a few members, it's sad to see such an arbitrary rule being enforced, probably to the detriment of the forum.

It won't encourage others to post, it will simply prevent the presentation of relevant info in multiple threads threads where it's relevance cannot be questioned . And because someone clicked on a link and saw the same information twice. That's a complaint for people who have no real problems.

The low down, sneaky behind the back way some people are trying to enforce their "morality" on this forum is disappointing.

It's a poorly thought out restriction, being used by those with personal vendettas.

It's absolutely insane that people can't post relevant information in relevant threads, when every thread eventually gets over taken by irrelevant information. This is a case of those who do being impacted by the opinions of those who don't. Envy, jealousy? What?

The only thing relevant to where something should be posted should be relevance to the thread title. Or is this the place for some social engineering experiments? Since no one seems to be arguing that it's impossible for a post to be relevant to more than one thread I don't even see the issue beyond "some people like to complain." It might be the role of those they complain to to ascertain exactly what they are up to, since it isn't readily apparent.

Are people genuinely upset because relevant information is posted in a relevant thread, based on an unfortunate technicality?

Last edited by normhead; 12-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.
12-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In a case like this, where enforcing the policy is going to negatively impact forum use by quite a few members, it's sad to see such an arbitrary rule being enforced, probably to the detriment of the forum.

It won't encourage others to post, it will simply prevent the presentation of relevant info in multiple threads threads where it's relevance cannot be questioned . And because someone clicked on a link and saw the same information twice. That's a complaint for people who have no real problems.

The low down, sneaky behind the back way some people are trying to enforce their "morality" on this forum is disappointing.

It's a poorly thought out restriction, being used by those with personal vendettas.

It's absolutely insane that people can't post relevant information in relevant threads, when every thread eventually gets over taken by irrelevant information. This is a case of those who do being impacted by the opinions of those who don't. Envy, jealousy? What?

The only thing relevant to where something should be posted should be relevance to the thread title. Or is this the place for some social engineering experiments? Since no one seems to be arguing that it's impossible for a post to be relevant to more than one thread I don't even see the issue beyond "some people like to complain." It might be the role of those they complain to to ascertain exactly what they are up to, since it isn't readily apparent.

Are people genuinely upset because relevant information is posted in a relevant thread, based on an unfortunate technicality?
i guess the only way to avoid issues of cross posting is to post it in the most relevant thread, and put links to that thread elsewhere. but lets not ignite a debate with others of how to determine the most relevant thread because it will never end, as relevance is somewhat an "at the moment" sort of perspective.
12-01-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The forum rules deal with this issue very well, in my view: "Multiple or repeated posting of the same thread, post, or link is not allowed except that a photo may be posted in more than one thread, within reason, in the context of photo sharing."

I can see no reason to disallow posting a photo, in context, in more than one thread.
12-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I cannot see a record of such a warning for you. Happy to discuss by PM.
12-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Good to have that sorted then.I personally have never been warned for cross posting, and I do it almost every time I post.
12-01-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I cannot see a record of such a warning for you. Happy to discuss by PM.
no need for PM i think it was an auto generated warning. it was a long time ago now.
12-01-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #30
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess some of the complaints are based on ( I do not know ) the same picture posted in many threads at close to the same day.
Depending on the members gallery allowance a different submission per thread would maybe nice.
We generally take heaps of shots at any given location with the same lens or different lenses so I guess variety of shots is nicer ,