Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many lens clubs could you legitimately post in?

This means you have the focal length, series, manufacturer, etc. the club is focused on. I did a quick count and came up with 71. Geez. Granted some lenses overlap into different clubs and some clubs include any lens, but geez. I haven't posted in anywhere near all these clubs.

Thanks,
barondla

11-30-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The difficulty can be deciding which clubs to post in if your lens fits in several, as you don't really want to be cross-posting the same image five times in one day...
11-30-2020, 10:08 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The difficulty can be deciding which clubs to post in if your lens fits in several, as you don't really want to be cross-posting the same image five times in one day...
now there's another question - what lens could legitimately have images posted in the highest number of clubs, and how many is that - maybe we need barondla's raw data
11-30-2020, 10:38 AM - 9 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is a controversial issue on the forums with either answers being right (or wrong) depending on how you use PF.

On one hand, people who interact more intensively on PF don't want to see the same image cross-posted a bunch of times.

On the other hand, people looking to see what a specific lens focal length, maker, camera, or photographic style can do really would benefit from seeing ALL of the images to fit in that category. Thus, an image taken with a K-1 and 100mm Takumar macro of an intriguing insect really does need to be posted in multiple clubs or threads (K-1, 100mm, Takumar club, insect thread, bokeh thread, etc.). Being forced to pick one club means users of all the other clubs lose out.

One proposal -- if Adam could implement such a feature -- is to provide some way to post something flagged as a "duplicate" or "cross-post." The image might show up in several threads but only show up once in the various "new post" lists. People who hate duplicates might use an analog to the "ignore user" feature that "ignores duplicates."

That way, both populations of users get what they want!

11-30-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For me, it depends on what I'm wanting to showcase, I guess. I haven't counted up how many clubs I could join, but can see a case where a photo may belong in one but not another, or even one specific thread over another.

For example, I love the older 15mm limited for the starbursts. If there was a "show us your starbursts" thread, then I'd be more likely to post a sample there instead of the 15mm controls my mind" club.
11-30-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This is a controversial issue on the forums with either answers being right (or wrong) depending on how you use PF.. . . !

to add to the confusion and the hijack of the thread

I routinely post to " game " threads and " theme " threads

Weekly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories - PentaxForums.com

so would such posts make it wrong to then post the image to a " club " thread ?

Lens Clubs - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2020 at 11:25 AM.
11-30-2020, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This means you have the focal length, series, manufacturer, etc. the club is focused on. I did a quick count and came up with 71. Geez. Granted some lenses overlap into different clubs and some clubs include any lens, but geez. I haven't posted in anywhere near all these clubs.
You just had to, didn't you

I ended up at about 70 but sort of lost count somewhere on page three. No, I'm not doing a recount

11-30-2020, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends how much time you have. I'm basically a Pentax Forums kind of person because I don't have much time.
11-30-2020, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On one hand, people who interact more intensively on PF don't want to see the same image cross-posted a bunch of times.
I see stuff crossposted all the time (I cross post myself too), it doesn't bother me. It gets more visibility to people who don't go through all the clubs
11-30-2020, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll admit I usually crosspost in 2 clubs and when I wanna show some examples to ilustrate something for a discussion I might show some of those pictures again.
On the other hand I usually don't post more than 1 or 2 pictures per month so I don't think that I overly annoy anybody by that (except in case of an event like this months giveaway, then I post a little more images)
11-30-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I'll admit I usually crosspost in 2 clubs and when I wanna show some examples to ilustrate something for a discussion I might show some of those pictures again.
On the other hand I usually don't post more than 1 or 2 pictures per month so I don't think that I overly annoy anybody by that (except in case of an event like this months giveaway, then I post a little more images)
It’s really about the image, not the lens. Of course a photo has many different angles of viewing, color, dof, distortion, focal length.. each a result of the lens. But posting separately seems too much for me. It isn’t annoying or something, but a photo is posted to be discussed, admired (or hated, it’s the game) and commented. . It’s all about the photo. All the parameters should be discussed in a thread. I think I find the point there. And on top of that, any particular character of the lens.
11-30-2020, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, didn’t mean to post such a heated thread. Just a good natured photo topic.

---------- Post added 11-30-20 at 06:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
For me, it depends on what I'm wanting to showcase, I guess. I haven't counted up how many clubs I could join, but can see a case where a photo may belong in one but not another, or even one specific thread over another.

For example, I love the older 15mm limited for the starbursts. If there was a "show us your starbursts" thread, then I'd be more likely to post a sample there instead of the 15mm controls my mind" club.
Understand your larger point. There is a star burst lens club! Starbursts Lens Club - PentaxForums.com

Looking through all the clubs I did find a few new ones to post in.

Thanks,
barondla
11-30-2020, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Groucho Marx's attitude about clubs....
11-30-2020, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I'm way behind and need to get buying. I only count 12. And I thought I had my LBA under control.
12-01-2020, 03:23 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wow, didn’t mean to post such a heated thread. Just a good natured photo topic.. . .
next time ask about what strap system to use or the use of filters why don't ya

[ that's a joke, son ]

great topic

thanks for starting the thread