Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
AF/MF switch on DA*300

Hi
I just received my DA*300 that I had on order for quite a while. It seems to me that the AF/MF switch on the lens is acting up. This is the first lens with this feature I have. I’m using a K3. If I flip the switch to MF it switches over ok, but when I return the switch to the AF position it doesn’t go back to auto focus. After a short time it will go back into auto focus but I don’t think it should take this long. I wondered if this could be a firmware issue, couldn’t really see it since the camera came out after the lens, but I did upgrade the camera to the most recent firmware. Has anyone else had an issue like this, if so is this a common problem with these lenses.

Thanks
Evan

12-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you also changing the AF/MF on the body?

Also make sure the switch is fully in position, it can stop out of either position.
12-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Are you also changing the AF/MF on the body?

Also make sure the switch is fully in position, it can stop out of either position.
No I’m only changing it on the lens. I push the switch all the way forward until it stops. That should be the AF position i would think.

---------- Post added 12-01-20 at 09:40 PM ----------

Sometimes it will go into AF and then switch back to MF after a while with out moving the switch. I’m starting to wonder if the switch is faulty.
12-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is also possible the sdm is bad. When it goes into manual focus does it behave any different than af except it doesn’t focus?

12-01-2020, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not that I’ve noticed. It just goes into MF as far as I can tell.
12-02-2020, 04:37 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there still an issue with the SDM motors? What I had read the problem on the new ones had been resolved.
12-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjovolde Quote
Is there still an issue with the SDM motors? What I had read the problem on the new ones had been resolved.
Am wondering.

I noticed some DA*300 comes on the old box (which is black and has green and red etc colours).

And some DA*300 comes in the box with new design, the silverish grey box with a few big 'K' around it.

Does it mean the ones in that new silverish grey box, supposedly has the 'new' SDM motor? (And supoosedly, lesser chance of it going haywire?)

12-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
This one was in the silver box, I picked it up yesterday. There wasn’t one in Canada so they had to order it in. It took quite a while to come in. I’m hoping I don’t have to send it in and get it fixed.
12-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if the vast majority are fixed there could be a bad part slipping by quality control. I don’t know that this is the case, usually sdm failure would emit squeaks and squeal a bit and slow down. I asked the question but I can’t say it’s the most likely problem. Control circuits in the lens could be bad - it is difficult know. I personally would return the lens or send for repairs.
12-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens makes a clicking sound when it acquires focus. Is that normal.
12-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens makes a clicking sound when it acquires focus. Is that normal.
Not that I’ve seen. It should make very slight sounds. The noises are more like a tiny whine than clicks. It’s hard to describe. If possible maybe take video with audio of the lens focusing and clicking and post it.
12-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
It’s not really a click more a faint sound. I’ll see if i can post a video somehow. Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the camera shop I deal with and see what they want to do about it. It’s brand new maybe they can get in another and swap it for me.
12-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully, they do a one for one replacement for you.

brand new just came in to you and something like this pop.

Should replace.
12-02-2020, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just talked to the camera shop I deal with. They are getting me a new lens no problem. Thanks for the info and help.
12-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good result, it should not make that noise