Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Don't forget the radiation dose of potassium-40 you get whenever in the presence of a banana as well - what a dangerous world we live in!
Now that's radiation with a peel! (No wonder my banana split melts so quickly -- while I'm splitting the banana, the banana is splitting it's atoms!)

12-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Don't forget the radiation dose of potassium-40 you get whenever in the presence of a banana as well - what a dangerous world we live in!
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Now that's radiation with a peel! (No wonder my banana split melts so quickly -- while I'm splitting the banana, the banana is splitting it's atoms!)
banana gives off radiation ?

so is a banana split is really splitting atoms ?

pull the other leg

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-03-2020 at 07:25 PM.
12-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I intended this post to be tongue-in-cheek. Please don't take it seriously.
It is funny, but there are people scared by these and dumb enough to buy it.
12-03-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

pull the other leg
I'm not pulling your leg but maybe twisting the definition of splitting a wee bit. The decay of Potassium-40 (Wikipedia) is not quite as dramatic as the fission of Uranium. The decay of K-40 involves either the emission of an electron and an antineutrino, or the emission of a gamma ray and a neutrino, or (rarely) the emission of a positron and a neutrino. So parts of the nucleus (mainly energy) do come splitting out.

Not only is the banana radioactive but so are you! The average 70 kg human produces about 3,400 disintegrations per second from the potassium that is naturally stored and used by the body.

12-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

pull the other leg
They do as do other foods that are high in potassium.

Steve
12-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget the role of Proposition 65 stickers....
12-03-2020, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #22

If all you want to do is see if your lenses are emitting particles for very little money money you can make a cloud chamber.

How to make your own cloud chamber | CERN

12-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm not pulling your leg but maybe twisting the definition of splitting a wee bit. The decay of Potassium-40 (Wikipedia) is not quite as dramatic as the fission of Uranium. The decay of K-40 involves either the emission of an electron and an antineutrino, or the emission of a gamma ray and a neutrino, or (rarely) the emission of a positron and a neutrino. So parts of the nucleus (mainly energy) do come splitting out.

Not only is the banana radioactive but so are you! The average 70 kg human produces about 3,400 disintegrations per second from the potassium that is naturally stored and used by the body.
I don't doubt any of it

I was just trying to play along
12-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I think geiger counters are cool for people who are curious as well. It's fun to see rocks with uranium in them or check the radiation in a flight (when that's safe again). Owning a geiger counter does not make you paranoid.

What exactly is the point of this thread?
12-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Owning a geiger counter does not make you paranoid.
If you live in areas affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster or other "hot" areas due to similar accidents having a geiger counter is perfectly understandable, essential to those who chose to reside in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
12-03-2020, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you live in areas affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster or other "hot" areas due to similar accidents having a geiger counter is perfectly understandable, essential to those who chose to reside in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
I think it's kind of ironic that people in a hobby that spend thousands to tens of thousands on gear would make fun of a fun educational hobby like nuclear science. A Geiger counter can be a very fun device for those interested.

Again what is the point of this thread? Are we making fun of people who are worried about their Takumars or are we making fun of people who buy Geiger counters?

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 12-03-2020 at 10:06 PM.
12-03-2020, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are we making fun of people who are worried about their Takumars or are we making fun of people who buy Geiger counters?
We're making fun of people who buy Takumars and then out of sheer misinformed panic, buy Geiger counters without having any skill on correctly interpreting the results, or having any knowledge on how to calibrate such a device.
12-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as you don't try to eat the lens, or sleep with it under your pillow you should be fine...
12-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
We're making fun of people who buy Takumars and then out of sheer misinformed panic, buy Geiger counters without having any skill on correctly interpreting the results, or having any knowledge on how to calibrate such a device.
Fair enough! Though I still think it'd be cool to do readings on them, not because I'm worried at all (I own uranium ore!) but just cause science!

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 01:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
As long as you don't try to eat the lens, or sleep with it under your pillow you should be fine...
I'd be more worried about the lens than myself if it were under my pillow
12-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Problem? It's a warming filter with no extra glass!I call that a feature.
I understand that benefit but I tend to want to point cameras at the night sky so I don't want anything that cuts down on the number of photons reaching the sensor.