Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to use Hoya UV filters on my lenses for protection until I had an interesting experience with one. I took a picture of my dog when she was backlit by the morning sun. Upon opening the picture on my computer, I noticed what looked like artifacts all around her head! When I looked at these at 100% I could clearly see that this was DUST!! I always keep my lenses clean, and went and checked this lens and it looked fine. No dust. Eventually I got the idea to take the lens off, open the aperture, and look through the back of the lens. What did I see? DUST!!! I continued looking while unscrewing the UV filter, and the dust moved with it so I knew it was on the filter. The outside was fine, so I cleaned the INSIDE, checked again, and DUST was still there!! No matter what I did there was always dust on the filter!! I got fed up and threw out my UV filters. I use only lens hoods for protection and polarizers for times when they are appropriate!! I NEVER use UV filters. They are just another place for dust to collect and something else to clean.

12-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I used to use Hoya UV filters on my lenses for protection until I had an interesting experience with one. I took a picture of my dog when she was backlit by the morning sun. Upon opening the picture on my computer, I noticed what looked like artifacts all around her head! When I looked at these at 100% I could clearly see that this was DUST!! I always keep my lenses clean, and went and checked this lens and it looked fine. No dust. Eventually I got the idea to take the lens off, open the aperture, and look through the back of the lens. What did I see? DUST!!! I continued looking while unscrewing the UV filter, and the dust moved with it so I knew it was on the filter. The outside was fine, so I cleaned the INSIDE, checked again, and DUST was still there!! No matter what I did there was always dust on the filter!! I got fed up and threw out my UV filters. I use only lens hoods for protection and polarizers for times when they are appropriate!! I NEVER use UV filters. They are just another place for dust to collect and something else to clean.
The nano coated Pentax lenses “super protect” are really good at shedding dust. Some filters are similarly coated. However I see your point.
12-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

when first started using digital (and that was about 2years ago, after about 13/14 years away from photography), i bought "UV filters" to attach to lenses, more for "protection" than anything else.

About a year ago, i removed UV filters when using digital bodies (with film cams, i left the UV filters on).

Reason being, when i first used a big zoom, i was exasperated by why the images all came up just that bit short (for whatever reason, the images simply couldn't be sharp, even at f7.1 / f8.0).

So, i removed the filter, just to see if things might improve.

Improve it did, and it was perceptible difference.
Without the filter, images came up much better.

With film, i left them on as could not see any difference between having them UV filters on or removed.

Thus, since then, have not put any UV filter or "clear protection filter".
12-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
when first started using digital (and that was about 2years ago, after about 13/14 years away from photography), i bought "UV filters" to attach to lenses, more for "protection" than anything else.

About a year ago, i removed UV filters when using digital bodies (with film cams, i left the UV filters on).

Reason being, when i first used a big zoom, i was exasperated by why the images all came up just that bit short (for whatever reason, the images simply couldn't be sharp, even at f7.1 / f8.0).

So, i removed the filter, just to see if things might improve.

Improve it did, and it was perceptible difference.
Without the filter, images came up much better.

With film, i left them on as could not see any difference between having them UV filters on or removed.

Thus, since then, have not put any UV filter or "clear protection filter".
So you were using second-rate filters. There have been several reports (and examples) of this, on this forum, over the years. Regrettably, most filter brands fall into this category, to varying degrees.

I repeat - use one of the brands I've mentioned, or you will be disappointed. All filters are very much not equal!

Here's an example of what happens with bad filters:

Lens Rentals | Blog

Even their "good" filter stack will have included several indifferent brands. Use one of the best brands (Hoya, Marumi, B+W) and even the most ardent pixel-peepers will be very hard pressed indeed to spot any degradation.

12-09-2020, 12:58 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
So you were using second-rate filters. There have been several reports (and examples) of this, on this forum, over the years. Regrettably, most filter brands fall into this category, to varying degrees.

I repeat - use one of the brands I've mentioned, or you will be disappointed. All filters are very much not equal!

Here's an example of what happens with bad filters:

Lens Rentals | Blog

Even their "good" filter stack will have included several indifferent brands. Use one of the best brands (Hoya, Marumi, B+W) and even the most ardent pixel-peepers will be very hard pressed indeed to spot any degradation.

i may not spend big bucks on UV filters (and in anycase, "big bucks UV filters" may not necessarily mean "better results"), but i don't necessarily go for "cheapo" UV filters either (and in anycase, "cheapo" or "cheaper" UV filters may not necessarily mean "cheapo" or "cheaper" results, and not to mention, what is "cheaper" or "more expensive" etc? A certain price for certain filters may be "expensive" to me but could well be "not that expensive" to others).

Have used different filters before, including Marumi, B+W, Sigma DG, Hoya HMC UV, Kenko.

But, with some of the lenses, do see a difference between having UV filter on and filter off.
And decided won't use UV filter anymore.
What is my experience, may not be what others experience.

But, interestingly.
There was a lens in which i switched the rear drop-in filter.
Bought the lens preowned, it came with a certain brand of filter (wont go into what it is but it definitely aint a "cheaper" or "cheap" brand).

I switched that filter to a (relatively speaking) rather cheap UV filter (a Hoya HMC) and i got better results and left the filter in there.
(I switch becuz saw the filter in there had some surface scratches).
12-09-2020, 02:59 AM   #36
dlhawes

I recently read an elaborate analysis of, I guess, all major brands and models within brands, of UV filters. Its conclusion was that B+W and Breakthrough caused the least degradation of image quality.
12-09-2020, 03:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote

...There was a lens in which i switched the rear drop-in filter.
Bought the lens preowned, it came with a certain brand of filter (wont go into what it is but it definitely aint a "cheaper" or "cheap" brand).

I switched that filter to a (relatively speaking) rather cheap UV filter (a Hoya HMC) and i got better results and left the filter in there.
(I switch becuz saw the filter in there had some surface scratches).
Yes, I wasn't suggesting price was a guarantee or otherwise of quality - which is why mentioned 3 brands by name (two of which I've had personal experience, the other "web experience"). There are certain fairly respected names which seemingly don't live up to expectations. Counterfeiting may be at play as well...

12-09-2020, 03:33 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah. Fake ones.

Seems on ebay quite a number of supposedly B+W filters thatnare dubious as the prices are unbelievably low.

I be testing a few lenses in coming few weekends.

Probably will also test attaching and detaching filter and see if there be perceptible difference, especially the ones that use rear drop-in filter.

Those that are attached on front, think i pretty much have "blanket decided" that there isnt much point to attach UV / protection filter.
12-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
There are certain fairly respected names which seemingly don't live up to expectations. Counterfeiting may be at play as well...
It doesn't even have to be 'fakes', most brands have various levels of quality / price. Hoya makes some top notch filters but they also have lines that sell for far less. So just saying "Hoya" can be misleading. Particularly if you are looking at the used market and there is no easy way to tell when the filter was made.

Good, Better, Best applies but below "good" there is often also "dime store promotional trash". All with the same name on them. A bit of research into the various product lines of a manufacturer usually explains which one is best for your budget / performance needs.
12-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

After trying many various brands. I'm going to be sticking with Breakthrough Photography. They make the best filters. Nobody beats their 25 year warranty either.