Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be fine, the fungus is way inside the lens.
Clean the outside as good as you can and then do not think too much about it.
I keep my lenses with silicagel to keep them dry
a trick I learned is to about once a year put the silica gel puches in the oven at 85-90 C for 1 hour or so

QuoteOriginally posted by hahifuheho Quote
Do you think it is safe to keep using the lens as long as I store it isolated from the other lenses and/or make sure I keep them in a dry place?

11-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hahifuheho Quote
Do you think it is safe to keep using the lens as long as I store it isolated from the other lenses and/or make sure I keep them in a dry place?
Put that thing out in the sun for several hours if you are going to keep it. That way you will at least kill it and stop additional spread inside the lens. I wouldn't keep it around my other lens either . . . spores.
11-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yiiiiikes!

I have just seen the interior of the lens agains sunlight (thank you, macro P&S)...

Name:  IMG_2729-1.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2730-1.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2731-1.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2733-1.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  33.7 KB

Fungus/dust is everywhere!!!
11-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That really looks too bad....

Neat images by the way. Well done; I know how hard it is to shoot through a lens...

12-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Forum Member

Give it a clean

Hi,

I know this threads a little old now but I've had the same problem with my SMC M 50mm f1.7 . Its been away in the cupboard for a bit since I went digital and to Canon.

Anyhow I still love the ME Super and 50mm. I figured I had nothing to loose so I opened it up and was able to clean most of the lens elements.
I opened the lens from the front by carefully turning the ring on the outer edge of the front element. Theres a plastic ring between the element and the filter threads that will screw out too.

If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude it should be pretty easy to open it up and clean the front elements at least. Theres a few tiny screw inside to remove and be careful when to get down to the apperture blades I had them all fall out on me but luckily it wasn't to hard to get them back together.

I'm not to sure what the internal differences are between the A and M models of this lens. The only element the I wasn't able to clean were the interior of rear ones as they are in a group thats kind of joined together with a plastic collar. It has screw collars so it must be openable, mine didn't give with moderate force and I was a bit hestitant to go to hard and break the plastic.

So anyhow if you are going to keep the lens you've probably got nothing to loose. I got rid of the fungus and dust out of mine. And apart from a few specks in the rear elements and a little hazing around the outsides which I'm hoping will be fixed buy leaving it in the sun for a bit its pretty clean.

anyhow good luck
mike
12-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I spoke to soon. I didn't see the real bad shots.

Dave
12-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it be cool if you could send some sort of "special fungus" to the BS artists that sell junk on ebay and call it gold. What was the seller's ID so we can all stay away from him. I just received one of those "like new " items that was held together with glue. It seems like ebay is getting worse lately . But to answer your question that stuff there be FUNGUS!!!