Loyal Site Supporter

Hoping for a replacement that’s better while still being less than $10K

Last edited by mstahulak; 05-21-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Grammar;-\
05-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #152
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Such max. aperture is the privilege of electronic viewfinders. An optical TTL viewfinder would render a very dark image with such lenses (just try with any lens stopped down to f/8 or f/11 with the depth-of-field test button). Not to speak of the autofocus performance...
That is why I suggested f8, but either f6.3 or f7.2 max aperture would also help keep costs down.
05-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
The SDM in the modern lenses is not the same SDM as the "sudden death motor" from the DA* 16-50 and such.

The latter is a micromotor. The new SDM is a ring motor. Rebranded Tamron lenses are also called "SDM", when they clearly have Tamron's USD technology.

Why did Pentax reuse the name for different kind of AF motors, is a mystery.
Hope that some people understood I was making fun of SDM, but I guess you understood that it is a bit odd to use the term SDM. I do not think it is a smart move to call the new motors SDM as it is a name that has a stigma attached to it of being not reliable. Most people here are happy with the PLM and DC motors. They are different from old SDM and they should have done so with the new SDM's as well just to emphasize that it is whole new better constructed motor for these heavy lenses.
05-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I would love if Pentax did with the DA 560 what it did with the K-1II. It could provide an upgrade for those users of the DA 560 that would like to have a better-faster lens motor and make the focus limiter a classic one maybe too with 3 positions. I would definitely make the upgrade, because optically the lens is superb (despite the CAs that are a problem under certain circumstances).

I also believe that a DFA*300/2.8 is at Pentax schedules although I don't know when could it be released (I hope it is a parallel project to the known-expected lenses). Personally I would prefer something longer with great performance even with 1.4 and 2.0X TCs.
If they offered an upgrade to the DA 560, it would mean the new one was basically the same as the old one in terms of mechanics and optics. That's probably not optimal...
And every upgrade they sold would mean a lens they didn't sell...

That said, if the lens is discontinued because of a coming HD DFA 560, as a light upgrade similar to the 35mm f2.0 and the Limiteds, that would make some sense, especially if that was basically the only way to continue making them... and that might basically just be a matter of new rubber grips and some small changes to the carcass...

While an upgrade to the AF system would be awesome, that gets a lot more expensive.

-Eric

05-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Hope that some people understood I was making fun of SDM
We cannot read minds.

I guess you understood that it is a bit odd to use the term SDM. I do not think it is a smart move to call the new motors SDM as it is a name that has a stigma attached to it
because people keep making fun of it?

That "stigma" almost died out, and it was only about the very first such lenses.
Perhaps "SDM II" would've been better from that point of view, but I simply don't care. I know the difference.
05-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
if the lens is discontinued because of a coming HD DFA 560, as a light upgrade similar to the 35mm f2.0 and the Limiteds, that would make some sense
The FA 35mm f2.0 has been updated after 20 years.
The DA560 is just 9 years old and offers aready new finish, HD coating, QS, new motor and AW. So with no features to the 35mm f2.0 as upgrade possible, it wouldn't make sense.
05-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I believe the excitement is more about what this lens could/should have been.
or what some people wish sales were.

05-22-2021, 04:20 AM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The FA 35mm f2.0 has been updated after 20 years.
The DA560 is just 9 years old and offers aready new finish, HD coating, QS, new motor and AW. So with no features to the 35mm f2.0 as upgrade possible, it wouldn't make sense.
The 560 was a desperate try to show the world a serious looking lens by Pentax with long focal length. The two piece prototype design was dropped, making it too long. The design was cheap, resulting in closest focus distance of 5,6m and chromatic aberration. The lens covers APSC not FF. It did its job over 9 years, but prices for used FA* tele glass went up…
The 35mm is a less expensive offering next to the 31ltd. An inexpensive left over from FA days that still sold well, particularly with K1. It probably required an upgrade to show activity or because some parts were not available anymore.
Pentax has not released a serious fixed focal length tele lens for many years. Only remakes, nothing special, nothing new. We don’t even have FF compatible TCs. Something should be in the pipeline, something you do not put on the roadmap as not to stop sales of existing glass.
05-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you serious? Do they still have SDM motors in their state of the art lenses?
SDM has never been a single motor. The motors differ between the DA * lenses (obviously you wouldn't have the same motor in the DA *300 as the DA *55). Beyond which the DFA 24-70 and 15-30 are both listed as having "SDM" lenses when of course, we know that they are Tamron made and designed.

I wouldn't put too much focus on the name. The failure rates differed greatly between the lenses with SDM in them.
05-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #160
Veteran Member

If Pentax is positioning themselves to be the "dslr " People then it would make sense to expand offerings in the longer telephoto lengths or they risk losing potential customers which with a shrinking customer base they really would not want to do. On the other hand it makes little financial sense to sink dollars into development and production of what many consider specialty or special interest lens. Honestly the smartest option I can see is to collaborate with a 3rd party mfg like Tamron or Sigma. These companies both have the capability to build very high quality lenses. Financially it could be a win for both companies and help Pentax meet an unmet need without huge financial exposure.

Ah well Im not in the heads of Ricoh execs...but I would be looking at all angles real close...which I am sure they will do.
Al
05-22-2021, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The lens covers APSC not FF.
This is not true. The DA560 is on the lens roadmap for both APS-C and FF and is officially designated as being fully supported on both systems, much like the DA*200 and DA*300.
05-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #162
Veteran Member

At some point a longer focal and at some speed I believe the coverage will be large enough for FF even when designed for apsc. This is based upon the physical measurements required. The da 200 and da 400 would have been FDA if the K1 existed at the time.

There are some da lenses where they added baffles to the da lens. If those are removed the image circle is large enough for the FF
05-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
This is not true. The DA560 is on the lens roadmap for both APS-C and FF and is officially designated as being fully supported on both systems, much like the DA*200 and DA*300.
Very true!

QuoteQuote:
Designed for APS-C but officially full-frame compatible per Ricoh. The Pentax K-1 includes full-frame correction profiles for this lens.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-560mm-f5.6.html
05-22-2021, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The 560 was a desperate try to show the world a serious looking lens by Pentax with long focal length. The two piece prototype design was dropped, making it too long. The design was cheap, resulting in closest focus distance of 5,6m and chromatic aberration. The lens covers APSC not FF. It did its job over 9 years, but prices for used FA* tele glass went up…
The 35mm is a less expensive offering next to the 31ltd. An inexpensive left over from FA days that still sold well, particularly with K1. It probably required an upgrade to show activity or because some parts were not available anymore.
Pentax has not released a serious fixed focal length tele lens for many years. Only remakes, nothing special, nothing new. We don’t even have FF compatible TCs. Something should be in the pipeline, something you do not put on the roadmap as not to stop sales of existing glass.
9 years is likely to be how long it took to sell the initial production run. A lot of development was put into the excellent DFA 150-450, which was introduced at the end of 2015. The probability of a replacement for the DA 560 or a new prime within the focal length range of a DFA 150-450/teleconvertor combination is rapidly approaching zero.

Ricoh has been and is continuing to address the market for long telephoto shooters. They have continued to put resources into their APS-C lineup which by default extends the reach of telephoto lenses by 50% (without adding weight or an aperture penalty). The improvided AF in the K-3iii is driven (in part, at least) by a desire to improve BIF tracking. Seriously, what advantage does a FF camera with a 600mm prime have over a K-3iii and the DFA 150-450 for photographing wildlife? Put the DA 1.4 teleconvertor on the K-3iii and the DFA 150-450 is the equivalent of a 315-945mm f6.3 FF zoom. Finally, how many Canon and Nikon wildlife photographers are going to ditch the $30,000+ they have invested in their current system and start out fresh with Pentax because Ricoh decides to release a new 600mm prime in this ghastly market for new photographic equipment? Good luck convincing Ricoh management of the positive return on investment for such a product.
05-22-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
9 years is likely to be how long it took to sell the initial production run. A lot of development was put into the excellent DFA 150-450, which was introduced at the end of 2015. The probability of a replacement for the DA 560 or a new prime within the focal length range of a DFA 150-450/teleconvertor combination is rapidly approaching zero.

Ricoh has been and is continuing to address the market for long telephoto shooters. They have continued to put resources into their APS-C lineup which by default extends the reach of telephoto lenses by 50% (without adding weight or an aperture penalty). The improvided AF in the K-3iii is driven (in part, at least) by a desire to improve BIF tracking. Seriously, what advantage does a FF camera with a 600mm prime have over a K-3iii and the DFA 150-450 for photographing wildlife? Put the DA 1.4 teleconvertor on the K-3iii and the DFA 150-450 is the equivalent of a 315-945mm f6.3 FF zoom. Finally, how many Canon and Nikon wildlife photographers are going to ditch the $30,000+ they have invested in their current system and start out fresh with Pentax because Ricoh decides to release a new 600mm prime in this ghastly market for new photographic equipment? Good luck convincing Ricoh management of the positive return on investment for such a product.
I can think of a very long list of advantages that a FF 600mm f4 lens has over the DFA150-450 with a 1.4tc on a crop body..