Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what monopods are for, Eyespywithmyi! I have a carbon one.
SO do I, it doubles as a walking stick.

12-09-2020, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
when i first got the 560 in july i spent quite a bit of time experimenting. the first thing i did was get a 168mm lens plate so i could mount it at the center of balance when attached to my K1. the balance point is about 50 mm behind the last tripod screw hole on the built in lens mount.

then i looked at how to carry it, when out hiking and at present my hikes are typically 5-8 km and 1.5 - 2.5 hours. I carry the lens with an extra long padded optek strap, over the opposite shoulder (i.e. neck and shoulder cross body) The strap hooks on the lens are too far back, and the lens tips forward, but it only takes light effort by either hand to hold the lens level in addition to the strap. and with the right length strap, this is achieved with only a slight elbow bend of the arm. it is quite comfortable for hours at a time

shooting, and this is where there is a trick, to hold the lens, i rotate the tripod mount to about the 11:00 position (with respect to you being behind the camera and lens i.e. holding the lens to your eye) and put my hand between the tripod foot and the lens body, with my thumb around the leg of the tripod mount (sort of wearing it like a baseball glove if that makes sense to you) the impact is that you are not actually holding the weight of the lens with your grip, but the weight is transferred from the tripod foot directly to the back of your wrist, and into your arm, your grip is used only around the leg of the tripod foot and over the top of the lens barrel, to hold your hand in place

in that way, it is comfortable to hold the lens to my eye for a very long time (i.e. several minutes for sure, as i walk along and spot things to shoot) having spent the time to figure out the tripod mount at the beginning, i have never actually used it again, i shoot exclusively hand held with the 560.

I do not claim to be super man, or even exceptionally fit or strong, and am within a few years of normal retirement so this is not a boast of the young and foolish. hand holding the 560 as i have described is . at least for me, quite simple. even considering it is about double the weight of my sigma APO 70-200/2.8 and 2X TC which would be similar in weight to the 150-450/5.6
I love everything about this reply. I've actually done this with the 150-450, rotating the tripod mount and slipping my hand under it. Might be time to rent the beast for a few weeks and see if I can make it work. Christmas bonus time is close...

---------- Post added 12-09-20 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what monopods are for, Eyespywithmyi! I have a carbon one.
I'm not into them. I have one and I bring it with me but I never use it. It's inconvenient for me as I am almost always crawling under brush and between trees. Also my current ball head mount sucks and doesn't hold up my lens so I'd have to invest in a really good head just to find out that I... don't want to carry around a monopod
12-09-2020, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyespywithmyi Quote
. . . Might be time to rent the beast for a few weeks and see if I can make it work. Christmas bonus time is close..
did some one mention renting equipment ?

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

LensRental coupon I got in an email:

QuoteQuote:

Good On Gear All Year!
Get $25 off orders of $100+

Use code SRYZXUVND6FW

RENT NOW

Expires 12.31.20 | Single-Use
I have no connection with LensRental other than being a satisfied customer
12-09-2020, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My question is how vintage do you want to go and what quality would you accept? On the ultra cheap end there is the Tele-Astranar 400mm f/6.3 preset in M42 mount (T to M42 adapter). I have one and they can be had all day in good shape for $20-$30 but they aren't what I would call a great lens but surprisingly good for $30 (the cost matters). I should probably post mine for sale in the market place as I will never run that lens again as it was supplanted by a much better 400.

12-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #35

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the posts and suggestions, it will take some time to research all the options. It is really helpful to read all the different ideas and experiences people have had. Cheers.
12-09-2020, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As has been mentioned previously, the SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6:

And theTamron Adaptall-2 SP 200-500mm F5.6 (31A):

Both lenses could be found, last time I checked, in the $300-ish range.
12-09-2020, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm another vote for just using the 55-300mm and crop. Just figure out its limitations for you and stay in that range. Unless you are willing to spend $2,000+ you won't improve anything over what you have.

12-09-2020, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Tokina 400mm can sometimes be had for about $400. Big lenses generally = Big $.
12-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I'm another vote for just using the 55-300mm and crop. Just figure out its limitations for you and stay in that range. Unless you are willing to spend $2,000+ you won't improve anything over what you have.
Will be testing this out soon, thank you.
12-09-2020, 07:06 PM - 5 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ho_agie Quote
Thanks to all for the posts and suggestions, it will take some time to research all the options. It is really helpful to read all the different ideas and experiences people have had. Cheers.
You really don't think we'll stop just because you've heard enough do you? It's not about you anymore. It's like a math equation, we have to find the perfect solution, just because it's there.
12-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You really don't think we'll stop just because you've heard enough do you? It's not about you anymore. It's like a math equation, we have to find the perfect solution, just because it's there.
LOL, keep it coming.
12-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went through a similar search recently. I purchased the Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM used but found the autofocus was defective and was able to return it. I also found the lens quite heavy. I ended up with the Sigma 170-500mm F5.6-6.3 APO DG. It's about a pound lighter than the 150-500mm and according to reviews is fairly sharp, which I can attest to, though I haven't really had a chance to get out and give it a thorough test. If you are patient, you might find one for $600. Around the same time I bought the Pentax DA* 300mm F4 prime lens from another forum member along with the Pentax 1.4 TC while it was on sale. That combo doesn't have as quite as much reach, but the resulting photos are noticeably sharper.

I have used the 1.4x TC with the Pentax 55-300mm PLM and the IQ is good, but at 300mm, your maximum aperture is F9.5. You can compensate somewhat using higher ISO settings, but the combo does have trouble focusing in lower light due to the aperture.
12-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
I went through a similar search recently. I purchased the Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM used but found the autofocus was defective and was able to return it. I also found the lens quite heavy. I ended up with the Sigma 170-500mm F5.6-6.3 APO DG. It's about a pound lighter than the 150-500mm and according to reviews is fairly sharp, which I can attest to, though I haven't really had a chance to get out and give it a thorough test. If you are patient, you might find one for $600. Around the same time I bought the Pentax DA* 300mm F4 prime lens from another forum member along with the Pentax 1.4 TC while it was on sale. That combo doesn't have as quite as much reach, but the resulting photos are noticeably sharper.

I have used the 1.4x TC with the Pentax 55-300mm PLM and the IQ is good, but at 300mm, your maximum aperture is F9.5. You can compensate somewhat using higher ISO settings, but the combo does have trouble focusing in lower light due to the aperture.
Thank you
12-09-2020, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
speak of the devil -

QuoteQuote:
For Sale: Tokina 400mm f5.6 ATX AF
Tokina 400mm f5.6 ATX AF - PentaxForums.com

what are the odds ?
It is a good thing I have spent my lens money for the year, otherwise I would be tempted to snatch it up.

Steve

(...don't generally shoot long, but there is always room to add something new...)
12-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would have to disagree with that. For about $600 he could have a used DA* 300 F/4, it wouldn't give more reach but definitely would provide photos with more cropping potential. It seems like you are saying the DA* 300 F/4 wouldn't be any better than the DA 55-300? I have the DA 55-300 and it is ok and you need to be at F/8 to F/11 to get the best from it at 300mm. The 4 stops of light is the difference between shooting at ISO 3200 and shooting at ISO 200.