Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art vs. SMCP-FA 43mm

Any used both lenses and the Sigma dock? Currently using a K3 II but dream of full frame one day...

Reviews indicate the Sigma might be slightly better and obviously f/1.4 lets in a little more light than f/1.9 (assuming coatings pass the same amount of light). So here's my current thinking:

1. Since I found them for nearly the same price (35mm is refurbished by Sigma), that's not a factor.
2. If the Sigma is slightly better optically, then maybe that's the better deal.
3. All things being equal, I'd rather support Pentax.
4. I read the Sigma is a portrait lens and is slow to focus. Well, fast for portraits but possibly slow for action? I don't shoot portraits as I prefer landscapes, flowers, animals, etc. so faster focus may be a better choice especially for pets.

With all of that, I'd probably get the Pentax lens. But...

5. Sigma has a dock to update and adjust focus.

Cool. But does it matter? How often do lenses need a firmware update? Does Sigma release updates which actually improve the lens? Sure, I can adjust focus but wouldn't it be easier to adjust the camera's offset (instead of a test shot, remove lens & mount on dock, load software on computer, apply adjustment, put back on camera, test focus, and repeat if necessary). Maybe that would matter if I exceeded the limit of my camera's lens memory. And once I get a second body, what's the chance the lens would focus exactly the same on different bodies?

Still leaning towards Pentax but the dock sounds so cool if it doesn't end up in a drawer collecting dust. Maybe what I'm really asking is if the dock is truly useful or just a $59 gimmick to lure people like me to buy a special lens?

12-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately I don't have both so can't comment on the comparison. However, the two lenses are also very differnt, and I'm wondering if you have any concerns about the weight / size factor? That would one of the deciding factors for me. Also perhaps helpful to note, lots of K-1 or FF owners really enjoy the 43mm focal length on that format!
12-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Unfortunately I don't have both so can't comment on the comparison. However, the two lenses are also very differnt, and I'm wondering if you have any concerns about the weight / size factor? That would one of the deciding factors for me. Also perhaps helpful to note, lots of K-1 or FF owners really enjoy the 43mm focal length on that format!
Very different? In ways other than size?

The DA* 24-70mm is what stays on my camera most of the time. If I shoot basketball this year (spare hands for the TV crew - closed to the public due to COVID), I'll be lugging the 24-70 with extended grip. Prior to that lend, I was using a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 which was a beast to hand hold through two college games. Due to that, I doubt the Sigma's weight would bother me any at all. However, my last outing was with my DA 40mm Limited so I do appreciate weight savings when possible.
12-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the FA43 for awhile.... and sold it in favor of the DA 40 Limited... I'm not shooting FF and have no intention of going there in the future...

so the DA is a better lens for the way I shoot, now and in the future...

12-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I rented the Sigma one week, it was nice if I shot with that small a focal length more I would've bought it.

I've seen several forum topics related to the Sigma roulette when it comes to having to make AF adjustments. Some get copies that are great out of the box and others get headaches making adjustments one way then needing to go back the other so the dock I don't think is a gimmick.
12-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I've seen several forum topics related to the Sigma roulette when it comes to having to make AF adjustments. Some get copies that are great out of the box and others get headaches making adjustments one way then needing to go back the other so the dock I don't think is a gimmick.
And that's my other hesitation with Sigma. The only defective lens I've bought was a Sigma. Auto-focus would never get it right on the first try. Even on a tripod, it was 2-3 attempts to get good focus. They fixed it under warranty but it shouldn't have left the factory that way. I'd rather not buy a lens which a dock is essentially required to get (and keep) good focus...
12-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the Sigma one day while out shooting with a friend who owned one. It seemed like a great lens, but like most lenses, I thought it would some time to learn its characteristics and how to best utilize it.

12-10-2020, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I read the Sigma is a portrait lens and is slow to focus.
The Sigma is a moderate wide angle on FF and a "normal" on APS-C, meaning you can do portraits on APS-C, but probably best limited to environmental portraits on FF. (The concern is avoiding perspective distortion on FF.) As for AF speed, the PF detailed review found it to be silent and fast:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sigma-35mm-f14-art/autofocus.html

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
How often do lenses need a firmware update? Does Sigma release updates which actually improve the lens?
Those are two very good questions. A lot depends on the mount. Perhaps this page on Sigma's Web site will be helpful. The link for the 35/1.4 Art is a little more than halfway down under DG lenses.

Firmware | Lenses | Download | SIGMA Corporation

Steve

(...in my opinion, comparing to the FA 43/1.9 Limited is an apples and oranges comparison...but what do I know, I shoot the FA 35/2...)
12-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As far as AF, lenses tend to be different from one to another even in the same brand. I don't have that Art lens, although other Sigma lenses do own seem fine for AF. I do own the FA 43mm Ltd. On a FF body, I like this lens far more than on APS-C where the FL is less versatile for my uses. Same is true for my FA 35mm f/2,although being a "normal" FOV for APS-C. So, for my uses, the 35mm is more versatile between the two formats, but even better on FF. I bought both years ago for use with my film bodies, and have found I've been using either of these lenses far less on APS-C.

Although very satisfied with my APS-C cameras, now the KP being my main body, I finally recently got a K-1 II as well. Now those those two lenses have regained their former attraction for me! As another alternative to the Sigma Art lens, if you don't really need the one stop extra from f/1.4 (and I'm not sure of its quality at that wide aperture either though sample images look good), you might consider getting the Pentax FA HD 35mm f/2, which is of high quality imaging, even wide open. Good as a "normal" lens on APS-C, and I do like it a lot on my K-1 II as a fast moderate wide angle, on which its lighter weight tends to offset the extra weight of the camera.

As yet another alternative, (I'm not sure of the price of the Sigma Art lens) you might consider the Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Ltd. It is even more versatile in FL for APS-C, (near as much so as the FA 43mm Ltd on FF), is smaller and lighter than the Sigma, and provides excellent imaging even wide open.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-10-2020 at 07:55 PM.
12-10-2020, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I had the FA43 for awhile.... and sold it in favor of the DA 40 Limited... I'm not shooting FF and have no intention of going there in the future...

so the DA is a better lens for the way I shoot, now and in the future...
I went the other way, and I think I sold you my 40mm Limited if I recall correctly. The FA43 is a goofy lens, and it has a unique character, and I loved it more than the precise nature of the 40.
12-10-2020, 09:12 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Had the sigma art 35mm for a little while. VERY sharp. No aberrations that I've seen yet. A little heavy combined with my K1mII. Haven't put it on the dock yet. No need. I love it.
12-11-2020, 01:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had both but had to part with the Sigma 35mm. I made the call that the FA 43mm is more versatile and its IQ is up there with the Sigma 35mm Art.

IMHO 43mm is a great focal length on the K1, whereas 35mm is a bit on the wide side.
12-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me it would not be a descision between 35 mm and 43 mm. I would like to have a 35 mm on APS-C as well as a short tele, preferable a 50 mm but the 43 mm would be excellent option too.

I bought the 35/1.4 Sigma last november as an APS-C equivalent of an 50/2.0 for my K-70. It is an very special lens. Although very sharp in the middle, often lacking contrast and to be stoped down to 4.0 to get good sharpness across the frame. It is an excellent lens, yes. It is very fast, yes. But you have to know its flaws and strengthes to get best results. In practice I can fully support the test opticallimits did with this lens on the Nikon APS-C. Link below. Astonishingly the 35/1.4 seems to perform much better on fullframe, see second link.

If one does not need the shallow DOF (which was my main target) I would fully hearted recommend the Pentax 35mm/2.0 HD over the Sigma 35/1.4. It has very good performance over the full frame from wide open, i.e. on 2.0 to 2.8 it performs better then the Sigma, it is much lighter and compared to its performance dirt cheap. In favour for the Sigma are DOF (just one stop!), built quality and silent AF. AF speed on the Sigma is in my opinon not much faster then on my shaft driven lenses.

Sigma AF 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A ("Art") (Nikon DX) - Review / Test Report

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM DG ART ( Nikon FX ) - Review / Test

Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The Sigma dock did not influence my decision. If the Sigma would not have had focus on the spot I would have returned it. For reliable focus using the center spot only is mandatory on the K-70.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 12-11-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Addition concerning Sigma dock
12-11-2020, 03:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Limited has pixie dust inside
12-11-2020, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Focal lenghts are different enough to be the deciding factor (IMHO).