Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

An other telelens comparison : Pentax vs. Takumar vs. Tamron

I was not exactly expecting this :
- Tamron is better than I had in mind (I had one in the past)... but to focus with it is like sitting on a cactus, the focusing ring is too much reactive.
- The Takumar 400/4 is better than the 500/4.5, this does meet my feeling.... but I was waiting is at a better general level.
- I am still having trouble to do a 100% good focus, I need to develop something to do it more acurately.

12-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
- I am still having trouble to do a 100% good focus, I need to develop something to do it more acurately.
That is why I have a target fore and aft of the main target. If they are both equally blurred then you have nailed it.
12-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back and forth focusing is the historically recommended way to manually focus. It is just time consuming and difficult with moving objects.
12-15-2020, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
That is why I have a target fore and aft of the main target. If they are both equally blurred then you have nailed it.
I'll use a better way (to my opinion) : a sort of ruler at 45°. No need to compare front and rear caps, juste to see where the focus is

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Back and forth focusing is the historically recommended way to manually focus. It is just time consuming and difficult with moving objects.
This is what I always do but with a thin DOF and some lenses having not extremely precise focusing ring, this is tricky to achieve the right focus, especially in lieview x10 on a 300-400mm.

I will do an other test because I want to see how the Tamron handles with a 2X converter.

12-16-2020, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice job, just like your last one

GUB
Technically not equally blurred, if they are at the same distance. If the back one is (roughly) two times further than the closest one, then yes

pentaxus
Yup, been there, done that
12-16-2020, 02:33 AM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I'll use a better way (to my opinion) : a sort of ruler at 45°. No need to compare front and rear caps, juste to see where the focus is
Yep that is the best way.
I use the caps @ 100x the focal length away as a standardised approach. Anyone with those caps can replicate the comparison if they want.
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
GUB
Technically not equally blurred, if they are at the same distance. If the back one is (roughly) two times further than the closest one, then yes
Yeah naaa I mean it as a rough and ready indicator. I have them about 400 - 500 away from the centre one.
12-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate your time and effort. Thanks for sharing.

12-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron 60B works well with the Pentax-F SMC 1.7x AF adapter. Very fast and accurate auto focus as a 510mm f5.6.