Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I do not understand...dust inside a WR lens?

How is it possible to have dust in AW or WR lens, as they are supposed to be waterproof ?

Thank you for your incoming answers.

12-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's possible. On many lenses, small dust can get sucked in while zooming, and it can also enter the lens when it's off camera.

These lenses aren't waterproof, just water-resistant in the sense that surface moisture shouldn't be able to break through the seals.

AW lenses are also sealed against dust/sand ingress while in use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Dust-resistant, Weather-resistant ConstructionDust-resistant, Weather-resistant ConstructionWeather-resistant Construction
PENTAX's SLR cameras are resistant to the adverse conditions of outdoor photography and can be used even under severe environmental conditions. To enable use with these cameras, the paired lenses must also have exceptional dust-resistant and weather-resistant performance. For this reason, PENTAX has developed dust-resistant and weather-resistant lenses that have been sealed for preventing the entry of water and dust. Some lenses also have an enhanced weather-resistant construction that can protect against the splashing of rainwater. We plan to overcome issues such as lens structures that require air removal due to the lens length or lens operation comfort for providing not only high-performance lenses, but lenses that can be used for a wider range of applications by enhancing the basic specifications of PENTAX interchangeable lenses.
PENTAX Lens Technology / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

note the use of the term " resistant " as opposed to " proof "
12-17-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First, the lens is not sealed whenever it's off the camera. Dust can enter the back of the lens during lens changing or while sitting in a bag.

Second, if the lens changes length during zooming or focusing, simple physics means that air will be sucked into the lens or expelled. Although AW/WR seals impede the entry of water and dust, they can't resist top high an air pressure differential. Pumping the zoom on some AW/WR lenses will suck dust into the lens.

Finally, it's worth noting that these cameras and lenses are not "waterproof." At best, they are "weather resistant" which means they are less likely to be damaged by weather, but they are not impregnable.

12-17-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Finally, it's worth noting that these cameras and lenses are not "waterproof." At best, they are "weather resistant" which means they are less likely to be damaged by weather, but they are not impregnable.
^^^+1
12-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your answers, Adam, Aslyfox,Photoptimist Michail_P!
12-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, it's possible. On many lenses, small dust can get sucked in while zooming, and it can also enter the lens when it's off camera.
Adam - is it also possible for it to get in when focusing especially for lenses with large focus throws? I'm specifically thinking about my m42 Vivitar 90/2.8 macro that has a focus throw of 900 degrees. My copy has something inside that doesn't look like fungus, but (embarrassing to say) looks like a bit of dandruff

12-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Adam - is it also possible for it to get in when focusing especially for lenses with large focus throws? I'm specifically thinking about my m42 Vivitar 90/2.8 macro that has a focus throw of 900 degrees. My copy has something inside that doesn't look like fungus, but (embarrassing to say) looks like a bit of dandruff
Your M42 lens will have in it it: dust ; dead skin cells; fungus spores; possibly deal insects.......just like any other lens....WR or not.
12-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Yes, that's definitely possible. With WR lenses it's less of an issue because most, if not all, focus internally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

A camera lens will always suck air from the camera body and/or the front of the lens, to compensate for the extension of the volume, that's why IF and IZ lenses are so much sought after, and therefore expensive.
12-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If it is just a little bit of dust I wouldn't worry about it. No lens is perfect and it probably won't affect the IQ anyway. Just keep shooting and check to see it is not getting more dusty.
12-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the time there is some small amount of internal dust sealed inside a brand new lens straight from the factory that got in there during the manufacturing process.
12-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PapyCool Quote
How is it possible to have dust in AW or WR lens, as they are supposed to be waterproof ?
W stands for weather, not water. So AW is all weather and WR is weather resistant.

I suppose if the lens was air pressure sealed more like a prime with internal focus on a non-interchangeable camera and fixed, dust would only originate from the factory or an internal part.
12-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PapyCool Quote
They are not sealed on the camera side.
12-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't know if I'm right or is just me but I try to avoid changing lenses when I go for a shoot as I try to avoid dust going to the camera sensor and into the back of the lens. That's why I bring 2 cams when I shoot. One for the long end and the other for the short end.