Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lens is a tube of compromises. The more you put in one end of the tube the more bad thing squirt out the other end.

Cost is one of the compromises that are made with a lens. With the Limited lenses cost is given less importants over optical quality followed by build quality. That makes them cost more. They cost about 2 times as much as an upper middle quality lens. Is all the additional money going to just a better lens? Probably not, but definitely some of the money is. Is a limited lens worth 2 times as much, or to put it another way is it twice as good? How much something is worth depends on how important it is to you. As to is a limited 2 times as good, no. The things that are getting built now are so good that to get just 10 percent better it may cost 2 times more money. Is a $60,000 car 2 times better then a $30,000 car? People buy cars all the time like this. If someone has the money and appreciates the differents way not? The limited lenses are about as good as lenses get for consumer lenses. To get better you are talking special order, one of or scientific lab use.

This means that the limited lenses are not for everybody. Why drive a $60,000 car off road or on the farm? You may appreciate an expressive car if you drive one but if all you are doing is grocery shopping why pay that much. If you are really into driving you may get the car anyway. If you are really into photography and you use a limited lens you may sell you kidney to keep the lens anyway.

DAZ

11-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
Question....

If you look at pentax's page here - Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site - the first thing that grabs me is that the limited's seem tiny compared to all other prime's on the page.

Is it a requirement that a "limited" lens be physically small.. i.e. perhaps a stop or two slower than they could've possibly been produced at the same focal length etc?

I've also noticed they seem to have fewer elements/groups than other primes on their site.

All coincidence?
There are two Limited series available, the DA Limiteds, which are compact and of a simpler lens design. They are optimised to be compact and deliver high IQ at the expense of being not very fast and only useable on APS-C sensors.

The older FA Limited lenses are made for full-frame cameras, including film and are faster - and not anywhere as compact as the DA Limiteds. There are only three FA Limited lenses (31mm, 43mm, 77mm).

Ben
11-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Another way to look at the "Limited" lenses is that once you buy one, your cash flow will become "limited" for a while.

I've already got one and am expecting the second one to arrive on Tuesday.

My next lens purchase will most likely be the Sigma 105 macro, but after that, it may be time for another Limited.

Heather
11-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just buy one. Then you will know.

11-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Just buy one. Then you will know.
Word...
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Inactive Account

You don't even have to touch it...just look at it and smell it (taste optional). On top of that the all metal bodies will stand up to more wear, the IQ is top notch...and the bokeh is generally more pleasing (nicer transitions to in focus and OOF).

I like the analogy above about the 60G and 30G cars. Both will drive you around, but a discerning taste can make you really appreciate the limited's difference. Ultimately they are not for everyone.

c[_]
11-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what it is - but whenver the focal length is even close to being suitable for the situation my DA40 is on camera. I can't say anything bad about it, only that it's not the 43...

I seriously almost can't stand using anything else. But then again my lens arsenal isn't the greatest... It certainly is the highest quality lens in my small collection, all personal feelings aside.

11-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Put one on your camera, and report back.:-)

Dave
11-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, I was looking for an excuse to post this from the 31LTD I took this evening:-).

Do NOT buy one, the build quality and IQ will forever spoil you and you will go broke buying more Limited and * lenses.

Now, how do I come up with the money for that 77LTD, hmmmmmm.
11-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The image floodgates have opened.

43ltd

31ltd

11-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses. At this moment I'm waiting the arrival of a 50mm 1.4 Super Takumar from eBay (I expect this one to be fungus free, not with free fungus included as someone said ), would you say this lens' image quality would be similar to that of a limited?

After having decided to quarantine that SMC-A fast fifty, my best lens at the moment is again the 18-55 kit lens.
11-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hahifuheho Quote
... At this moment I'm waiting the arrival of a 50mm 1.4 Super Takumar from eBay ... would you say this lens' image quality would be similar to that of a limited?
Super Takumar = coating not as good, so be aware of flare issues.
Build quality: I would say at least as good.
Image quality: I really like it and you could have a look at a test carried out by Forum member Sean Carpenter - The normal shootout.

And don't forget the Takumar club - lots of pictures.

Oh, and the Lens review database might come in handy as well.
11-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Yep - I hate my 77 ltd...

c[_]
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I like others here, I have the understanding that only a limited number are made each day or week or whatever.

They would have us believe that they are built to a higher quality standard (of which I have no reason to doubt) as they do feel beautifully engineered in your hand.

The choice of materials used in their manufacture is also of a higher specification, i.e. metal over plastic as used in the cheaper counterparts.
11-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been starting to name my recent lens with nick names as they have special purpose in my gear.

I call my Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 my handsome boys as my boys are insanely handsome when their Dad took pictures with the "Handsome Boys" lens

Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited
nick name -- Handsome Boys

He can look better when he behaves

Even the fish looks more handsome

3D imagery when you play with Av

A bit off focus, unfortunately

Handsome Sea Slugs

I have not given my thoughts in my blog page about this limited lens. I only used it for the last weekend and my first impression -- it is insanely good

Last edited by hinman; 11-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.