Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 on Pentax?

I fancy a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. Indeed I do!

BUT it appears to be available only in Canon/Nikon mounts.

Yet people are obviously using this lens with Pentax bodies. How so?

I was on the understanding that Canon for Pentax is a no goer and similarly the Nikon mount is too similar to Pentax to make an adapter strong enough to do the job.

My first question is how have people mounted the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 to a Pentax body.

Second question, would it be possible to use one of the Leitax adapters with the Voigtlander?

Thanks

12-18-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question no. 1: The lens has been produced with Pentax mount, but availability of used lenses with this mount is very low and the prices for used lenses in K-mount are often significantly higher than with Canon or Nikon mount.
You probably have be quite patient and check the usual sites frequently (there is one on offer from a Japanese seller on the bay right now for more than USD 1900!).
Can't help you question no. 2
12-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, they were produced in K-mount for a time, but no longer - you'll be looking for a used lens...

I have one in K-mount and it is nothing short of amazing.....

I'm also lucky enough (crazy enough?) to have the Nokton's predecessor, the Auto-Topcor 58/1.4...

I do not know if a Leitax conversion is available for the lens - you'd have to email Leitax or wait for another PF member here...
12-18-2020, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Question no. 1: The lens has been produced with Pentax mount, but availability of used lenses with this mount is very low and the prices for used lenses in K-mount are often significantly higher than with Canon or Nikon mount.
You probably have be quite patient and check the usual sites frequently (there is one on offer from a Japanese seller on the bay right now for more than USD 1900!).
Can't help you question no. 2
Thanks. I didn't know about the Pentax mount but YIKES to Japanese seller!

---------- Post added 12-18-20 at 05:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
yes, they were produced in K-mount for a time, but no longer - you'll be looking for a used lens...

I have one in K-mount and it is nothing short of amazing.....

I'm also lucky enough (crazy enough?) to have the Nokton's predecessor, the Auto-Topcor 58/1.4...

I do not know if a Leitax conversion is available for the lens - you'd have to email Leitax or wait for another PF member here...
Thanks. Yes I figured it's amazing. I dislike this business of amazing things being in short supply! Lol.

12-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Thanks. I didn't know about the Pentax mount but YIKES to Japanese seller!

---------- Post added 12-18-20 at 05:59 AM ----------

Thanks. Yes I figured it's amazing. I dislike this business of amazing things being in short supply! Lol.
one of things that has worked for me, when there is something specific that I'm looking for: post a "wanted" ad for it...
12-18-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

one of things that has worked for me, when there is something specific that I'm looking for: post a "wanted" ad for it...
Now would be a good time to do it. I just bumped the one I've had going for 8 months yesterday, so it would be above it. 😀
12-18-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Had that on a Super D.... one of my all time favorites, big lens!

Hang up and DRIVE!

12-18-2020, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Had that on a Super D.... one of my all time favorites, big lens!

Hang up and DRIVE!
Same name but different lens. Cosina just used the styling, the optical formula was new.
12-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

I am a big big fan of the VL58mm f1.4. You may be interested to read an older thread:
FA31mm f1.8 vs VL Nokton 58mm f1.4 - PentaxForums.com

The VL58mm II can be found second hand with Pentax K-mount ad automatic aperture. This is the version that I have. It was my 2nd lens purchase, after the DA18-250mm, for my Pentax SLR lens collection. In many counts, the best investment that I made.

Hope that the comment may help.
12-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Second question, would it be possible to use one of the Leitax adapters with the Voigtlander?
That would be a question for Leitax. They support mount conversion for Zeiss ZF/ZFII lenses (first cousin to the VL/VLII lines, both of which are made by Cosina) to Pentax-K and might for the Nokton 58/1.4 as well.

Update:They list the Voigtlander SLII for instructions, but not as an active link. I take that as a positive indication. http://leitax.com/Nikon-lens-for-Pentax-cameras.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-18-2020 at 03:05 PM.
12-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know where you are based, there's currently one for sale in Austria (has been for some time) for €625
Usual disclaimer from my side; no connection etc and don't know if he will ship internationally
Voigtl

Good luck, cheers, Gerard

Sorry, just noticed that he doesn't ship outside Austria.......

Last edited by FotoGekko; 12-18-2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: unintentional quotes and additional info
12-19-2020, 04:36 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am a big big fan of the VL58mm f1.4. You may be interested to read an older thread:
FA31mm f1.8 vs VL Nokton 58mm f1.4 - PentaxForums.com

The VL58mm II can be found second hand with Pentax K-mount ad automatic aperture. This is the version that I have. It was my 2nd lens purchase, after the DA18-250mm, for my Pentax SLR lens collection. In many counts, the best investment that I made.

Hope that the comment may help.
Thanks for the link. A nice read. Good testament to anything is the simple enthusiasm to keep using the thing long after the novelty has passed and when all the other glitzy attractions have either come and gone or never lured you away. YT for instance is full of user product reviews gushing over something that is brand new. What's it like 2 years later? Mostly sold.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 04:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be a question for Leitax. They support mount conversion for Zeiss ZF/ZFII lenses (first cousin to the VL/VLII lines, both of which are made by Cosina) to Pentax-K and might for the Nokton 58/1.4 as well.

Update:They list the Voigtlander SLII for instructions, but not as an active link. I take that as a positive indication. Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

Steve
I wrote to them and asked if their adapter for the Nikon to Pentax mount would be suitable for the Voightlander and the answer is a Yes. So, purchasing new, the best option would be the Voightlander with Nikon mount and then fit the Leitax Nikon to Pentax adapter.

The only thing there is that I'd rather be using some vintage glass rather than a relatively modern lens if I'm going to start taking it apart to fit adapters.

Fortunately I don't have the cash right now so whilst I'm saving/waiting I increase the chances of a Pentax mount Voightlander popping up - because that is the much preferred option.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoGekko Quote
Don't know where you are based, there's currently one for sale in Austria (has been for some time) for €625
Usual disclaimer from my side; no connection etc and don't know if he will ship internationally
Voigtl

Good luck, cheers, Gerard

Sorry, just noticed that he doesn't ship outside Austria.......
I did a quick google translate and it does state No shipping abroad. Someone in Austria is going to have themselves a very nice piece of glass. It looks excellent and the description indicates as new. Encouraging that people will part with these things at not too extreme prices.
12-19-2020, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The only thing there is that I'd rather be using some vintage glass rather than a relatively modern lens if I'm going to start taking it apart to fit adapters.
Good luck! If not for price, the Nokton's silver twin, the Cosina-made Auto-Topcor 50/1.4 in M42 mount might be a reasonable alternative. Unfortunately, it is a collector's item and hard to come by at any price.

Steve
12-21-2020, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Is the crazy club accepting new members? (I'll soon have two of them..)

Just received a few custom machined PK and M42 mounts that replace the Exakta mount of the Topcon RE Auto-Topcor 5.8cm 1.4. The modification allows infinity focus and is entirely reversible. Anyone interested in seeing the result once I'm ready to fit them?
12-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cps_goodbuy Quote
Is the crazy club accepting new members? (I'll soon have two of them..)

Just received a few custom machined PK and M42 mounts that replace the Exakta mount of the Topcon RE Auto-Topcor 5.8cm 1.4. The modification allows infinity focus and is entirely reversible. Anyone interested in seeing the result once I'm ready to fit them?
The Auto-Topcor 5.8cm 1.4 in Exakta mount is a lens that's notoriously difficult to adapt (I know I've tried and failed once). I'd not only love to see your "result", but would also be interested in possibly purchasing one if offerred for sale here in the marketplace.