Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2020, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pure IPA is not advised. I'd use a dilute form as ProfessorBuzz mentioned and I'd use Everclear (in place of the IPA) which is Ethyl alcohol and is fairly pure other than a bit of distilled water. Alcohol is used to dissolve things the detergent and water can't (some oils and the like) so it need not be concentrated and can do more harm than good in concentrated form. Always use distilled water for dilution. I follow up cleanings by carefully blowing on the lens surface so as to create some condensation, and then swab that off with lens tissue, removing any residues from the cleaning.

12-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
Lev
Veteran Member

I highly recommend these:

Zeiss Lens Wipes
Zeiss Lens Care Kit, Includes Microfiber Cloth, 2oz Spray Bottle

Using them on front elements gave just perfect results, crystal clear surface on first try, which I can't tell the same when it comes to rear elements. I don't know why, maybe because there are different coatings, it leaves tiny circle like shapes if you wipe while it's wet. Next time I'll try to continue wiping until it dries out to remove them afterwards.

And last one I have used and never will do for any lens is this:
ROR Lens Cleaner & Oil Residue Remover

Although it perfectly removes oil and other stuff, it leaves a lot of residue behind.
12-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always use the slightest damp cloth (like a drop or two of water) to clean my gear. I would never use the strong stuff.
12-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hint: The maker says no...

As for IPA not being an aggressive solvent, it depends on definition of aggressive. As a polar solvent, its activity is similar to methanol, but not as strong as acetone. I would not use it at the 90% concentration commonly available here in the U.S.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-25-2020 at 11:01 AM.
12-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. Never use IPA. Stouts and porters are even worse for a lens. I'd try a pilsner.

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
Those hard seltzers might work.
12-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Using them on front elements gave just perfect results, crystal clear surface on first try, which I can't tell the same when it comes to rear elements. I don't know why, maybe because there are different coatings, it leaves tiny circle like shapes if you wipe while it's wet. Next time I'll try to continue wiping until it dries out to remove them afterwards.

Even with modern Pentax glass (since 2006), coatings on rear elements require extra care, given that they are not treated with SP (Super Protect) Coating. I try to keep them as dust-free and free of any other matter as I can so that usually don't have to touch them with anything at all.
12-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #22
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Even with modern Pentax glass (since 2006), coatings on rear elements require extra care, given that they are not treated with SP (Super Protect) Coating. I try to keep them as dust-free and free of any other matter as I can so that usually don't have to touch them with anything at all.
That's true if you don't forget to put a rear cap on before picking it up and inserting your thumb inside leaving a huuuge fingerprint, as I did

12-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm guessing this thread has sold a lot of UV or clear filters. And would have even for the rear of lenses, if manufacturers had put threads there.
12-25-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
London Dry Gin, surely ?
Must be only Beefeater though.
12-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #25
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm guessing this thread has sold a lot of UV or clear filters. And would have even for the rear of lenses, if manufacturers had put threads there.

no comment!
12-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the good old days (1970's), you used Kodak lens cleaning fluid and put a drop on your Kodak lens tissue (and as noted above, swirled out from the center).

I still have some of both, which get used vary sparingly.
12-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zeiss lens cleaning solution works well. There are some newer coatings that don't like to be cleaned with alcohol.
12-25-2020, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. Never use IPA. Stouts and porters are even worse for a lens. I'd try a pilsner.

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
Yes we know !
Hard to resist this one....lol
01-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
And last one I have used and never will do for any lens is this:
ROR Lens Cleaner & Oil Residue Remover

Although it perfectly removes oil and other stuff, it leaves a lot of residue behind.
Lev is absolutely right. In my experience, it goes get rid of the oil, but it sometimes just spreads it around, and usally leaves a mess behind. So then you need to clean again with something else.
Not recommended.
01-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Lev is absolutely right. In my experience, it goes get rid of the oil, but it sometimes just spreads it around, and usally leaves a mess behind. So then you need to clean again with something else.
Not recommended.
I have a bottle and it did come in handy after shooting some cooking photos for my wife. I would have thought standing 2-3 feet away from a frypan would have been plenty for avoiding spattering oil. It is not.

Otherwise I agree it leaves a residue that just requires more cleaning with alcohol wipes (love the Zeiss ones) to remove. There's very few instances where I'd use it.