Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

IPA suitable for cleaning?

Hallo,

so far I thought, IPA would be a good means for cleaning lens surfaces. In the instructions for my latest lens (85mm), Pentax write to "never use any organic solvent such as thinner, alcohol, or benzine, etc. to remove dust on the lens". Is this said only to avoid that people use by mistake one of the aggressive ones, or ist IPA indeed also not usable? I believed, IPA is the ideal solvent - removing fat, not aggressive, not water, not leaving traces. I hope, I did not damage coatings in the past.

Many thanks for your opinion,
Nuftur

12-25-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you mean beer you would be better off just to drink it. If you are meaning Isopropyl alcohol probably a drop on a cleaning cloth won’t hurt. Just take it easy.
12-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isopropyl alcohol can leave streaks and spots due to dissolved impurities. Even 100% can do this if it isn’t truly pure.
12-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Merry Christmas!
IPA is my last resort. It can fog some clear surfaces (not glass) and it can remove paint and markings.
I use it when attacking fungus after hydrogen peroxide but only if the lens is disassembled and parts isolated.

Thanks,

12-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can this be used as a % solution? Or you have to go with 100% ?
12-25-2020, 07:17 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuftur Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you mean beer you would be better off just to drink it.
Right. Never use IPA. Stouts and porters are even worse for a lens. I'd try a pilsner.

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
12-25-2020, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A mix I've used for years is distilled water, 99.9% pure isopropyl, and 1 drop of dawn dish soap to break the surface tension. It depends what you're trying to get rid of.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 07:21 AM ----------

I should also mention that I've had great success with Pec Pads and Eclipse Optic fluid. Eclipse Optic Fluid. | Sensor Cleaning for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras | Sensor Swab®, Cinema Sensor Cleaning
The downside is that it contains methanol, and it can dissolve the black paint around the edges if used too aggressively.

12-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

The only downside of using 100% IPA is that it evaporates so quickly you most likely will be left with dry tissue just in second. On the other hand, it doesn't contain additives, thus less chanse to leave streaks. I bought 2 liters of 100% and ended up using Zeiss moistured wipes
12-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

Follow the manufacturers instructions.

I've had 100% isopropyl alcohol strip off the rear coating on a Tokina teleconverter once. Never again will I let alcohol near my optics except as a very last resort (hasn't happened yet) and only 50% or less.

Organic solvents can also damage the resins (plastics) used for the body, rings etc. of the lens. I've also seen 100% alcohol damage the surface of plastics, dissolve lettering and rubber parts. Using alcohol for cleaning is just asking for trouble.

Besides, IPAs (India Paie Ales) are better for drinking than cleaning.
12-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Odd in my bench days we used ether / alcohol mix, under a hood, quick swirl after dusting solids.
This was the norm before SMC optics.

I will never forget Gene Wentworth of Honeywell/Pentax grinding a cigarette out on the front element on the optical bench, telling us “look and believe “

Always start in the center, work outwards, it’s those edges you worry about

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. Never use IPA. Stouts and porters are even worse for a lens. I'd try a pilsner.

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
London Dry Gin, surely ?
12-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Can’t tell for the lens, but using too much IPA yourself can definitely make your pictures worst!
12-25-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I also use zeiss cleaning wipes when I need something liquid for cleaning, others prefer a spray bottle and microfiber cloth. The wipes have isopropyl alcohol, but I'd not risk using bottled isopropyl for disinfecting just because of how cheap the wipes are compared to any lens, let alone your 85.
12-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Bear in mind Pentax’s phrase should be taken literally. There is no need to use IPA for dust.
IPA is great for cleaning, especially lightly diluted (70:30 IPA:Water is fine) but I’ve used IPA neat without issue.
12-25-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
A mix I've used for years is distilled water, 99.9% pure isopropyl, and 1 drop of dawn dish soap to break the surface tension. It depends what you're trying to get rid of.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 07:21 AM ----------

I should also mention that I've had great success with Pec Pads and Eclipse Optic fluid. Eclipse Optic Fluid. | Sensor Cleaning for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras | Sensor Swab®, Cinema Sensor Cleaning
The downside is that it contains methanol, and it can dissolve the black paint around the edges if used too aggressively.
I'd second Eclipse and Pec Pads. Used this combination for years ...