Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Moldy Christmas gift?

Brand new lens. I knew when I twisted the rear cap and saw excessive dust on the cap that it wasn't a good sign. I shined my flashlight underneath the optics and saw more dust and what appears to be either mold or wet spots? Perhaps, it got condensation during shipping, and the residue on the optics is what was left underneath optics. I also saw a hair line stratch that I believe it is in the middle optic. Fairly disappointed as I was quite excited to try out this new fast lens. I brought it off Amazon. Hopefully, if they send me a replacement it doesn't have the same issues. I wonder how many lenses they will allow me to go through before they call it quits. At least it wasn't decentered like one of the reviewers complained about.

Dropbox - 20201225_115633.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201225_115742.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201225_125042.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201225_125133.jpg - Simplify your life

12-25-2020, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding dust... If you shine a flashlight through almost any lens, you'll find some, unless it has been manufactured in a completely clean, sterile environment.

I notice it's an f/0.95 lens, which leads me to think it might be a 7artisans, Zhongyi Mitakon, or other similar Chinese manufactured model. If so, you should know these have a reputation for being dusty from the factory. The environment in which they're constructed is unlikely to be meticulously clean and sterile, and the handling of the optical elements and lens body components probably isn't all that careful compared to mainstream brands. That said, you certainly shouldn't expect fungus, condensation marks or scratches on the optical elements.

Other than the obvious dust (which doesn't look awful for a lens of this class) It's difficult to tell from your photos what the marks are - whether they're just reflections or something on (or inside) the elements. If you're not happy, send it back - but be aware that the flashlight test with any new or used lens will generally horrify you
12-25-2020, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it looks more like dust than anything else. Maybe a bit hazy too. Since it was new, definitely try returning and replacing it.
12-25-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There’s definitely a lot of dust. But there is a spot in the middle that has a circular pattern. Maybe it’s just the focus , but some other spots also don’t look like dust particles.

12-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Regarding dust... If you shine a flashlight through almost any lens, you'll find some, unless it has been manufactured in a completely clean, sterile environment.

I notice it's an f/0.95 lens, which leads me to think it might be a 7artisans, Zhongyi Mitakon, or other similar Chinese manufactured model. If so, you should know these have a reputation for being dusty from the factory. The environment in which they're constructed is unlikely to be meticulously clean and sterile, and the handling of the optical elements and lens body components probably isn't all that careful compared to mainstream brands. That said, you certainly shouldn't expect fungus, condensation marks or scratches on the optical elements.

Other than the obvious dust (which doesn't look awful for a lens of this class) It's difficult to tell from your photos what the marks are - whether they're just reflections or something on (or inside) the elements. If you're not happy, send it back - but be aware that the flashlight test with any new or used lens will generally horrify you
Thanks for pointing out the issues with their factory. That's unfortunate that they don't keep it clean. I'm sure a few Hepa filters would help with the dust issues. However, I've never had that dust issue with any of my Sony, Sigma, or Samyang lenses. Here's another shot with a comparsion below of my Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 8 element lens. As you can see my Takumar looks far better for being a old lens compared to this new lens. If you look closely, and pixel peep you can see the dry wet spots on the 7 Artisans lens. Look at the left hand side of the first photo.

Dropbox - 20201225_144048.jpg - Simplify your life

Takumar

Dropbox - 20201225_144332.jpg - Simplify your life
12-25-2020, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

To answer the original question, I was allowed two copies of a new "sold by Amazon"-directly lens before Amazon would not allow me another copy. I chatted with support and got one more try. I kept that third one although it still wasn't quite corrct.
12-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
To answer the original question, I was allowed two copies of a new "sold by Amazon"-directly lens before Amazon would not allow me another copy. I chatted with support and got one more try. I kept that third one although it still wasn't quite corrct.
Thanks for the response. Do you know if you have to send the current one back before you can get the replacement? I wanted to compare it. I would hate to get a decentered one after sending the none decentered one back, and end up stuck with it.

12-25-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Thanks for the response. Do you know if you have to send the current one back before you can get the replacement? I wanted to compare it. I would hate to get a decentered one after sending the none decentered one back, and end up stuck with it.
I did not have to send the first one back when I got the 2nd, and kept the 2nd one to compare to the 3rd. The first one I wouldn't have kept no matter what so I sent it back when I convinced Amazon to send the 3rd one.

On the other hand, I bought the 60-250 on a sale, not at Amazon. My copy was way off on focus - at the "10" end of the scale, maybe an "11" if the scale had it. I had temporary access to someone else's copy that was a 0 on both of my bodies so I knew the lens could have been at least much closer. But, the 60-250 I'd bought wasn't decentered, and I figured (correctly, as it turned out) that Pentax could fix the focus under warranty. Plus the sale had gone off so I couldn't order another at nearly the same price. I guess I should have bought two to start with, knowing I'd send one of them back. Of course by the same argument maybe I should have bought three or four. It's just annoying that manufacturers make us do quality control for them. I'd pay a little more for lenses that somebody had already tested. Incidentally even with manual live view focus, the 60-250 I ended up keeping never did quite match that other 60-250, but it was barely detectable by the 16mp aa-blurred sensors I had. I couldn't compare it after Pentax servicing, but the AF was night and day better when it came back. And it's still a very good lens, with no decentering I can detect.
12-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that is way too ugly.
12-25-2020, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've quit buying from Amazon. For me it's either B&H, Adorama, or KEH. At least they understand what photography and customer service is.
12-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I did not have to send the first one back when I got the 2nd, and kept the 2nd one to compare to the 3rd. The first one I wouldn't have kept no matter what so I sent it back when I convinced Amazon to send the 3rd one.

On the other hand, I bought the 60-250 on a sale, not at Amazon. My copy was way off on focus - at the "10" end of the scale, maybe an "11" if the scale had it. I had temporary access to someone else's copy that was a 0 on both of my bodies so I knew the lens could have been at least much closer. But, the 60-250 I'd bought wasn't decentered, and I figured (correctly, as it turned out) that Pentax could fix the focus under warranty. Plus the sale had gone off so I couldn't order another at nearly the same price. I guess I should have bought two to start with, knowing I'd send one of them back. Of course by the same argument maybe I should have bought three or four. It's just annoying that manufacturers make us do quality control for them. I'd pay a little more for lenses that somebody had already tested. Incidentally even with manual live view focus, the 60-250 I ended up keeping never did quite match that other 60-250, but it was barely detectable by the 16mp aa-blurred sensors I had. I couldn't compare it after Pentax servicing, but the AF was night and day better when it came back. And it's still a very good lens, with no decentering I can detect.
That's good to hear that everything worked out for you. I brought a lens where it was slightly off infinitiy. Kind of annoying that I can't just set it on the marker and shoot. However, methere is nothing that I can do about it since it was a screw up on Samyangs part. Everyone that owns the lens has that same issue. It doesn't help that it is clickless either.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 07:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I've quit buying from Amazon. For me it's either B&H, Adorama, or KEH. At least they understand what photography and customer service is.
I've shopped at Adorama. The issue with this particular lens at the time it was on back order. So I decided to buy it on Amazon. I do like the point system on Adorama. After awhile you can redeem gift cards whereas Amazon gives you nothing.
12-25-2020, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
That's good to hear that everything worked out for you. I brought a lens where it was slightly off infinitiy. Kind of annoying that I can't just set it on the marker and shoot. However, methere is nothing that I can do about it since it was a screw up on Samyangs part. Everyone that owns the lens has that same issue. It doesn't help that it is clickless either.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 07:39 PM ----------

I've shopped at Adorama. The issue with this particular lens at the time it was on back order. So I decided to buy it on Amazon. I do like the point system on Adorama. After awhile you can redeem gift cards whereas Amazon gives you nothing.
My 60-250 came from Adorama I'm pretty sure. If you have Prime or a Store Card then you do get 5% back at Amazon, but I've used the Adorama points as well. I got $10 off on a purchase using Adorama points just this month. I also bought an item at B&H this month, so everybody has gotten some of my money lately.