Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SMC coating. How to clean Pentax lenses?

Hi,

Currently I use Lenspen for lense cleaning, however I read that some of coatings are very delicate (for example Hoya) and cleaning needs special approach.

What about Pentax SMC coating? Is it delicate?

How to clean Pentax lense without damaging SMC coating?

Are there any official Pentax statements about Pentax lense cleaning and SMC coating?

10-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use lens cleaning solution and lens tissue purchased in a photo store. Always have. I have never detected any damages.

The only advice I have seen from Pentax is what NOT to do. Quoting from the D FA manual: "Never us any organic solvent such as thinner, alcohol or benzine, etc., to remove dust on the lens".
10-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I use lens cleaning solution and lens tissue purchased in a photo store. Always have. I have never detected any damages.

The only advice I have seen from Pentax is what NOT to do. Quoting from the D FA manual: "Never us any organic solvent such as thinner, alcohol or benzine, etc., to remove dust on the lens".
I've read that too, especially the no alcohol part. But pre-moistened lens cleaning tissue (contains isopropanol) and lens cleaning solution both contain some sort of alcohol to make the solution dry faster.

Are lens cleaning solutions and pre-moistened lens tissue a no no then according to Pentax?
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the cleaner that comes with my nikon (sorry) eye glass lenses. I have never seen a problem, but note, I have only cleaned each of my lenses once or twice over the 25 years I have had some of them.

I always have a UV filter on them, and never touch the rear elements.

The cleaner has not hurt any of my filters. (a selection of mostly Hoya, somne Kenko, Marumi)

10-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha SMC is a toughie. It was codesigned with the Zeiss T* decades ago. When S-M-C Taks first came out, I heard a story about a camera store manager who used to put out his cigarettes on the front element.

I've seen a store employee run his keys, with force, over a front lens group of a broken Tokina 28-80mm (Cosina made) and no scratches. Ran it face down on the carpet (staples included), brought it up, wiped the dust off with his shirt, nothing.

So any microfibre cloth isn't going to wreck your SMC. Just make sure your cloth ain't dirty and try not to touch the cloth unecessarily with your hands (oil). Other than that, most methods are safe.
10-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmm, now that's a good idea- do a test on some old beater lens to see what punishment i could take....
10-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I used to freak out about touching ANYTHING to the front element. Then I realized that nearly every lens I have seen for sale on ebay or sitting in a box at a garage sale has had completely scratch-free glass. One would think that if lenses were really so delicate, it would be nearly impossible to find (for example) a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 in good shape optically, but they're all over the place. Even ones that obviously haven't seen a lens cap in 30 years usually have glass in excellent shape, although they're often filled with dust, fungus, oil...
10-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

But I should say that it tears my heart out that my dad never puts lens caps on his Leica glass. "Dad! You do realize that Noctilux cost you 5 grand, right?!"