Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 02:20 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At long last- the 3rd Amigo!

This past October, I finally decided to add a FF body and bought myself a birthday present- a new K-1 II with the DFA 28-105 DC WR kit lens. This decision was based largely on a good price, and especially to resurrect some old favorite lenses, which includes the Pentax FA 43mm and 77mm Ltds, FA 35mm f/2, FA 28mm f/2.8, a Tokina ATX 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II, a Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (77mm filter size), Pentax 17-28mm fisheye zoom, and the very small but good Pentax "F" 35-70mm bought used around 2003. I got good deals on each of these lenses, including a Pentax $100 rebate on the Ltd's around 2005, and really enjoyed them on my film bodies. But of these, I found only the 77mm Ltd and to a lesser degree the FA 35mm and 28mm of interest for my APS-C shooting. So since getting my K-1 II, I sure have been enjoying these and the others again!!

Yet something was missing, and something I never have had- an excellent, fast wide-angle lens, delivering fine quality edge-to-edge. The FA 35mm f/2 can do this on my FF body, and it is wide angle, and I love its versatile FL. However, the 31mm is significantly wider. So when a price reduction sale of numerous Pentax lenses of limited available quantity popped up at B&H including $200 off the FA 31mm Ltd, I went for it. My New Year's gift to myself. And it sure is a beaut on my K-1 II!
I've only done some test shots, and then a few around the neighborhood- which immediately presented as a very sharp wide angle lens. Even sharp wide open!
Very impressive!

01-05-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This past October, I finally decided to add a FF body and bought myself a birthday present- a new K-1 II with the DFA 28-105 DC WR kit lens. This decision was based largely on a good price, and especially to resurrect some old favorite lenses, which includes the Pentax FA 43mm and 77mm Ltds, FA 35mm f/2, FA 28mm f/2.8, a Tokina ATX 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II, a Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (77mm filter size), Pentax 17-28mm fisheye zoom, and the very small but good Pentax "F" 35-70mm bought used around 2003. I got good deals on each of these lenses, including a Pentax $100 rebate on the Ltd's around 2005, and really enjoyed them on my film bodies. But of these, I found only the 77mm Ltd and to a lesser degree the FA 35mm and 28mm of interest for my APS-C shooting. So since getting my K-1 II, I sure have been enjoying these and the others again!!

Yet something was missing, and something I never have had- an excellent, fast wide-angle lens, delivering fine quality edge-to-edge. The FA 35mm f/2 can do this on my FF body, and it is wide angle, and I love its versatile FL. However, the 31mm is significantly wider. So when a price reduction sale of numerous Pentax lenses of limited available quantity popped up at B&H including $200 off the FA 31mm Ltd, I went for it. My New Year's gift to myself. And it sure is a beaut on my K-1 II!
I've only done some test shots, and then a few around the neighborhood- which immediately presented as a very sharp wide angle lens. Even wide open! Very impressive!
Good for you, you deserve the 31 just for surviving 2020!

Always helps to be patient and wait for it to go on sale too. Now you can buy something else.

I have two of the three myself but haven't yet been convinced there's a reason to get the 43. As for the 31 I came really close to selling it when I had just KP's and K-70's as I never saw the pixie dust others have talked about. But on my K1 it shines!
01-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA Limiteds are great on APS-C but they're even better on FF. There's just something special about the K1 and an FA Limited combo.
01-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Mike

I started with the 31 ltd, the rest will be a long way into the future .
I use it on asp-c , I'll have to wait to get a K 1 something .

Dave

01-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
But on my K1 it shines!
Indeed so! I thought it would, and it does!

---------- Post added 01-05-21 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Mike

I started with the 31 ltd, the rest will be a long way into the future .
I use it on asp-c , I'll have to wait to get a K 1 something .

Dave
Hang on, Dave! I originally had my M 40mm f/2.8 for my compact companion with my ME Super way back when. I really liked it. So when the rebate deal came up much later, I figured with the 43mm Ltd I would get AF and more aperture to go on my PZ-!p or especially my compact MZ-S. I was immediately struck by the brighter view through the VF. But on APS-C it just lacked the versatility for me, so it has done a lot of sitting for years. I would go to my DA 40mm for at least a little more versatile width, but never the same thing. I passed on the 31 Ltd, because I thought just another normal lens on APS-C, might prefer to go with my FA 28mm. On the K-1 II, it's a whole other ballgame!

---------- Post added 01-05-21 at 03:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Good for you, you deserve the 31 just for surviving 2020!
Thanks! I do agree!

---------- Post added 01-05-21 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The FA Limiteds are great on APS-C but they're even better on FF. There's just something special about the K1 and an FA Limited combo.
You're right on! With FF they each have a more distinctive view onto the world, that along with the unique, unlikely combination of fast aperture and relatively small size.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-05-2021 at 03:53 PM.
01-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats on adding the FA 31 to the FA 43 and FA 77
01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the fa 31 on full frame is more interesting. The fa 77 I like on Apache but I loved the Nikon 105 on 35mm film so that makes sense. There nothing wrong with the 77 on either ff or APSC. I’ve never shot the 43.

01-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Foxie! I agree- the FA77mm Ltd is great whether on FF or APS-C. The fast-aperture trio makes sense. You've got a wide-angle, a true normal (or wide/normal) pancake, and a moderate telephoto, all of very high build quality, and remarkable for being so compact for the speed and FL combined with that quality. But this arrangement is lost with these lenses when going to APS-C.
01-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! The 31 is certainly a gem - love mine!
That said the 35 is no slouch (have plenty of keepers with it) - for me the 43 seems to fill the role of what I used to do with my FA 35.

Enjoy!
01-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally got out on a rather pleasant day for this time of year, went to a park, took some all-around shots, some stone-wall shots, and my usual decentered test. Everything turned out very fine, and very impressive for sharpness and overall imaging.

One thing to know about- vignetting at wider apertures. Of course, this is my first wide angle fast lens. The testing for this lens so far has been on APS-C bodies, and with excellent results. But FF is another ball game. On my K-1 II, wide open, light falloff with an expansive same background (like mid-day sky) is very noticeable. In good lighting, with varied subjects taking up the frame, not a lot of issue but is detectable if scrutinized. Upon viewing test results of high-quality FF fast prime lenses of 28-35mm by other brands, this is par for the course, with this lens seemingly better than some. However, where the Pentax DA 31mm Ltd pulls ahead is in how rapidly this issue diminishes upon stopping down- very quickly. By f/2.2 light falloff is reduced noticeably but still very much there, while on APS-C tests it is nearly gone at this point, so this shows how it has retreated to being reduced and in the outer areas of the frame. Continuing with my K-1 II, by f/2.8 the issue is nearly gone! Just slightly visible in corners with an expansive same background. By f/3.2 for all practical purposes, there is no longer an issue! Light falloff disappearing that fast is exceptional for any lens of this aperture range, let alone a wide angle type. Again, very impressive!

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-12-2021 at 08:27 PM.
01-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the 31 on the K-1 - my go to 'street' combo - not discreet, but great results