Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgcom Quote
With a good outside light, I tried FA 43 f/1.9 Ltd and Samyang 45 f/1.8 on Sony A7iii and K10D.
  • Samyang focuses faster. But I think it uses contrast detection in both AF-S and AF-C modes and that cannot be changed - the menu on Sony to change mode is grayed out.
  • 43 mm with adapter uses phase detection, you can select CDAF in the menu but lens won't focus - most probably CDAF algorithms are paywalled by Sony...
The speed varies depending on focus point configuration selected - more points used (ex. expandable flexible spot) - faster it will lock on focus.
Also, it looks like AF-C is just a bit slower, but this was tested on stationary target only...
Performance seems to be comparable to that of K10D - which is noticeably slower than Sony - there might be a s much as ~1 sec delay before focus is confirmed after changing from near to far and back.

So if you are saying that Samyang is 9 on 1-10 scale, than 43mm would be somewhere at 4.5 - usable, but very different.
And keep in mind, I got used to Sony's speed in 3 years I have it, but like Pentax a lot...
Thank you for the trouble of doing the comparison.
K10D AF... hmm.. (I had K100D > K7 and skipped K10D ), but I think I can try to recall the K100D AF.
So seems like its functional but no twitchy children...
Was hoping it would be more like 6 or 6.5 out of 10.

I ditched all my Sony native lenses when I was using the A7 (so so AF, typical of MILC cameras pre A7iii ) and it was only used as a manual lens platform.

11-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thank you for the trouble of doing the comparison.
K10D AF... hmm.. (I had K100D > K7 and skipped K10D ), but I think I can try to recall the K100D AF.
So seems like its functional but no twitchy children...
Was hoping it would be more like 6 or 6.5 out of 10.

I ditched all my Sony native lenses when I was using the A7 (so so AF, typical of MILC cameras pre A7iii ) and it was only used as a manual lens platform.
It won't work for fast moving subjects as far as I can see, however I haven't tried AF-C - maybe it will lock and follow properly.
I understand how that can be disappointing, but I have heard that the first firmware does not deliver full power to the motor, so there is a room for improvement.
For me, half of the benefit is lens data - for EXIF and IBS, this is why I am trying not to compare directly with other lenses on A7iii - I think it was one of the first bodies with significant AF improvement.
On the other hand, I also have Sigma MC-11 adapter and coupe of Canon lens - their older 100mm f/2.8 macro USM and standard EF 50 f/1.8 STM - they behave just a bit better, possibly due to Sigma agreement with Sony and also because of built in motor...
11-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s much appreciated. I’d like to know how fast and accurate the lenses are compared to Sony native lenses, but equally interesting will be how fast and accurate the lenses are on the Sony compared to the Pentax bodies you have.
All the Pentax lenses I own have been tested for AF on the K-1 (and reported in reviews), making my life easier

I've reviewed quite a few FE mount lenses already (on another platform, of course), I'm getting more fluent on that universe. I have not tested any Samyang lenses yet, however, they're not easy to borrow.
11-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
All the Pentax lenses I own have been tested for AF on the K-1 (and reported in reviews), making my life easier

I've reviewed quite a few FE mount lenses already (on another platform, of course), I'm getting more fluent on that universe. I have not tested any Samyang lenses yet, however, they're not easy to borrow.
A link to the FE reviews would be appreciated. Very interested.

11-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A link to the FE reviews would be appreciated. Very interested.
I believe it's ok to share that here, since it's not in "competition" with Pentaxforums, where my heart is

The website is www.alphashooters.com . The tele lenses articles/reviews are not mine, the rest of the lens reviews pretty much are.
11-26-2021, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I believe it's ok to share that here, since it's not in "competition" with Pentaxforums, where my heart is

The website is www.alphashooters.com . The tele lenses articles/reviews are not mine, the rest of the lens reviews pretty much are.
Ah! I’m a member there also. I haven’t participated much as it isn’t very active. I’ll look for your reviews.
12-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #67
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,
I have got mine a fewdays ago, and thought to share first impressions. I use it with A7II (v4.0). I would split the performance into two parts - autofocus and stopping down the aperture. So autofocus works with DA 35mm Ltd, FA 31mm, FA 43mm and FA77mm, and from my initial experience FA31mm being the best, and FA 43mm the worst.However, it cannot stop down aperture with FA 43 at all - it is possible to shoot only wide opened. FA 31 and FA77 works, with some delay - you press the shutter, it stops down, thinks a moment, and takes the picture. What is interesting - camera always saves three copies of one shot, all with slightly different (about 1/3) exposure. DA 35Ltd is a mixed bag - autofocus works pretty well, but sometimes it stops down, sometimes doesn't. DA*55 is not supported and cannot autofocus. I contacted the seller concerning FA 43mm issue, and got a replay:
"Dear customer:
This same problem is happened on the other FA43mm lens .Some of the 43 one can work ,but some cannot.It is the Individual differences of lens. We have send this problem to manufactureand they told us that they will try to solve this problem with the nextfirmware update. So it is not your own problem...." According to @dgcom post his FA 43mm was working, maybe that is also a camera issue?

So now I am thinking,should I keep it and use with FA 31/77 combo and wait for a new FW update, orjust send it back. What are others’ experiences?

12-11-2021, 07:40 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The a7ii is widely looked in in Sony circles as having poor autofocus. I wonder if that’s related to the problems in any way. It is listed as compatible by Monster/Magic Ring so I wouldn’t think it was the issue. The FA 43 issue is odd.
12-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
What is interesting - camera always saves three copies of one shot, all with slightly different (about 1/3) exposure.
This is very strange... Are you sure your drive mode is set to single shot?

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
"Dear customer:
This same problem is happened on the other FA43mm lens .Some of the 43 one can work ,but some cannot.It is the Individual differences of lens. We have send this problem to manufactureand they told us that they will try to solve this problem with the nextfirmware update. So it is not your own problem...." According to @dgcom post his FA 43mm was working, maybe that is also a camera issue?
My 43mm is working, however I would agree that AF is worse than other lens I rested. Individual lens variation is possible - this is a mechanical linkage and need good precision.
I also saw someone mention that FA 50 f/1.4 worked, but it didn't for me and it is not on supported list (yet).
12-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like bracketing got turned on somehow. Perhaps electrically it confused the body?
12-11-2021, 10:47 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Interesting looking at the reviews on taobao. Didn't think there were gonna be chinese pentax enthusiasts referring to the FA lenses as the princesses.
12-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #72
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgcom Quote
This is very strange... Are you sure your drive mode is set to single shot?

My 43mm is working, however I would agree that AF is worse than other lens I rested. Individual lens variation is possible - this is a mechanical linkage and need good precision.
I also saw someone mention that FA 50 f/1.4 worked, but it didn't for me and it is not on supported list (yet).
Sounds like bracketing got turned on somehow. Perhaps electrically it confused the body?
Indeed, DRO bracketing was on - I was not even aware such thing exists at all Thanks, one issue solved

My old F 70 - 210 f4,0-5,6 starts to AF, but cannot lock, so formally it is not working.

I will write directly to manufacturer. My FA 43mm is old one, Ser. No. 0008427, so maybe there were some changes. I will update my post, and thanks again for the replays.
12-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well , I think I will place this one on the back burner for the time being.
So , in the meantime , I am going to order :
Novoflex PK to E adapter ( rather expensive )
K&F Concept PK to E adapter ( rather cheap )
Both look good and both have manual basic Aperture control.
What is the difference between them , performance?
There is practically nothing online , you just have to buy them and try.
12-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have a couple of K&F adapters and are very good, really well made.
12-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Things like matt interior to prevent internal reflections, perpendicularity to mount, light leak (present in early cheap adapters and resolved with a black hair band), odd mount issues/finishing that makes one or two lenses unable to mount.

That said, no guarantee that an expensive one has all the above considered.
Your best chance is to look for mentions/reviews on an adapted lenses forum or FB.