Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 351 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Very true. Hey Ricoh (or KEH), sell them in sets! Buy six for the price of five. Only choice is silver or black. Make it also a kit option with a new body.
Or create a Pentax Limited membership. With each new limited, your benefits increase on future purchases.
Norwegian distributor fovi.no sells the KP in kits with each of the DA Limiteds, but only one per kit, not in a bundle with two or more.

01-17-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #152
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Norwegian distributor fovi.no sells the KP in kits with each of the DA Limiteds, but only one per kit, not in a bundle with two or more.
So... to get a whole set of HD DA Limiteds, you'd end up with six KPs? Well... I guess it's wise to have a backup camera or six

---------- Post added 17-01-21 at 20:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I actually paid £259 for my 15mm.
Man alive, that's a great price... and you said it was mint or near mint, I think? Great catch!
01-17-2021, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... to get a whole set of HD DA Limiteds, you'd end up with six KPs? Well... I guess it's wise to have a backup camera or six

---------- Post added 17-01-21 at 20:36 ----------

Man alive, that's a great price... and you said it was mint or near mint, I think? Great catch!
Yep, £259 from MPB so I also get 6 months warranty, and I talked them into free postage lolol

Anyway, isn't it time you did a sic?
01-17-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #154
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, £259 from MPB so I also get 6 months warranty, and I talked them into free postage lolol
That's a steal. Well done!

I suppose I could... It might be a good idea, even. I've become quite inactive with my photography of late; I mean, I pick up a camera most days, but don't really do much with it. Lockdown, of course, isn't helping

01-17-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
If you browse through the 778 pages of this thread you'll see that outdoor shots, especially open landscapes, are out-numbering indoor roughly 10:1.
Well, since outdoors covers a much larger area than indoors that should be a given.

---------- Post added 17-01-21 at 22:25 ----------

So... to get a whole set of HD DA Limiteds, you'd end up with six KPs? Well... I guess it's wise to have a backup camera or six [...]
Some might say you can never have enough KP's
01-17-2021, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #156
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, anyone's head exploded yet? No? OK good, let me explain. I have the 70, 40, 35 & 21mm limiteds. I feel the 40 & 35mm cover the same ground and I have the same feeling about the 21mm and the 15mm. As the 15mm is the dearest of the limited primes I haven't been tempted but one has slipped into my price window and is so tempting. The trouble is I don't want to spend £250 on a lens I will rarely use, so, what does it do that the 21mm doesn't? Why is it so popular and why does it hold its value? And, what do you use it for?
It's a lot wider than the 21mm. It's for stuff that the 21 isn't wide enough for.
01-17-2021, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #157
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the reenactment group?
The event is called the Shakespeare festival. It's held each year in a few locations around Brisbane, hosted by 4MBS, a subscription classical radio channel. They have several events and presentation of a Shakespearean play, alongside of which is the Prima Spada School of Fencing. You can check them out here: Welcome

I've captured them several times over the years along with the plays, and have a few more images of them here: Actors, Musicians & Street Performers | Flickr

Tas

01-18-2021, 04:51 AM   #158
Pentaxian

With respect, this is kind of comparing apples and oranges. It would make more sense to compare the DA15 with other pocket-sized, optically rectilinear, APS-C DSLR 15mm primes. Canon has nothing that I'm aware of... nor Nikon. Sony has the distinctly entry-level, plastic-not-so-fantastic E 16mm f/2.8 with uninspiring optical performance requiring heavy in-camera correction. Fujifilm has the most relevant comparison with its excellent 16mm f2.8 XF R WR - faster, more consistent edge-to-edge, all metal and WR (!) for very slightly less money (when you compare street prices on both lenses); quite the deal... but of course it's X-mount only and 16mm rather than 15mm. 1mm at the wide end makes a big difference.

I agree with you that the DA15 isn't sharp in the corners or extreme borders - though, as I've already posted, some folks confuse optical rectilinear correction with softness on fine detail. It is, however, the best quality, best performing, most compact, autofocus, APS-C, DSLR-compatible 15mm lens on the market... unless, of course, someone (anyone) can show me a better one. It's certainly the best one available in K-mount
I have read that the Fujinon 16/2.8 actually has a 15mm field of view in the same way as the 23/2 is slightly wider at around 21 or 22mm. I can't confirm any of this of course. I have the 15mm and enjoy using it, though not too often as it's a bit of a speciality lens, so I expect that one day I'll buy the Fujinon as the widest lens I have for the X mount is only 18mm.
01-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #159
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have read that the Fujinon 16/2.8 actually has a 15mm field of view in the same way as the 23/2 is slightly wider at around 21 or 22mm. I can't confirm any of this of course. I have the 15mm and enjoy using it, though not too often as it's a bit of a speciality lens, so I expect that one day I'll buy the Fujinon as the widest lens I have for the X mount is only 18mm.
That's interesting about the field of view...

What's also interesting is that the Fujifilm lens relies on curvilinear distortion correction (although this happens behind the scenes). Perhaps that's where the field of view comes in... without distortion correction, it might be 15mm, but after correction it's effectively 16mm? Plus, I've seen reports and examples of poor flare performance, though I've no personal experience of the lens to confirm this. Both aspects are quite different than the DA15. Both lenses have advantages and disadvantages...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-18-2021 at 05:37 AM.
01-18-2021, 06:05 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd like to see proper comparisons of Pentax and Fuji glass. I'm not planning on switching to or sideloading Fuji but they are a bit similar so it would be interesting to see just out of technical curiosity.
01-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #161
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'd like to see proper comparisons of Pentax and Fuji glass. I'm not planning on switching to or sideloading Fuji but they are a bit similar so it would be interesting to see just out of technical curiosity.
From what I've read, Fujifilm produces some very nice glass, and of course much of it is newer in design than many of the lenses still in the Pentax catalogue. It's worth bearing in mind the difference in flange focal distance between our Pentax (or any other) DSLR platform and Fuji's mirrorless X system means that different optical designs will be possible and/or necessary. As such, some Fuji lens designs wouldn't necessarily be possible at considerably greater flange focal distances... but then, the short flange distance presents challenges as well as benefits too...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-18-2021 at 06:41 AM.
01-18-2021, 06:39 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From what I've read, Fujifilm produces some very nice glass, and of course much of it is newer in design than many of the lenses still in the Pentax catalogue. It's worth bearing in mind the difference in flange focal distance between our Pentax (or any other) DSLR platform and Fuji's mirrorless X system means that different optical designs will be possible and/or necessary. As such, some Fuji lens designs wouldn't necessarily be possible at considerably greater flange focal distances...
Those are basically the reasons why I think a comparison would be interesting.
01-18-2021, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was reviewing EBay sold prices on used copies and found one outlier at $160 USD. it appeared to be a good copy from description, pictures, seller reputation. Needless to say that was a shockingly low price and not the norm. But man some lucky person got a deal! Of course yours came with a warranty which makes it a real deal too.
01-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #164
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

.What is the purpose of the 15mm limited? - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

to serve as an inspiration for this thread ?

01-19-2021, 12:59 AM - 3 Likes   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
.What is the purpose of the 15mm limited? - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

to serve as an inspiration for this thread ?

11 pages, and I bought the lens the question clearly worked

---------- Post added 01-19-21 at 01:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I was reviewing EBay sold prices on used copies and found one outlier at $160 USD. it appeared to be a good copy from description, pictures, seller reputation. Needless to say that was a shockingly low price and not the norm. But man some lucky person got a deal! Of course yours came with a warranty which makes it a real deal too.
Quite often you can get exceptional deals from Japan. My 35mm limited and 18-135mm came from Japan. You just have to factor in duty. What I need to find now is someone selling a 20-40mm for next to nothing to be honest, that lens, even at its cheapest is generally £150-200 above what I can justify and gas can push me to, so i am safe for now. The 35mm f2 is my next target