Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is the purpose of the 15mm limited?

OK, anyone's head exploded yet? No? OK good, let me explain. I have the 70, 40, 35 & 21mm limiteds. I feel the 40 & 35mm cover the same ground and I have the same feeling about the 21mm and the 15mm. As the 15mm is the dearest of the limited primes I haven't been tempted but one has slipped into my price window and is so tempting. The trouble is I don't want to spend £250 on a lens I will rarely use, so, what does it do that the 21mm doesn't? Why is it so popular and why does it hold its value? And, what do you use it for?

01-11-2021, 12:23 PM - 21 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say why it's so popular, but plenty of reviews and posts here show why folks love it (and why some don't).

The DA 15mm Limited is my 'foreground lens': I use it mainly to highlight foreground subjects while showing their environment and context. The lens has a short minimum focus distance of 15 cm, which can be very useful for getting close to a subject. I generally don't use it to capture wide landscape vistas as a subject, but it works for this purpose also.

I also have the DA 21mm Limited and the DA 20-40mm. I find that 15mm offers a significantly wider view than the DA 21, so they are distinct.

Here are several examples:

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-11-2021 at 05:14 PM.
01-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
so, what does it do that the 21mm doesn't?
6 mm of view ?
01-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just go here: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com

I sold mine when I moved to FF but still regret it.

01-11-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I can't say why it's so popular, but plenty of reviews and posts here show why folks love it (and why some don't).

The DA 15mm Limited is my 'foreground lens': I it mainly to highlight foreground subjects while showing their environment and context. The lens has a short minimum focus distance of 15 cm, which can be very useful for getting close to a subject. I generally don't use it to capture wide landscape vistas.

I also have the DA 21mm Limited and the DA 20-40mm. I find that 15mm offers a significantly wider view than the DA 21, so they are distinct.

- Craig
Those are some awesome shots!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I forgot to mention, I have the 10-17mm fisheye, which is lovely, so I do have the extra 6mm more than covered

---------- Post added 01-11-21 at 12:58 PM ----------

The DA 15mm Limited is my 'foreground lens': I use it mainly to highlight foreground subjects while showing their environment and context. The lens has a short minimum focus distance of 15 cm, which can be very useful for getting close to a subject. I generally don't use it to capture wide landscape vistas.

- Craig
These are glorious. I also searched flickr. Some of those images were spectacular

---------- Post added 01-11-21 at 12:58 PM ----------

The DA 15mm Limited is my 'foreground lens': I use it mainly to highlight foreground subjects while showing their environment and context. The lens has a short minimum focus distance of 15 cm, which can be very useful for getting close to a subject. I generally don't use it to capture wide landscape vistas.

- Craig
These are gorgeous
01-11-2021, 01:00 PM - 9 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to mention, I have the 10-17mm fisheye, which is lovely, so I do have the extra 6mm more than covered
I don't have that lens, but understand that it's well liked.

For the DA 15, I could add that I appreciate its flare resistance, colour production, and compact size. I'll often add it to my bag when I'm going out with my DA 20-40 and DA 50-135 combo.

Here's an older image showing off the DA 15 goodness. Just a wee bit of flare, but not bad considering the position of the sun. (A brisk morning after a reasonably heavy snowfall -- Welcome to Canada.)

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-11-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling -- I didn't make it past Grade IV it seems
01-11-2021, 01:09 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The smc DA15 Limited? My only wideangle lens, particularly since I passed on my 18-55 kit zoom to my wife. Actually it borders on ultrawide, but then again not so ultrawide that it would give you too pronounced volume deformations in the corners. The barrel distortion is only mild and not of the hard-to-correct and somewhat ugly "mustachio" type. It has a distinctly curved field, which makes it not the easiest lens to use when you want to achieve sharp corners.

Some of my most common usage scenarios for this lens:
  • emphasis of interesting foreground matter in its wider context
  • tight spaces and interiors
  • close landscapes
  • close reportage
  • "intimate" architecture
  • some interior-framing scenarios
  • dramatic backlit shots
  • images featuring sunbursts (smc version only)
Recent sample shots illustrating some of the above:

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-11-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Scenarios added.
01-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't have that lens, but understand that it's well liked.

For the DA 15, I could add that I appreciate it's flare resistance, colour production, and compact size. I'll often add it to my bag when I'm going out with my DA 20-40 and DA 50-135 combo.

Here's an older image showing off the DA 15 goodness. Just a wee bit of flare, but not bad considering the position of the sun. (A brisk morning after a reasonably heavy snowfall -- Welcome to Canada.)

- Craig
The clarity and crispness in that image is beautiful. I have read where the 15mm renders somewhat magically, also that there are two walkaround trios, 15,35&70 & 21,40&70. This would complete my set. You do know there is a very strong chance I will end up with this lens as for the 10-17, it is lovely and sharp, renders nicely but flares and fringes pretty badly I still love it though
01-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this article discusses the DA Limits including the 15mm

and the differences between the HD and SMC versions

it might be of interest

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and should the OP want to take the time, more might be found here:

QuoteQuote:
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com
01-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this article discusses the DA Limits including the 15mm

and the differences between the HD and SMC versions

it might be of interest

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and should the OP want to take the time, more might be found here:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com
Thanks I am off for a read
01-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's good all round lens. When I travel light with my k-01, I take DA15, DA40 and DA70. They take up little room. The 40 is nice but FOV wise I'm tempted to take my FA28 instead. But the 15 is often useful to me.
01-11-2021, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a comparison of field of view, I just took a couple snaps with my DA 12-24. The first pic is at 21mm, the second at 15mm:

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-19-2021 at 05:35 PM.
01-11-2021, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I cannot say for the DA 15 since I don't own it (nor any other Limited), but you cannot compare focal lenghts from the DA 10-17 Fisheye with rectilinear lenses like the DA 15.

The angle of view of the DA 10-17 set at 17mm is 100° (diagonal) - and of course 180° at 10mm as a true fisheye would!
The angle of view of the DA 15 is 88° (diagonal).

As you can see, the DA 10-17 has a larger angle of view at any setting than the DA 15, so, no, you don't have the focal length covered in the sense of "angle of view", which is the usual meaning people are looking for. I know, I'm not helping.
01-11-2021, 01:49 PM - 11 Likes   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's supposed to be a purpose??