Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #46
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi John

Nice shots ....... as long as they are not blown up to billboard size and viewed with a magnifying glass on the corners .... phew good thats not how I look at them.

Dave

01-11-2021, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a simple person's take...21mm is the widest I would use if likeable people are a key part of the shot.... and about the widest one can shoot with after 4 beers.

The 15mm is great if you are able to think at the time.... and awesome for putting overweight people (only annoying ones) at the image edges.
01-12-2021, 02:49 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
there's supposed to be a purpose??
No. The purpose exists when I see some pictures as the ones showcased in this thread and it is to buy the lens. A great focal length for landscape and architectural photography.
01-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
For a simple person's take...21mm is the widest I would use if likeable people are a key part of the shot.... and about the widest one can shoot with after 4 beers.

The 15mm is great if you are able to think at the time.... and awesome for putting overweight people (only annoying ones) at the image edges.
LOL

Joking aside, that apparent "stretching" of borders and corners on rectilinear lenses is something to watch out for when composing with a wide-angle like the DA15. It can be used to positive effect, but can also have a negative impact on the wrong subject matter... people, for example. It's all a matter of understanding the lens

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-12-2021 at 03:29 AM.
01-12-2021, 03:49 AM - 11 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use the DA 15 as much as I used to because I shoot a lot of full frame shots. I think the reasons to use it are that it is really wide, has excellent contrast, good flare control, and creates really nice looking star bursts out of light sources. The biggest negative is that it really needs to be stopped down to get good edge sharpness.

To me, it is an outdoor, landscape photo lens and does best if used on a tripod.

(A couple of non-star burst shots that show it isn't just a one trick pony).
01-12-2021, 04:05 AM - 15 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see the DA 15 (as others have mentioned) as first, ultra-wide foreground lens (it's sharper edge to edge close-up), second a color and contrast lens (as are all the DA Limiteds), and as a starburst lens (only the SMC version). During the three years it was my only limited, it was my most used lens. It thrives as a specialty landscape and general scenic lens:

01-12-2021, 05:16 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

To me, it is an outdoor, landscape photo lens and does best if used on a tripod.

(A couple of non-star burst shots that show it isn't just a one trick pony).
These are exceptional. I really fancy the close/wide aspect and the colour rendition. I am not really a landscape shooter but I do a few

01-12-2021, 05:17 AM - 5 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

01-12-2021, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I see the DA 15 (as others have mentioned) as first, ultra-wide foreground lens (it's sharper edge to edge close-up), second a color and contrast lens (as are all the DA Limiteds), and as a starburst lens (only the SMC version). During the three years it was my only limited, it was my most used lens. It thrives as a specialty landscape and general scenic lens:

More stunning images. I think it would get quite a bit of use. Buying it is justified I am just waiting for a reply to my offer

---------- Post added 01-12-21 at 05:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

ERM, wow! I love the colour rendition. I think I need this lens
01-12-2021, 05:32 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea, the colors can be pretty good. And you can sneak a person in once in a while.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I have both and I do have difficulty choosing which to bring and which to use despite the significant difference of fov.

The da15 excels at documentary type work where the loss of resolution towards the edges is less critical. Its also very good close up. For landscapes and architecture my copy suffers smearing in the corners a bit to much.

My life would have been easier with just one of the wide daltd. I like the view of the 21 but as I do architecture I sometimes need a wider lens. I love the da15 but Im constantly disappointed with the results. No lens makes me as angry. The size, flare resistance and handling seduces me then the edge resolution lets me down. I am due to what I photograph a bit picky about corner sharpness. No other lens leaves me unsatisfied though.
01-12-2021, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
You are lucky. You have good reasons to get that DA 15 now.

I have both the DA 10-17 and Sigma 10-20. The Sigma at 10mm has almost the same angle of view than the fisheye at 17mm, so the two lenses complement each other very well. But I have no reason to get that DA 15 other than plain Limited LBA, something wife won't understand.
She might when she sees how good it looks on the camera
01-12-2021, 09:45 AM - 7 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
As an owner of this hardly used lens I got some smiles here and now cant wait to go out and shoot with the bloody thing =) My bag now has the KP, 20-40, PLM and the little green 15mm raring to go.
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This is basically my current walking kit - K-3 II, 15 ltd, 20-40, and the PLM. It's a fantastic trio that covers pretty much anything you might encounter.
I have the same three lens ready to go all the time, I can do about everything with those three. Mine is the HD version.

I've noticed and images in the thread confirm, the 15 does so well with color and contrast.

01-12-2021, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

As a result of this thread I'll be using mine today for the first time in years!
01-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every Pentax shooter owes it to themselves to try at least one Limited lens. They are all special. But I don't know that you need to drive yourself crazy collecting them all.

My three favorite lenses:

1. SMC DA 10–17mm fish-eye zoom
2. SMC DA 21mm Limited
3. SMC DA 15mm Limited

I also have the HD 15mm Limited, but I never use it. It's not nearly as cool as my green 15mm Limited. Watch this video from forum member SnappyPic, which happens to feature my 15mm lens.

If you have and like the fish-eye and the 21mm, you can probably get by without the 15mm. The 15mm is very nice however. While the fish-eye is wide it is, well, a fish-eye. So I'm not sure I'd call it a substitute for the 15mm Limited.

---------- Post added 01-12-2021 at 03:07 PM ----------

FWIW the starbursts on the SMC DA 21mm Limited are just as nice as those on the 15mm. They have the same (or very, very similar) aperture designs.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 01-12-2021 at 11:55 AM. Reason: deleted extraneous text