Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 351 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #91
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they could be some " traditionalists " that don't like changes in the " limited " lens

of course, over time, the SMC coatings changed and improved so changes did occur but other than that prior to the HD variant, there was no other changes that I am aware of such as the change in the aperture blades

now the idea of adding a zoom to the concept of " limiteds " ( all primes ) is really hard for me to accept

but who cares about my opinion

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-13-2021 at 03:47 AM.
01-13-2021, 05:27 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Ummm, taking wide-angle pictures?

I had no intention of buying a 15mm Limited but I got one for €300 and I'd be reluctant to sell it now. While the 21mm is a far more useful lens in general, sometimes it's just not wide enough, and 6mm is a big difference at those focal lengths. I've found it to be a very nice and useful addition to my Limited primes and it has gone on travels with me and I've always been glad I took it. I also have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 but would never consider taking that travelling - far too big and heavy. You can see my Flickr album here if you want to see what it can do: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathandmacdonald/albums/72157658796486501

If you're not sure then buy and sell later on if you're not happy. Buying used at that price I don't think you'd lose anything.

I will add my standard 15mm buyer's warning - make sure you get a good copy. I've read of a lot of de-centred copies, some of which never get properly sharp at any aperture. It should be nice and sharp in the centre wide open and the edges should be decent enough. Stopped down to f/8-f/11 it should be pretty sharp out to the corners.
01-13-2021, 05:30 AM   #93
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I only own the HD versions of the DA Limiteds, and I'm mostly very happy with them. I know the earlier SMC versions produce nicer diffraction spikes, but it's not something that concerns me and I'll happily take the better flare performance.

The HD DA20-40 is a strange lens in the line-up, for sure, but it's a master-stroke for some. I don't believe it replaces the HD DA21, 35 and 40, but it certainly provides a "one lens alternative" - with silent AF and WR to boot. It has an awful lot going for it, and is more versatile than its limited focal length range would suggest. Coupled with the 15 and 70, it's quite a formidable kit...
01-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the DA14/15 and 21

I wouldn't compare the DA21 with the DA15/14's.
Aside of size/weight I prefer the DA14 over the DA15.

It allows me better closeups, which of course are very particular with 14mm's but I like them.

For a time when I wanted to travel relatively light with my KP visiting the Baltic-Sea I had just the DA55-300PLM and the DA14 with me. Was a good combination. Superb with the SMC DA21 which is that small that it fits well in the pocket and it's great colours particular blues i.e. sky and water.

I have the DA20-40 and at the beginning I thought the DA20-40 is better than the DA21, I sold it with the DA40 but I bought the SMC DA21 again.
No problems with infinity, it was a late version.

The SMC DA21 also allows for easy starbursts (not so the DA20-40).

01-13-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
they could be some " traditionalists " that don't like changes in the " limited " lens

of course, over time, the SMC coatings changed and improved so changes did occur but other than that prior to the HD variant, there was no other changes that I am aware of such as the change in the aperture blades

now the idea of adding a zoom to the concept of " limiteds " ( all primes ) is really hard for me to accept

but who cares about my opinion
I do!

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Ummm, taking wide-angle pictures?

I had no intention of buying a 15mm Limited but I got one for €300 and I'd be reluctant to sell it now. While the 21mm is a far more useful lens in general, sometimes it's just not wide enough, and 6mm is a big difference at those focal lengths. I've found it to be a very nice and useful addition to my Limited primes and it has gone on travels with me and I've always been glad I took it. I also have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 but would never consider taking that travelling - far too big and heavy. You can see my Flickr album here if you want to see what it can do: DA 15mm f/4 limited | Flickr

If you're not sure then buy and sell later on if you're not happy. Buying used at that price I don't think you'd lose anything.

I will add my standard 15mm buyer's warning - make sure you get a good copy. I've read of a lot of de-centred copies, some of which never get properly sharp at any aperture. It should be nice and sharp in the centre wide open and the edges should be decent enough. Stopped down to f/8-f/11 it should be pretty sharp out to the corners.
I did the deed and bought the lens. I bought it from MPB with a 14day cash back and six months warranty. It was £259, hence why I was suddenly in a quandary. Its the best price I have seen (you can get decent prices from Japan but then there is 20% duty) and its the smc. I think it is lacking the pouch but I can live with that. The things that swung it for me were finding out my fish eye doesn't cover the same ground, seeing such superb examples of ultra wide angle photography and filling a gap in my limited limited collection ( I now have the 15/21/35/40/70mm limiteds in black, so, just a full set in silver and the 31/43&77 to go lol ). Thanks everyone for your help and guidance to making the right decision (which is always to buy ). Time to look at Jonathan's gallery
01-13-2021, 06:57 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Really ?

There must be something wrong with my DA12-24 @ 12mm

The main purpose of the DA15 is to annoy you.
Maybe you're not simple...... like me.
01-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's probably the best lens I never bought. I had choice 21 ltd or 15 ltd. My real on a close out SMC 15 ltd. fell through, I got a second hand 21 ltd. at a great price. Now I own a Rokinin 14 2.8 and a Sigma 8-16. So I have exactly zero need for a 15mm ƒ4 lens.

01-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I did the deed and bought the lens. I bought it from MPB with a 14day cash back and six months warranty. It was £259, hence why I was suddenly in a quandary. Its the best price I have seen (you can get decent prices from Japan but then there is 20% duty) and its the smc.
You are extremely lucky. This price is indeed very good, and only fools would let that go! Congratulations of your new purchase, looking forward to see pictures with that pixie dust everyone is talking about!

I checked in my surroundings, no used SMC DA 15 available, available new for 960 € (!!!). No used HD DA 15 either. HD DA 15 available new for 420 €. Needless to say, my own LBA will have to be put on standby.
01-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It does, I just think Pentaxians were upset that Pentax rounded the aperture blades of the HD version when few people shoot their DA 15s for bokeh anyway.
Bingo. This all day this all night.

For focal lengths over 21mm APS-C, I am Team Rounded Aperture Blades all the way. Bokeh is nice, just not for wide angle stuff.
01-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I only own the HD versions of the DA Limiteds, and I'm mostly very happy with them. I know the earlier SMC versions produce nicer diffraction spikes, but it's not something that concerns me and I'll happily take the better flare performance.
This is my thinking also. I don't often look for diffraction spikes, but I do often appreciate the increase in contrast for many scenes afforded by the development of the HD coatings. And spikes can still be obtained, but perhaps not as exaggerated, or with as much accompanying "glow" around the source. But still effective for such scenes.

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
with silent AF and WR to boot. It has an awful lot going for it, and is more versatile than its limited focal length range would suggest. Coupled with the 15 and 70, it's quite a formidable kit...
As to the DA 20-40mm Ltd, you bet! As stated, it does not actually "replace" the DA 21mm, 40mm, etc. because for one thing size does matter. But for high-class effective convenience, and the WR, silent AF, with such fine build quality, and the versatile framing of a zoom, yet still being very compact, it is a winner and makes for an excellent match with the DA 15mm Ltd. I also often include the HD DA 70mm Ltd as a compact trio. For more range with excellence, instead of the 70mm, in a separate belt holster case I'll have my wonderful DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for a super trio, fast and mostly WR, and still compact for what it it is.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-13-2021 at 06:25 PM.
01-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this all started over the 15, but the 20-40, as many are pointing out, is a real gem too. And you say your credit card is scared? Let's be honest here. Your card is fine - it WANTS to do this, and more! I resisted the 20-40 for a long time thinking why? I have the 15, I have the 43, I have the 16-50, and some nice wide Takumar primes too. Why why why? So happy I caved to the peer pressure and added it to my kit. Beautiful construction, handling, and pixie dust all over the place. So, you're on the right track with the 15 now, and you'll smile big time again when you add the 20-40 to the bag with it.
01-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what does it do that the 21mm doesn't? Why is it so popular and why does it hold its value? And, what do you use it for?
15mm on APS-C gives an 86 degree angle of view which is fairly close to a 21mm on a FF sensor.

That angle of view is probably my second favorite and as illustrated by earlier posts, it's fantastic for distorted close ups of foreground subjects with enough depth of field to show the background. So any foreground and background subjects that show irony (no pun intended on the cannon) or juxtaposition.
01-14-2021, 01:17 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I know this all started over the 15, but the 20-40, as many are pointing out, is a real gem too. And you say your credit card is scared? Let's be honest here. Your card is fine - it WANTS to do this, and more! I resisted the 20-40 for a long time thinking why? I have the 15, I have the 43, I have the 16-50, and some nice wide Takumar primes too. Why why why? So happy I caved to the peer pressure and added it to my kit. Beautiful construction, handling, and pixie dust all over the place. So, you're on the right track with the 15 now, and you'll smile big time again when you add the 20-40 to the bag with it.
I was following Sandy in the sic, he was using the 20-40mm. His results were excellent of course but he found the lens a bit uninspiring. Others have mentioned centering issues, but despite this, it is on my list along with the FA 35mm f2. I think people will always be able to find issues but in my case I am not a sufficiently good photographer for the small issues to spoil one of my images I have been lucky enough to get a 40mm and 15mm limited in the last two months. I am rocking the 40mm in the sic and the sharpness has astonished me. I fully expect the 15mm to do the same (I have been researching how to get the best from ultra wide). I need to get my credit card down before looking for the next limited. I also need to get a job lol. The 20-40 is currently outside my fiscal reach, but then, so was the 15mm. If you wait long enough, a deal comes along. Despite what I said about the 20-40mm, enough of you love it for me to believe I would also love the lens. Like I said, I am an average photographer (although the sic and support from Pentaxians makes me better every day) and don't always scrutinize my work to the cellular level. Wide angle, up to 50mm is where I am happiest. Add that to where I live in the soggy north west of England. All these things lead me directly to the 20-40mm. Its going to happen! But you already knew that didn't you

---------- Post added 01-14-21 at 01:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
15mm on APS-C gives an 86 degree angle of view which is fairly close to a 21mm on a FF sensor.

That angle of view is probably my second favorite and as illustrated by earlier posts, it's fantastic for distorted close ups of foreground subjects with enough depth of field to show the background. So any foreground and background subjects that show irony (no pun intended on the cannon) or juxtaposition.
I have done similar things with my 10-17mm and love the effect so I can't wait. I watched one video where a photographer set his ultrawide up on a low tripod with some off camera flash and started jumping with one foot towards the lens. I am way beyond jumping but it really emphasized the kind of things you can do with ultra wide it should be here by weekend

BTW @BigMacCam you have all HD, mine are all SMC. I would love to say I had a choice but....... I am a starburst fan, so I would quite possibly have gone for green ring anyway.
01-14-2021, 03:08 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Bingo. This all day this all night.

For focal lengths over 21mm APS-C, I am Team Rounded Aperture Blades all the way. Bokeh is nice, just not for wide angle stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This is my thinking also. I don't often look for diffraction spikes, but I do often appreciate the increase in contrast for many scenes afforded by the development of the HD coatings.
I just can understand why diffraction spikes have become a pro rather than con. It's an aberration comparable to ghosting and flare. It's comparable because it ends up covering your subject. Diffraction spikes enlarge the light source so that it covers a larger part of the frame whilst also being very attention grabbin, again ruining the shot. What you end up with is photographs of diffraction spikes... quite limited functionality of a lens.

I fully understand the fun of playing with "bad" lenses. Flare can be fun and I guess even ghosting but I'd rather leave that for vintage lenses or novelty lensbaby type stuff. I understand that many photographers are more interested in making images than photographing a subject but I'm not happy that it seems to have taken over the industry. All reviewers seem to be positive about diffraction spikes these days. It's pure visual effect that you might as well add in Photoshop.
01-14-2021, 03:40 AM   #105
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW @BigMacCam you have all HD, mine are all SMC. I would love to say I had a choice but....... I am a starburst fan, so I would quite possibly have gone for green ring anyway.
My HD DA Limited primes were all bought new in the UK at very significant discounts (I was quite canny and patient in buying each one). If I'd been able to get brand new SMC versions for the same price, I might well have chosen those instead. Used skilfully, the diffraction spikes can look fantastic and quite subtle; better than any attempts I've seen in post-processing. Still, it's not a "feature" I myself would use often, so I'm quite happy with the HD versions.

My HD DA20-40 was bought used, but only barely... The previous owner simply didn't like it and sold it after a few weeks, absolutely "as new", boxed with caps, pouch and paperwork. After a bit of haggling, I got it for a price I simply couldn't refuse, and for what I paid I'm happy to own it - though it's far from my favourite lens...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2021 at 03:47 AM.