Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 351 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2021, 03:50 AM - 9 Likes   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I just can understand why diffraction spikes have become a pro rather than con. It's an aberration comparable to ghosting and flare. It's comparable because it ends up covering your subject. Diffraction spikes enlarge the light source so that it covers a larger part of the frame whilst also being very attention grabbin, again ruining the shot. What you end up with is photographs of diffraction spikes... quite limited functionality of a lens.

I fully understand the fun of playing with "bad" lenses. Flare can be fun and I guess even ghosting but I'd rather leave that for vintage lenses or novelty lensbaby type stuff. I understand that many photographers are more interested in making images than photographing a subject but I'm not happy that it seems to have taken over the industry. All reviewers seem to be positive about diffraction spikes these days. It's pure visual effect that you might as well add in Photoshop.
I guess it is the combination of the diffraction spikes with such little flare that I like. You're shooting at 15mm, so it isn't as though those spikes should dominate an image, but it does feel to me like they can draw attention to one part of the image or another. I guess I feel like it is anything else in photography -- very nice when used carefully, but not so great when used over much.

01-14-2021, 04:34 AM - 5 Likes   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just can understand why diffraction spikes have become a pro rather than con. It's an aberration comparable to ghosting and flare. It's comparable because it ends up covering your subject. Diffraction spikes enlarge the light source so that it covers a larger part of the frame whilst also being very attention grabbin, again ruining the shot. What you end up with is photographs of diffraction spikes... quite limited functionality of a lens.

I fully understand the fun of playing with "bad" lenses. Flare can be fun and I guess even ghosting but I'd rather leave that for vintage lenses or novelty lensbaby type stuff. I understand that many photographers are more interested in making images than photographing a subject but I'm not happy that it seems to have taken over the industry. All reviewers seem to be positive about diffraction spikes these days. It's pure visual effect that you might as well add in Photoshop.
I think it can be very tasteful and add to an image. The sun with diffraction spikes is often or even usually more compelling than an amorphous blob. Like anything you can overdo it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-14-2021, 11:23 AM - 4 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Don't get me started on refraction. Ugh. The other day, I was taking a moody photograph of a grey sky, but the afternoon sun dispersing and refracting through the raindrops put this big multicolored arc through the middle of my shot. Took me forever to tone it all down in Photoshop."
01-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must have a seriously bad case of LBA. I have both SMC and HD versions of the 15, so if I want spikes, I have them. The HD one is what's in my standard carry kit though.

01-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Others have mentioned centering issues, but despite this, it is on my list
I debated a long time on purchasing this lens. One of the comments you hear is about softness wide open. After looking through sample photos here, I decided that the key is a properly centered copy. When the time comes, buy from a place where you can exchange lenses easily to make sure you get a good copy. I'm on the same coast as B&H Photo, so it's easy and quick to exchange a lens if it's not up to snuff. And of note, I seemed to get a properly centered one on the first try.

I completely understand having to budget these things out. I didn't buy them all at once. I started to tally what I've spent a year or so back. No regrets, but wow, it does add up!
01-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That barn shot is lovely, Rondec. Beautiful job balancing all the colors and highlights.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess it is the combination of the diffraction spikes with such little flare that I like. You're shooting at 15mm, so it isn't as though those spikes should dominate an image, but it does feel to me like they can draw attention to one part of the image or another. I guess I feel like it is anything else in photography -- very nice when used carefully, but not so great when used over much.

01-15-2021, 05:41 AM - 6 Likes   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its here and its mint.

A couple of test shots. I haven't calibrated it yet, that's a job for later

01-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #113
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Its here and its mint.

A couple of test shots. I haven't calibrated it yet, that's a job for later

Excellent news... Congratulations!

It's a little tricky to get the AF calibrated exactly because of the depth of field, even wide open... but the good news is, for the same reason, it's not a problem if you don't get it spot on
01-15-2021, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I debated a long time on purchasing this lens. One of the comments you hear is about softness wide open. After looking through sample photos here, I decided that the key is a properly centered copy. When the time comes, buy from a place where you can exchange lenses easily to make sure you get a good copy. I'm on the same coast as B&H Photo, so it's easy and quick to exchange a lens if it's not up to snuff. And of note, I seemed to get a properly centered one on the first try.

I completely understand having to budget these things out. I didn't buy them all at once. I started to tally what I've spent a year or so back. No regrets, but wow, it does add up!
There are copies of the 15mm around which are so de-centred that it's not possible to get a sharp photo out of them at any aperture, so it's very important to be careful, especially if buying used without a guarantee.
01-15-2021, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Excellent news... Congratulations!

It's a little tricky to get the AF calibrated exactly because of the depth of field, even wide open... but the good news is, for the same reason, it's not a problem if you don't get it spot on
Calibrated (I think lol) I found the 40mm difficult to get right but once it was nailed, wowzers! Looking at the pic of Bailey, I am getting sharpness so all is looking good. I just need to photograph a brick wall as per Ismo's suggestion. The thing is, I am going to sic this lens in Feb and photo opportunities are limited. If I start taking it out I will have nothing too photograph in Feb lol
01-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #116
Pentaxian

My opinion was it wasn't a bad lens, but, for our tests, indoors in a convention centre in Toronto, handled ceiling mounted lighting in the convention centre poorly and the distortion was disappointing. That being said, there's nothing seriously wrong with it, and weight and size make it desirable for some. A niche lens not a generalists lens. But if you fit the niche, you can't go wrong with it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-15-2021 at 09:23 AM.
01-15-2021, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my circumstances, I find it great for general usage, because in its obscure storage location in the front accessory pocket of my camera holster case, it makes for compact carrying impossible with other WA lenses. I've gotten some nice spur of the moment shots with it, simply because it was right there, willing and ready to deliver wonderful results! It is so unnoticeable, I forget I have it along unless the need arises.
01-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
Ya know, Ive never done a single lens challenge. That might be a good way to become more in tune with the 15. Or at least know whether to permanently give up on it.
Yup. Put just the 15mm on, go for a walk before sunset, look for something you can get close to. Force yourself to shoot 20 (or 200) pictures. Go home, look at them on a computer screen, then go for the same walk the following evening. Good advice for any lens.

The 15mm is magical, but not easy. If you don't happen to live somewhere with gorgeous mountain views, you'll need to find a way to make the everyday…epic.
01-15-2021, 09:05 PM - 4 Likes   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The purpose of the DA 15 is simple; to take pictures you can't take with the other lenses in your bag. Your photography with an UWA lens will be limited if you have to compensate for flare, your photography will be limited if you need to pack a lens with an oversized front element when you are out for a casual walk, your photography will be limited if you have to wait for the right light to get that certain "sparkle" your eyes can see, but your camera can't seem to capture. The DA 15 should be considered an Unlimited lens; it rewards experimentation and with practice, will let pikers like me take pictures that make strangers say "wow!" Without being obviously different, the DA 15 is not like other lenses. It is truly fun to use.

01-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When people say the DA 15 isn't very sharp, and then someone shares an image like that iced greenery taken at f4.5 which is "just off" wide open... well, I call shenanigans on all that.

Great shots, hope the lens treats you sell, Cerebum.