Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Refurbishing lenses

Hi all, I had a look and this does not appear to be covered elsewhere, but what exactly is a "refurbished lens" as sold by stores?

Also, does anyone have suggestions as how/where to go to correct/repair faults on lenses - I have a lens with a scratched front element and want to do something about it. Where do people go for repairs (cost effective is always nice)?

11-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't speak to refurbed lenses specifically, but with electronics the word means absolutely nothing. Some electronics retailers call any customer return a refurb, and sell it and ship it out as such without any testing or repairs of the item. Others will do a thorough inspection and remanufacture of the item to make it truly like new. So I'd strongly suggest finding out what a refurb means to the particular company you're considering buying a refurb lens from.

With a scratched element, I don't think there is much resurfacing of lenses these days. So the question is whether the lens is in current production, and if you can get parts for that lens, or if you can get another lens with working parts for less than the cost of replacement plus repair. I would expect that, unless you have an exceptional lens, replacement costs less than parts plus repair. But I don't have any direct experience here.
11-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Normally, refurbished means returned to as near as new condition as practical and meets the manufacturer's specifications. If the hotshoe broke off and was replaced, for example, that would be a refurb.

For service, I would contact the manufacturer first, unless there was some other licenced, authorized third-party repair center handy.