Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I'm interested in getting an inexpensive 28mm lens for the KP, as I think that gets me closest to 40mm equivalent, which is a focal length I really like. I like small primes, but I'm willing to experiment with anything if it's inexpensive. Do you have experience with a 28mm that you like, and why?
The FA28 f/2.8 is the one Pentax lens that I sold and very much regret selling. Slightly 'romantic' wide open, but sharp as anything from f/4. I have the both the K and the M 28 f/3.5s. Everybody says the K is better, but to be honest I can't tell the difference. They are both very good, and fun to use.

02-03-2021, 10:41 AM - 4 Likes   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 + FA 28 mm f/2.8 AL. Who can ask for more ?

02-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #108
Pentaxian

On my K-70, top preference is the Tamron Adaptall2, which Stevebrot mentioned on the first page, and are generally less than $100, just shading the Pentax M 28mm f3.5.

I am also running some sharpness tests on the Sigma 30mm f1.4, and so far it seems very impressive, but a bit larger/heavier. This tends to sell below its intrinsic value, maybe because it is not a common focal length and the filter size is different. It is an EX lens, so top spec.
02-06-2021, 06:58 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gary: The reason I never went looking for a Sigma 30 f1.4 are all the stories of poor AF functionality. I think both the 30 EX DG and 30 Art versions are avoided for this reason. The 30 DC DN version that came after the Art for DSLR lenses actually did get pretty decent with AF for cameras like the Sony E-mount APS-C family. And these days they're pretty cheap.

In the end I'm glad I went with the Sigma 28 EX DG instead.

02-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #110
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Maybe it’s been covered but is there a “hidden gem” (ie cheap) 28mm lens out there
For the "hidden gem" bit... I can recommend the likes of my "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, but not sure if she qualifies for "ie cheap" part of the statement.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Shift-Lens.html

But it can produce fine results, I use it odd bit of real estate work that I do occasionally... like this example.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Gary: The reason I never went looking for a Sigma 30 f1.4 are all the stories of poor AF functionality. I think both the 30 EX DG and 30 Art versions are avoided for this reason. The 30 DC DN version that came after the Art for DSLR lenses actually did get pretty decent with AF for cameras like the Sony E-mount APS-C family. And these days they're pretty cheap.

Fair call. I can't say I have any problems with the AF on the Sigma, but I shoot mainly outdoors, which would be the least difficult for the AF. I didn't really look to buy this lens, it was offered very cheap by the guy from whom I bought the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, which was also cheap. I would never have bought the 30mm if over AUD$150, since I have the Adaptall2 and the M 28mm f3.5.

Like Pepperberry Farm, I prefer the 24mm focal length on APS-C sensors, or 35mm.
02-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

The 30mm f1.4 DC DN "contemporary" version on m4/3 is fantastic, one of the best bang for buck lenses in that system. Wish the same thing was available for Pentax DSLR.

02-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Like Pepperberry Farm, I prefer the 24mm focal length on APS-C sensors, or 35mm.
You can add stevebrot to that short list. Edit: For 24x36mm FF...love 28mm and 35mm; and like 24mm...not sure yet about the recent purchase 14mm yet...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
02-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #114
Pentaxian

I'll start by saying that my Sigma 30 1.4 Art basically killed my interest in any other 28-31mm lenses. It's larger and heavier than vintage lenses, I wish it were a bit smaller. But its performance justifies it being my go-to for that range.

But the one other lens I'll use sometimes is the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5. The reason being the absolutely wild colors that it can produce. It's a fantastic lens for fall pictures, and sharper than any 28mm f/2.8 lens I've ever used. I'm sure the K version is better, from what I've seen the microcontrast in that one is really superb. But I'm not sure it would give me the wild fall colors that the M 28 3.5 can give so effortlessly...

I've also had the following:
-Sears 28mm f/2.8 made by Tokina. Decent sharpness but any source of light near the front glass, and it flares and loses contrast to the point that it's unusable. So I would avoid all the cheap third party 28mm f/2.8 lenses, though I have heard some good things about the Sigma Mini-wide. If I were to buy third party 28mm lenses I'd stick to the more "premium" offerings - the f/2.5 and f2 lenses.

-SMC-M and SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 - The M version, to me, wasn't as bad as I had heard, it was quite decent in fact - but I only had a K20D at the time. The A, while it was sharper stopping down, just didn't justify keeping when I thought the Rikenon XR 28 2.8 was a tiny bit better, so I sold it. I thought the M 28 2.8 had more pleasing colors than the A version, a bit more saturated. But I'm very fold of the M series coatings, I think they strike the right balance of contrast and saturation where the lens sort of "gets out of the way" and what you get is just a beautiful, natural looking scene.

-Rikenon XR 28 2.8 - I still have this lens though it doesn't get much use anymore. I used to think it's a nice, sharp lens but after I got the M 28 3.5 which is sharper, I now think it's just ok. I won't sell mine because the filter is bent and kind of ugly, so it's probably not worth anything (though it'll still take a filter).
02-12-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'll start by saying that my Sigma 30 1.4 Art basically killed my interest in any other 28-31mm lenses. It's larger and heavier than vintage lenses, I wish it were a bit smaller. But its performance justifies it being my go-to for that range.

But the one other lens I'll use sometimes is the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5. The reason being the absolutely wild colors that it can produce. It's a fantastic lens for fall pictures, and sharper than any 28mm f/2.8 lens I've ever used. I'm sure the K version is better, from what I've seen the microcontrast in that one is really superb. But I'm not sure it would give me the wild fall colors that the M 28 3.5 can give so effortlessly...

I've also had the following:
-Sears 28mm f/2.8 made by Tokina. Decent sharpness but any source of light near the front glass, and it flares and loses contrast to the point that it's unusable. So I would avoid all the cheap third party 28mm f/2.8 lenses, though I have heard some good things about the Sigma Mini-wide. If I were to buy third party 28mm lenses I'd stick to the more "premium" offerings - the f/2.5 and f2 lenses.

-SMC-M and SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 - The M version, to me, wasn't as bad as I had heard, it was quite decent in fact - but I only had a K20D at the time. The A, while it was sharper stopping down, just didn't justify keeping when I thought the Rikenon XR 28 2.8 was a tiny bit better, so I sold it. I thought the M 28 2.8 had more pleasing colors than the A version, a bit more saturated. But I'm very fold of the M series coatings, I think they strike the right balance of contrast and saturation where the lens sort of "gets out of the way" and what you get is just a beautiful, natural looking scene.

-Rikenon XR 28 2.8 - I still have this lens though it doesn't get much use anymore. I used to think it's a nice, sharp lens but after I got the M 28 3.5 which is sharper, I now think it's just ok. I won't sell mine because the filter is bent and kind of ugly, so it's probably not worth anything (though it'll still take a filter).
I'd like to get a f1.4 lens for the KP, I had the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC Contemporary for M4/3 and it was amazing, I think the KP's out of focus areas generally look very good with the way the accelerator handles noise in low-contrast, low-detail areas, so a large aperture should produce some really nice and creamy bokeh.
02-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to get a f1.4 lens for the KP, I had the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC Contemporary for M4/3 and it was amazing, I think the KP's out of focus areas generally look very good with the way the accelerator handles noise in low-contrast, low-detail areas, so a large aperture should produce some really nice and creamy bokeh.
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for K mount would be an ideal f/1.4 for you I believe, assuming you want that focal length. Another consideration at f/1.4 is the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. Pricier is the DA* 55mm f/1.4 that I just got and pairs very well with my KP. I sold off my FA 50 f/1.4, as well as my Sigma 30 f/1.4 (EX, not the newer contemporary version), but I missed the f/1.4 aperture, so I just got the DA* 55. Love it so far!
02-24-2021, 06:38 AM - 4 Likes   #117
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Alternative Use

What Are Your Experiences with 28mm Lenses?
Here's another thought for you on the 28mm... a wee pano shot with my "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, shifted fully right then fully left (11mm) to make a 11593 x 4889 image.

02-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. I often use a 50mm for multiple exposure panos. Never tried the 28mm. Maybe will as I really don't use my 28mm lens very much.
02-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #119
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Never tried the 28mm
Remember this was using the "easy mans" pano technique using a shift lens.
02-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #120
Pentaxian

I never used 28mm much on apsc.
Too slow to produce as much of an isolation effect even with its equivalent focal length of 42mm (which is that of the 43ltd on FF).
Neither was it wide enough on apsc for a lot of the landscapes I do (or rather mostly cityscapes where I live).
I tended towards 24/2.8 as it at least provided that wideness (ie. 35mm equivalent) and with the same f-stop to provide some sense of spatial relationship between subject and environment. (for people shots)
For landscapes, again, 24mm seems wider (for my needs)

On FF though, it all changes and all of a sudden, 28mm is wide enough and with the K28/3.5, it my go to high quality wide angle lens.
I still like the 24mm (and other the 20mm) on FF though as its does offer some advantage over 28mm like being wide enough for most natural landscapes and at a sweet spot where hyperfocal distance is highly achievable stopped to up to f11. The 28mm will often need focus stacking to keep foregound and bkgnd sharp (or a good compromise) (in the context of not going f16 and higher ).