Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some time has been spent doing some extensive testing of my F 28 and A 28mm's, as 1. I have been puzzled by the difference in results despite the same optical formula and 2. I really would like an A 28mm to perform as well as the F model, preferring MF lenses and physically the A is such a sweet one.

What I have found is that the A can be as sharp as the F at all apertures, but your focusing has to be bang on. It appears the AF of the F is more reliable than my eyes and manually focusing, at least when using a standard screen. My K3 has a Focusscreens.com cut down Canon micro-prism screen installed and the keeper rate as far as focusing goes is much higher now. I still experience unreliable exposures with the A though.

As a self confessed 28mm junkie on APSC, all this experimentation has convinced me to think that I need (Ha! Ha!) a M 28mm f3.5. Unfortunately they seem to have become quite rare and relatively expensive. Hopefully supply issues will improve as lockdowns start to end.

04-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #122
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Some time has been spent doing some extensive testing of my F 28 and A 28mm's, as 1. I have been puzzled by the difference in results despite the same optical formula and 2. I really would like an A 28mm to perform as well as the F model, preferring MF lenses and physically the A is such a sweet one.

What I have found is that the A can be as sharp as the F at all apertures, but your focusing has to be bang on. It appears the AF of the F is more reliable than my eyes and manually focusing, at least when using a standard screen. My K3 has a Focusscreens.com cut down Canon micro-prism screen installed and the keeper rate as far as focusing goes is much higher now. I still experience unreliable exposures with the A though.

As a self confessed 28mm junkie on APSC, all this experimentation has convinced me to think that I need (Ha! Ha!) a M 28mm f3.5. Unfortunately they seem to have become quite rare and relatively expensive. Hopefully supply issues will improve as lockdowns start to end.
Try Live view and see if you miss focus. (focus peaking on) Easy-as with a 28mm.
04-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Try Live view and see if you miss focus. (focus peaking on) Easy-as with a 28mm.
Already tried that - no joy, and to my mind negates the point of an OVF.
04-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you need to calibrate your camera's AF?
It will change where the focus confirmation light calls it good.
As my eyes age, I'm more reliant on that than I'd like to admit...

-Eric

04-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #125
Pentaxian

I recently picked up a Pentax-A 28mm and have also had a terrible time with the manual focus.

Focusing to 0 feet, then slowly focus towards infinity and stopping as soon as the red assist light flashes works well for me.

It’s not quick, but it netted more keepers today.

Last edited by trixtroll; 04-17-2021 at 07:08 PM.
04-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #126
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also found the A28 challenging to use. The issues that I find most difficult are the short focus throw that makes it hard to nail focus and this is particularly bad towards infinity. In talking with others I get the impression that this lens works better as a walk around street lens than it does for landscapes for example.
04-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #127
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry but I don't understand these issues. I find the A28 and the Tak Bayonet 28mm the easiest of lenses to focus.
Have you checked that your lenses are achieving infinity?
Have you checked that they are not stopping past infinity. (my A50 1.7 does).
If they are stopping nicely at infinity how hard can it be to take a landscape shot?
Even at f4 anything more than say 40 meters (arguably) can be considered infinity so just smack the lens to the end.
I tend to use my 28mm lenses at the open end and maybe that is the difference?
In Liveview with these sharp lenses used open the focus peaking is strong and obvious.

04-18-2021, 05:44 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I recently picked up a Pentax-A 28mm and have also had a terrible time with the manual focus.

Focusing to 0 feet, then slowly focus towards infinity and stopping as soon as the red assist light flashes works well for me.

It’s not quick, but it netted more keepers today.
That’s odd since the red light isn’t for focus confirmation. It only shows where focus is being attempted. The green hexagon is what shows if you are focused. However the red light does light up earlier than the green hexagon so maybe for your lens that’s a more reliable indicator of focus?
04-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I'm interested in getting an inexpensive 28mm lens for the KP, as I think that gets me closest to 40mm equivalent, which is a focal length I really like. I like small primes, but I'm willing to experiment with anything if it's inexpensive. Do you have experience with a 28mm that you like, and why?
I guess I never really answered your question on my previous post.

I’ve had two 28mm primes and agree that it’s a very nice focal on the KP.

My first was a Sears 28mm F2.8 and they look to be around $30 on eBay. It provided very nice images when shooting on Tri-X 400, but not so much on digital. I tried it on my (former) K10 and the contrast and colors were always poor.

I currently have a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 mounted on my KP and the images are much nicer, but I’m struggling with manual focus. That could entirely be a user error or lack of calibration. I paid $59 and the aperture control contact makes it so much nicer to use.
04-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I guess I never really answered your question on my previous post.

I’ve had two 28mm primes and agree that it’s a very nice focal on the KP.

My first was a Sears 28mm F2.8 and they look to be around $30 on eBay. It provided very nice images when shooting on Tri-X 400, but not so much on digital. I tried it on my (former) K10 and the contrast and colors were always poor.

I currently have a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 mounted on my KP and the images are much nicer, but I’m struggling with manual focus. That could entirely be a user error or lack of calibration. I paid $59 and the aperture control contact makes it so much nicer to use.
Thanks, I did try an M 28mm for a bit, but didn't find the IQ to be particularly good - it reminded me why I don't typically like to manually focus with modern digital cameras. The focus confirmation in the KP is nice, but I find I've turned slightly past by the time my brain registers the green light is on.
04-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #131

Photos: Gallery
I had the Pentax K 28mm f3.5. It was a decent manual focus lens but very difficult to focus properly. I hardly ever used it and had to let go of it.
04-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #132
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cmon guys if you apply a circle of confusion (coc) of .005mm to a 28mm at f4 and focus at 40 metres then everything between 20 metres and infinity has a maximum coc of .005mm . This is the size of a K-1 or K5 pixel and is actually 1/6 of the standard coc applied to full frame.
The issue is more - how can you miss focus?
Time to find another reason for soft images - not just focusing.
Attached Images

04-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save your money and save for a FA31, it'll work out cheaper in the long run. @rparmar had a massive thread years ago on the various Vivitar 28s - some were pretty good but none got really close.
04-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #134
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Cmon guys if you apply a circle of confusion (coc) of .005mm to a 28mm at f4 and focus at 40 metres then everything between 20 metres and infinity has a maximum coc of .005mm . This is the size of a K-1 or K5 pixel and is actually 1/6 of the standard coc applied to full frame.The issue is more - how can you miss focus?Time to find another reason for soft images - not just focusing.
Everything in that range may be in focus, but it doesn't mean everything in that range will be sharp.
04-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #135
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Everything in that range may be in focus, but it doesn't mean everything in that range will be sharp.
Then it is not focusing that is the issue.