Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2021, 08:33 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

I got an amazing bargain

I've been living in Singapore for 18 months now. It's a great place, I love it here, however Pentax gear is hard to acquire and is relatively expensive. My plan was to travel back to Australia once or twice a year, and I figured I could always bring back Pentax gear from there. Yeah, that plan hasn't aged well.

Anyway, the thread on the forum about Aussie prices increasing motivated me to check local prices here in Singapore again. I was a bit bored on Wednesday evening, so I spent a couple of minutes on my phone. I've been mulling over the DFA 70-210/4 so I had a look, and this led me pretty much directly to Amazon. The price was not bad, but in the other items pane I saw what looked like a DFA 70-200/2.8 for a ridiculously low price. I thought it must be a scam. Checked the seller - Amazon Asia Pacific Holdings... OK, seemed legit. Checked the condition - New... So I ended up staring at my phone, prevaricating for a good 5 minutes. They only had one left in stock, maybe they were trying to get rid of it. Bugger it, even if it is a scam it's too good a price.

Long story short(-ish). I've had a brand new DFA 70-200/2.8 just dropped off to me at an unbelievable price. I feel like I've won the lottery.

And the price - SGD $947.62. That's USD $715.16 or EUR 588.45. Now to begin playing with it.

01-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zowie! Such a deal.
01-14-2021, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whoa!!! How good is that!
Someone at Amazon may have made a mistake - maybe now looking for a job.

(on back order at Pentax Australia at $2939 ($USD2282.50))

Last edited by rod_grant; 01-14-2021 at 08:43 PM.
01-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen some killer deals from Amazon on lenses when they are down to the last few in stock. Congrats!

01-14-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I've been living in Singapore for 18 months now. It's a great place, I love it here, however Pentax gear is hard to acquire and is relatively expensive. My plan was to travel back to Australia once or twice a year, and I figured I could always bring back Pentax gear from there. Yeah, that plan hasn't aged well.

Anyway, the thread on the forum about Aussie prices increasing motivated me to check local prices here in Singapore again. I was a bit bored on Wednesday evening, so I spent a couple of minutes on my phone. I've been mulling over the DFA 70-210/4 so I had a look, and this led me pretty much directly to Amazon. The price was not bad, but in the other items pane I saw what looked like a DFA 70-200/2.8 for a ridiculously low price. I thought it must be a scam. Checked the seller - Amazon Asia Pacific Holdings... OK, seemed legit. Checked the condition - New... So I ended up staring at my phone, prevaricating for a good 5 minutes. They only had one left in stock, maybe they were trying to get rid of it. Bugger it, even if it is a scam it's too good a price.

Long story short(-ish). I've had a brand new DFA 70-200/2.8 just dropped off to me at an unbelievable price. I feel like I've won the lottery.

And the price - SGD $947.62. That's USD $715.16 or EUR 588.45. Now to begin playing with it.
Mate, you've done well. It's a good lens at full price I reckon.

Though the recent jump in prices in Oz is scary so I may have to rethink that statement.

But enough of that, find some subject to get out and capture then share them with us.

And enjoy some of that superb cuisine for us too.

Tas
01-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I got a good price on the DFA* 70-200, too, but not as good as yours. I think mine was a mixup with the price of the DFA 24-70. The 70-200 is one of my most used lenses, despite the weight. Enjoy it; perfect for Singapore street scenes.
01-15-2021, 04:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on getting such an outstanding bargain! You enjoyment of this exceptional lens will be even sweeter!

01-15-2021, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'll give you $948 for it.
01-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hooray for you
01-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I ended up staring at my phone, prevaricating for a good 5 minutes.
That's usually the time it takes someone else to be faster than you. When you see such a great deal, you should already know for a long time how much you are willing to pay for it and then it's just a thing of verifying if the seller is genuine or if it is too good to be true.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've seen some killer deals from Amazon on lenses when they are down to the last few in stock. Congrats!
That's something I have seen (and profited from) myself, for example with my HD DA 40 for 250€. In comparison to this 70-200 bargain it's not in the same league, but it has been the all time low price for the lens here.