Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #1

Lens advice for kx or k50

Hi, am new here and very amateur. Looking for the best walk around lens for a kx or k50 Do not care for the 18-55, been using my 50-200, much better. But, am looking for a decent walkabout lens. Actually will be using this on my k50, have both. Not into spending a bunch.

01-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend the 16-85mm. It's a phenomenal lens and will do better than both the 18-55 and 55-200mm and the respective focal lengths.

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

A $200 cheaper option, that also gives you more reach at the expense of performance, is the 18-135mm:

Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Both lenses are an exceptional value however, and it's hard to go wrong. Well worth the investment, even for when you upgrade your cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Logman Quote
Hi, am new here and very amateur. Looking for the best walk around lens for a kx or k50 Do not care for the 18-55, been using my 50-200, much better. But, am looking for a decent walkabout lens. Actually will be using this on my k50, have both. Not into spending a bunch.
It might depend on what you are shooting. A very good lens is the DA 55-300 PLM, it will work on the K-50 with the latest firmware, but not on the Kx. It is the fastest autofocus lens in the Pentax lineup. Another could be the 18-135, which is an improvement over the 18-55. The DA 20-40 Limited is a fanatastic lens that you may consider a "walk around", but it may be out of your price range, unless you could find a deal on a used one. Both of those lenses are weather resistant, which is good on the K-50, not needed for Kx, but still good lenses. Or you might go for the DA 35 2.4, a nice nice inexpensive prime. Or to go even cheaper, there are lot of used lenses. A couple I would recommend are the SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF], which also can be badged as Tamron or even Promaster, and the Pentax-F 35-70.
01-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly recommend the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens. It is so much better than the kit lenses you now have. In fact, I've had those myself, because of their being cheap, especially when bought with a camera body. The DA 18-55 is long gone, given away with my old K-r body, and the DA 50-200 just sits, as my HD 55-300mm WR lens is far better. The DA 18-135mm is really a very good lens, very versatile with exceptionally fast, accurate, silent AF and fine image quality (IQ). For sharpness, it delivers in the excellent rating in the central part of the frame through nearly its entire zoom range, and then very good, with the corners of the image being its main criticism. But even that is mainly at its longer zoom settings, where this is usually of much less importance. It is good for closeup shots also. Check the thread- "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" and start with the last page (most recent) first and work backwards.

I've had mine for around 10 years, and although I also have some high-end lenses, such as the DA 20-40mm Ltd, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, combined with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for when I need the greater aperture range at the highest quality level, I still very often make use of my DA 18-135mm DC WR because of its amazing compactness for the zoom range, its versatility making for less lens-changing, and it really can deliver quality results.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-17-2021 at 07:10 PM.
01-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other options not yet mentioned; the Sigma 17-50 and 17-70's are both pretty well respected and prices are great for what you get.

I'm still really happy with my 18-135 though.
01-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

18-135 and the 55-300plm....gets most things done.
01-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

other than " having fun " with your photography

what are your photographic goals

what is your budget

are you looking for new or willing to use " experienced " equipment

if " experienced " don't forget to look at the forums' marketplace " buy/sell "

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

don't forget you can find " user reviews " and " in depth reviews " under " lenses " above

follow the links to find out information:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
https://mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.htm

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

01-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

What's wrong with the 18-55?
01-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am quite sure a PLM lens will not AF with the K-x, and maybe not with the K-50.
01-17-2021, 11:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am quite sure a PLM lens will not AF with the K-x, and maybe not with the K-50.
I don't think AF is the problem, but setting the aperture to anything other than wide open won't be be possible with the K-x at least.

---------- Post added 01-18-2021 at 12:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
18-135 and the 55-300plm....gets most things done.
But not on a K-x at least with regards to the 55-300.
01-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much is "a bunch"?

If spending less than "a bunch" means a limit of say $250, it is hard to go past a second hand DA 18-135 as "a decent walkabout lens". That is exactly what it is, even if you walk around in the rain.

(More in my recent review here: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database)

If you need something with more reach (e.g. for wildlife) as well, get a HD-DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM if you can afford it (and accept that if you use it on the K-x it will only be able to shoot wide open) or a second hand DA or DA-L 55-300 f4-5.8 if you can't. The latter models start from around $100.

The marketplace here is a good way to buy.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is not correct on either score. Let's be clear about this. The 55-300 PLM lens will autofocus on either the K-x or the K-50. The issue is aperture control. There was a firmware update for the K-50 (and K-S1, K-S2, K-3 and K-3ii) which provides aperture control for KAF4 lenses such as the DA 55-300 PLM. There was no similar firmware update for the K-5 series and earlier camera (such as the K-x). That means that the PLM lens will always shoot wide open on those cameras. As Norm has demonstrated elsewhere, the PLM is so good wide open that it is still a viable option on the K-5 series and earlier models, if you mainly use it for wildlife.
Hi, am new here and very amateur.
A word of caution. A lot of inexperienced users fall into the trap of thinking that kit lenses are their problem and are disappointed when upgrading doesn't making them more pleased with their images. The 18-55 - even the old versions - can produce quite good images. Before you spend money on a new lens, try working on your basic skills, like stance, focus accuracy and understanding the exposure triangle. Also try shooting RAW and learning the basics of post-processing. This will allow you to get the best from your images. Once you have done that, you will be better placed to work out an upgrade path for your gear.

Last edited by Des; 01-20-2021 at 04:54 PM.
01-18-2021, 05:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What don't you like about the 18-55?
What do you like about the 50-200?
What is spending a bunch of money?

You asked for the "best". With most things there are trade offs. Understanding what you value helps with people giving recommendation

A quick answer without really understanding you needs is the 18-135. But it is shorter than the lens you say you like so it might not be long enough
01-18-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

The most budget friendly is the screwdrive version of the Sigma 17-70. If you want to spend a little more, and get more long end, WR and a silent focusing motor, the Pentax 18-135 is the logical choice.

These are both wonderful lenses. The Sigma is a little sharper, and focuses much closer, but the Pentax has nicer colors and better flare resistance. If you buy used for a fair price, buy both and resell whichever you like less. I kept both and use them differently.

The Pentax 16-85 is a little better than either of these, but it is a lot more money and bigger as well.

As an alternative the Sigma 17-50/2.8 or Pentax 16-50/2.8 get you a larger aperture, and these are available used for very reasonable prices now and then.
01-18-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot see recommending the Pentax 16-50 when the Sigma 17-50 exists when you look at pricing, IQ, and reliability.

I think aslyfox had good questions about what the shooter actually wants to get with their next lens purchase.
01-18-2021, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

My walk around is the 18-135. Quiet AF, a really dependable and fast DC AF motor. WR if you take it for a long hike and get caught out in the weather.

It was the first DC lens. It's a faster more modern, more reliable AF motor than anything else close to it's age. In terms of AF performance, it was the first Pentax to compare to competitive lenses from other brands, SDM being painfully slow.

It's rated excellent at any focal length in the centre, and at ƒ5.6. That crazy good for a non DA* lens of this type. You just can't get that in a lot of consumer lenses. So in terms of performance, it's actually a very good set of compromises.

Max. magnification .24x, excellent for pseudo macro.

I've taken thousands of keepers with it.

The APS-c killer budget combo is the DA 16-85 and DA 55-300 PLM if you're building for the future, and the PLM works fine on non-KAF4 lenses because it's base apertures are good for general work., especially at the long end where ƒ6.3 is perfect for telephoto on APS_c. After those two you can dress the lack of faster apertures with primes, and have the best of both worlds.

My question would be, where would you like to be 5 years from now. I'm still using my 18-135 10 years later. It can be part of the plan if you're looking for cheaperr glass you'll still be using, well into the future, that's fast focussing, WR and reliable.

Given it's overall reliability, second had , it will be a great deal.

But you still have to answer, where do you walk around? Indoors (a 2.8 lens would be better) out doors, (ƒ3.5 to 5.6) will do. Out doors, once you have a n 18-135 you have no reason to upgrade further, although if you want the best available a DA 16 to 85 is the best overall but that "bestness" was created by reducing the range of the FL, and it is more expensive, both second hand and new.

I personally do not recommend non WR lenses for walk around use. So I'd cut out a lot of the suggested lenses right off the top. And the 16-50 SDM is probably the worst option in terms of reliability. I also don't recommend 2.8 zooms for indoor use, when so many sub ƒ2 primes exist. After all, if you need an 2.8 instead of an ƒ4 lens, then you'd probably also benefit quite a bit from a sub ƒ2 prime more than an ƒ2.8 zoom.

So for me the answer is simple. Get a second hand 18-135 and be done with it. If you can afford it a DA 16-85.

Last edited by normhead; 01-18-2021 at 08:44 AM.