Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #1

Pentax 12-24mm vs Sigma 10-20 and others

Hi I am looking to get a ultra wide zoom lens for my K20D and read all the reviews and still confused. Any opinions on which is the best ultra wide zoom that is well matched with the K20D?
Thanks

11-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Hi I am looking to get a ultra wide zoom lens for my K20D and read all the reviews and still confused. Any opinions on which is the best ultra wide zoom that is well matched with the K20D?
Thanks
I have owned both lenses. I am using the DA 12-24 f4.0 lens. It is in my opinion superior to the Sigma 10-20.

Ben
11-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Thanks
Many people prefer the Sigma 10-20 for the wider view, but Benjikan is right when he says the 12-24 is superior. I have read so many comparison threads where these two lenses were considered equals. Well, after owning them both I find those threads ridiculous. The 12-24 has much better rendering, color, and it's build quality is so much better that it makes the Sigma look pitiful. One hard lesson I have learned is that one lens recommendation from a pro like Benjikan is worth a 100 random comments from hobby shooters. Sorry if that sounds elitist!
One other thing: My Sigma 10-20 did not perform as well on my K20d as it did on my K10d. Maybe it was just my copy, but it was just not up to snuff on the 20d.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 11-16-2008 at 11:32 PM.
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use my Sigma 10-20 as all my other lenses: it either delivers good results and survives occassional abuse or it will be thrown out. So far it did well and survived my abuse. I cannot compare it to the Pentax 12-24, because I don't own it. But at least the copy of the Sigma 10-12 I have, is much better, than I expected. It works flawlessly on the K10 and the K20. Build is astonishingly lightweight. This is a typical occurance, when comparing Sigma lenses and those of Pentax. This is also the reason, why I prefer the Sigma 70-200/2.8 over the Pentax 80-200/2.8 - the latter simply being too heavy and to bulky for my taste.

Nevertheless all the Sigma EX lenses I have so far perform excellent and despite being plasticky, will also withstand my daily mechanical abuse.

Another point in my decision for the Sigma - in fact the most important point - was the considerably wider angle of view. As I already had other wide angle lenses (Pentax primes like the 15mm, 20mm etc. and a Sigma zoom 15-30mm), I needed to extend on the wide end - and the Sigma simply offered more, than the Pentax.

The only drawback is, that it is slow, compared to either the Pentax 12-24 and the new Tamron 10-24. I have no idea, why Sigma couldn't manage a faster lens in the same package, when Tamron is able to do that. On the other hand, I haven't seen any number of images from the Tamron, so I don't know, whether the speed (aperture-wise) goes at the expense of quality or not.

These are my thoughts and experiences - other's may differ.

Ben

11-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've used the Tokina 12-24 mounted on a D80 and I absolutely loved the output. So much so, I've included it in my "to buy" list.
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't really compare since I don't own DA12-24.
But I do have sigma 10-20 and I'm very pleased with it. At 10mm you have to be really caruful with framing to avoid distortions, but if you get it right, this lens is very rewarding. It's sharp and renders really well. DA12-24 is reportedly better (sharper and maybe tad better colours) but is alse quite prone to purple fringing. And most importantly, when I was buying, Pentax was 2x the price of Sigma. Sure 10-20 is not the best lens, but taking price/perfomance ratio into account, it's hard to beat.
BR
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hand held, f9.5 at 10mm... Yeah the sigma sucks

Actually this picture does have a fair amount of distortion (it is at 10mm!), and would of benefited from going through "PTlens" before posting...

Last edited by lbam; 11-17-2008 at 10:31 AM.
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
jeffkpotter

I pretty much expected this because the Sigma 10-20 has a large following. It was my favorite lens for over a year or so I totally understand the love and affection. It is indeed a remarkable lens, but it is not very durable and if you punish it you will find out. The annoying pink color cast of Sigma lenses is unavoidable and hard to correct. If you have a cloth palate, you will not know what I am talking about, so go with the cheaper Sigma. If you are a connoisseur then stick with the Pentax. How refined is your taste? That is the ultimate question. Am I an elitist, yeah you bet! Does the Sigma suck? No way. But what are your standards? ...and what are your personal needs? If you can't spend more, that's a pretty big factor. I bought the Sigma and was elated, but in the end I was forced to go with the with the Pentax. A bitter lesson hard learned. It cost me. Very nice shot Ibam.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 11-18-2008 at 10:13 AM.
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
<snip> The annoying pink color caste of Sigma lenses is unavoidable and hard to correct. If you have a cloth palate, you will not know what I am talking about, so go with the cheaper Sigma. If you are a connoisseur then stick with the Pentax. <snip>
Yes, Jeff - I can agree. I have never been happy with the renditions of non Pentax glass. I have tried other brands, but the colours were not the same. I ended up spending more on the Pentax glass than I should have because I wasted money on the alternative first. On slide film and on digital sensors, the difference in the image treatment of lenses by different manufacturers is surprisingly noticeable.
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should also throw the Tamron 10-24 into the mix since it sounds like it's becoming available finally. Sounds like it has the same edge softness issues as the Sigma 10-20, though that may be because of the 10mm ultra wide part...
11-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tried both and I liked the DA1224 better, so I bought it. No regret so far.
11-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Well what the others have said about color renditon of sigma 10-20mm is true. If 18mm focal length is enough I usually use 18-55mm kit lens instead of Sigma to get my shot. For wider shots I keep the Sigma. Sigma has better distortion control with 18mm though. I considered between Sigma and Pentax 12-24 quite a long time and went with Sigma. Now I would go with the Pentax for sure if the color control is anything like the kit lens.